vortech nooby has questions

jakesspv6

Established Member
Hi guys, I wasn't planning on supercharging my car anytime soon but i stumbled onto a v1 strim. I am currently talking with a guy about a treadstone intercooler and piping and my question is what else would I need to get this project going? What should I look into and upgrade before installing everything. I would rather get everything together right the first time instead of having to buy item, only to upgrade them later. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated..

Thank You
Jake

01yellercobra

Established Member
Fuel pump, MAF, and injectors are the other things you'll need to run the blower. What BOV does it come with? Is it set up for blow through or draw through.

ZeroDCX

Established Member
Fuel pump, MAF, and injectors are the other things you'll need to run the blower. What BOV does it come with? Is it set up for blow through or draw through.

This! With the tuning device of your choice (SCT X2, X3, X4, etc), oil feed/drain lines, extra vacuum line tubing for (depending on how you route them) the IAC, BPV/BOV, passenger side valve cover breather setup, passenger side SAI diverter valve, punch and 3/8 NPT tap for your oil drain to the oil pan, etc etc etc.

jakesspv6

Established Member
The seller said that is can be setup for both a blow through or draw through setup. What would you recommend?

01yellercobra

Established Member
Forgot about the feed lines. I was a Procharger guy.

Get a slot style MAF and run a blow through set up. It's easier to tune and the driveability will be much better.

VA-Mach1

Established Member
Download the install pdf from vortech website. It will help give you a idea of what is involved with a basic install. Then you can start thinking about how to change things.

Last edited:

Mach828

Established Member
I wouldn't get an S trim. Go with a Si or T.

Go to the vortech website and find the install instructions for your year. All the headunits use the same bracket. V3s are just self contained. That will give you an idea of all the parts you need for the basic non intercooled kit. Then just add your intercooler, piping, MAF, fuel system, and BOV.

jakesspv6

Established Member
Download the install pdf from vortech website. It will help give you a idea of what is involved with a basic install. Then you can start thinking about how to change things.

I wouldn't get an S trim. Go with a Si or T.

Go to the vortech website and find the install instructions for your year. All the headunits use the same bracket. V3s are just self contained. That will give you an idea of all the parts you need for the basic non intercooled kit. Then just add your intercooler, piping, MAF, fuel system, and BOV.

Honestly, I just got really good deal on the s trim, so I am starting here and will upgrade after I upgrade a few more things on the cobra. I also went to the vortech site and got the parts list, but the thing that somewhat confuses me is what gets left out when an intercooler gets added and what else I need for the intercooler to be installed.

cbrown9064

Established Member
Honestly, I just got really good deal on the s trim, so I am starting here and will upgrade after I upgrade a few more things on the cobra. I also went to the vortech site and got the parts list, but the thing that somewhat confuses me is what gets left out when an intercooler gets added and what else I need for the intercooler to be installed.

Search for intercooled setup a here and look at pics. There isn't such a thing as a intercooler "kit". Even the Paxton I have needed piping mods. Basically you mount up your intercooler of choice and figure out how you want to run your pipes, including intake. Such things as do you want to run a slot MAF and do you want to use the iat in the slot MAF or a separate iat, etc...etc... What injectors, what are you going to do with PS cooler, how are you going to plumb iac, what discharge tube, what about breathers/PVC, where are you getting vacuum for BOV, are you going to ditch thermactor, etc...etc...

There isn't a one size fits all.

1996MysticSnake

Established Member
Agreed....I did exactly what you're talking about to mine and there was definitely a lot of trial and error to get it all setup.

I think the biggest pita things were getting the intercooler mounted up correctly, had to bend the oil cooler around, running all the piping, getting the slot maf wiring correct, getting that damn belt on and aligned,etc.

projectslideway

Established Member
Here's my 3" Ebay intercooler pipe kit, dual 50mm bypass valve, Treadstone TR1245, HPX Blow through Setup; works great. Also homemade Ebay 4" power pipe into the fender.

994486_10152708136742402_7771952875490892385_n.jpg

10660094_10152710238842402_5381728220520694100_n.jpg

10500363_10152710239012402_5186705377439135300_n.jpg

10413294_10152710238937402_1479240855329987952_n.jpg

jakesspv6

Established Member
Ok, just to kind of bump this, I've been kind of reading around and learning more about the process. I am feel a little more comfortable buying what I need for the build now. I know a few things I am pulling the trigger on but need some advice on who and where I should get other parts from. I also wanted to know what pulley combo you guys would recommend for me if I am trying to hit around 550 hp.

vortech s trim
treadstone intercooler
cx racing piping
60lb seimen deka injectors
anderson power pipe

need help picking:
blow off valve
blow through MAF
pulleys
fuel pump(was thinking of getting a walbro 255)

ZeroDCX

Established Member
Do you currently have a built motor or are you planning on building your motor as you intend to hit 550rwhp with the Vortech kit? The stock motor will only hold up to 450rwhp with an excellent tune and that's on borrowed time.

MAF = HPX PMAS MAF
Blow Off Valve = Your choice. I've noticed most use the Tial Q 50mm BOV with supercharger spring, Vortech MaxFlow Race BPV or Procharger Big Red BOV. It depends on how loud you want it to be, how much you're willing to put up with and if you wish to recirculate the air or vent to atmosphere.
Fuel Pump = Walbro 255LPH (might run out of fuel) / Automotive 320LPH / Walbro 465LPH (requires modification to fit I believe)
Pulley Size = Depends on engine build specs and supercharger compressor map. Standard 3.6'' Pulley on a SC-Trim/S-Trim is 6-8psi (without power pipe), 400rwhp territory depending tuning factors. That is also non-intercooled of course.

If funds allow, it would benefit you to send the SC-Trim/S-Trim unit back to Vortech for the SI-Trim impeller and volute upgrade. Last I checked it was around $329 for the satin unit and a little more the the polished unit. That way you could minimize belt slip with using larger blower pulleys than if you were still using the SC-Trim/S-Trim to reach your desired goal. A Thump RRR Tensioner might be in your future as well as an 8-rib pulley/belt upgrade.

Last edited:

jakesspv6

Established Member
Yes sir I should have said something from the beginning, but I have a forged motor currently in the car. I'll look into what you recommend thank you for your advice.

cbrown9064

Established Member
I don't know if you can get to 550 rwhp with a S trim. My buddy has one on a Fox, over spinning it and getting 10psi. He lays don about 400rwhp. About GJE same as me under spinning a N2k.

A T trim would get you there, as would the F1A, YSi or Novi 2k.

Last edited:

ZeroDCX

Established Member
I don't know if you can get to 550 rwhp with a S trim. My buddy has one on a Fox, over spinning it and getting 10psi. He lays don about 400rwhp. About GJE same as me under spinning a N2k.

A T trim would get you there, as would the F1A, YSi or Novi 2k.

I believe an S-Trim could get you there, depending on your setup. But to make things easier, this is why I recommended the S-Trim to SI-Trim upgrade. It flows 50cfm less than the T-Trim for much less cost and picks up boost sooner.

You also have to remember that the pushrod 302 and modular 281 are different animals when it comes to forced induction. At 6-8psi, the 4.6L is already at 400rwhp territory, non-intercooled.

cbrown9064

Established Member
I believe an S-Trim could get you there, depending on your setup. But to make things easier, this is why I recommended the S-Trim to SI-Trim upgrade. It flows 50cfm less than the T-Trim for much less cost and picks up boost sooner.

You also have to remember that the pushrod 302 and modular 281 are different animals when it comes to forced induction. At 6-8psi, the 4.6L is already at 400rwhp territory, non-intercooled.

Agreed they are different (SBF v. Mod), but I don't think I am laying down 400rwhp on a Mustang dyno at 10psi now, versus stock was 250. Maybe 15hp for every 10 psi? I am not aggressive on timing right now, but don't want detonation either.

My point being at 6-8 psi he is making 350-360rwhp? If he wants to get to 550rwhp, gonna need a lot more than 10psi. Or 10psi and a 150 shot...

Last edited:

ZeroDCX

Established Member
Agreed they are different (SBF v. Mod), but I don't think I am laying down 400rwhp on a Mustang dyno at 10psi now, versus stock was 250. Maybe 15hp for every 10 psi? I am not aggressive on timing right now, but don't want detonation either.

My point being at 6-8 psi he is making 350-360rwhp? If he wants to get to 550rwhp, gonna need a lot more than 10psi. Or 10psi and a 150 shot...

I'm assuming you're intercooled with the Novi 2000? You'd have to be putting down more than 400rwhp with a intercooled centri at 10 psi. Well depending on timing anyway. But I witnessed a 96-98 Cobra non-intercooled Vortech V1 S-Trim pushing 7psi, with belt slippage, that hit a hair over 400rwhp with 14* of timing at 6.5k rpms (while I was at the shop). Your car should be near or at the limit of the stock shortblock.

Edit: A few others that have done the same.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?518603-96-98-vortech-d-cobra-owners

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread