vortech blower for z06

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
If I had lotsa money and no brain, I would have bought a Z06 instead of the Cobra (it's what I originally wanted). A Viper is a joke. Drive one, you'll see. You're paying 2x+ the price of the Cobra, it's not that much faster, and it is even LESS refined than a mustang!!! :eek: For Viper money, I'd buy a 911 TT. I could care less about image, I drive the wheels off of my cars (I put 50,000 HARD miles on my C5 in 2 years). I wanted a reasonably comfortable car with a full warranty that could be built to handle more HP than I could ever want for minimal $$$. I've looked, and there isn't another car that fit the bill. I don't think Supras even respond this well to mods. Vette's are great cars, but parts for one will cost you out the a$$.

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
I wish people could stop these arguments, they are getting really old. The Z06 is a very good car, but since its an expensive car the parts for it tend to be expensive. Its dissapointing but that doesn't mean a less expensive car is better. Didn't the guy SW drive a white Z06 (Z07) to a 9.9 1/4mile with drag radials? And that is a street car that can be driven every day. The cobra and the Z06 are great, I love my cobra, it can easily compete with the Z06. Just like someone said earlier, it all depends on what the person does to the car.

Got Incon?

Government Slave
Established Member
98 Kobra, your argument is idiotic, for less money hundreds of people in cheaper cars could whoop your arse! People take POS's and make them run 10's for almost nothing. So the Z06 owner pays 7K for a supercharger, in the end, he still has a NICER CAR THAN YOURS.

And some guy who pays 100K to mod his 996 Turbo has a nicer car than the Z06.

Just because you can't afford it doesn't mean its dumb. Its just not for you. So don't buy it and quit bitchin.

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Originally posted by KevinJKD
I wish people could stop these arguments, they are getting really old. The Z06 is a very good car, but since its an expensive car the parts for it tend to be expensive. Its dissapointing but that doesn't mean a less expensive car is better. Didn't the guy SW drive a white Z06 (Z07) to a 9.9 1/4mile with drag radials? And that is a street car that can be driven every day. The cobra and the Z06 are great, I love my cobra, it can easily compete with the Z06. Just like someone said earlier, it all depends on what the person does to the car.

Agreed, what you want determines what's best for you. If we all liked the same stuff, this would be a pretty boring world.

03DOHC

Established Member
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by NetworkingGuru
Agreed, what you want determines what's best for you. If we all liked the same stuff, this would be a pretty boring world.

It was going fine until the pro vette anti-'03 Cobra crowd thought they'd ejimacate us ignorant folk. That's how it happens every time.

Last time I checked this was an SVT Board, hense the name svtperformance.com :bored: , and not chebby.com. Seems to me the Camaro/Firebird guys who post here, who are very cool, could teach the former and present local vette owners some things.

Anyway

:read: ......

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Originally posted by 03DOHC
quote:

It was going fine until the pro vette anti-'03 Cobra crowd thought they'd ejimacate us ignorant folk. That's how it happens every time.

Last time I checked this was an SVT Board, hense the name svtperformance.com :bored: , and not chebby.com. Seems to me the Camaro/Firebird guys who post here, who are very cool, could teach the former and present local vette owners some things.

Anyway

Hey now, I am one of those former Vette owners (in fact, I still wore a vette watch until yesterday, when I broke it wrenching on the Cobra :cryying: ). Don't be dissin on me like dat :nono: :thumbsup:

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by NetworkingGuru
Hey now, I am one of those former Vette owners (in fact, I still wore a vette watch until yesterday, when I broke it wrenching on the Cobra :cryying: ). Don't be dissin on me like dat :nono: :thumbsup:

Got Incon?

Government Slave
Established Member
Originally posted by 03DOHC
quote:

Anyway

Besides maybe one post, who the hell went pro Vette?

Friendchicken

Originally posted by Got Incon?
98 Kobra, your argument is idiotic, for less money hundreds of people in cheaper cars could whoop your arse! People take POS's and make them run 10's for almost nothing. So the Z06 owner pays 7K for a supercharger, in the end, he still has a NICER CAR THAN YOURS.

And some guy who pays 100K to mod his 996 Turbo has a nicer car than the Z06.

Just because you can't afford it doesn't mean its dumb. Its just not for you. So don't buy it and quit bitchin.

It has nothing to do with whoever has the most money wins or who has the better car. Of course anyone with more money than brains will win.

But for the people back here on earth, that's a hella lota of $$ for one mod to bring 100 hp on any car.
It only costs us $3-4 K for us to get from 360 to 500 hp.
140hp for 4K vs the Z06@ 100hp for 7k.

And I am the idiot how?

Got Incon?

Government Slave
Established Member
56K is alot of money for a car.

But they spent that and want more, so what if its 7K, they afforded the car didn't they?

If your so damn concerned for a Z06 owners well being and financial stability, why don't you market your own supercharger system and sell it to them for $3-4K.

Maybe by the very fact they afforded a very expensive car they can afford an expensive upgrade mod. Vortech knows this, just as LPE can charge an arm and a leg for their shit. Because people will pay.

And your an idiot for acting like your new Cobra was the best bang for the buck, how you paid 30 something and now with 3-4K more you can go faster. There are plenty of other cars who can go faster if you dump all that money into them. So why didn't you buy some POS and throw money at it? Because you have a nice car now that can go fast. And guess what, the Z06 is a nicer car than a Cobra anyday of the week, and need I tell you that adding 100 hp to it will make it wicked fast because the 03' is so damn HEAVY! Not to mention the Z06 would out handle your new car. SO why didn't you get the Z06? I'm going to guess its because you can't afford a car like that. And I'm not being pro-Z06, but if you bought a Cobra because you feel its the best thing out there your delusional. Maybe it can claim the title of best new car out there that you can afford. I haven't seen to many people here saying that they had $80K to spend, but instead of a Z06 they decided just to get an 03' because with 3-4K in mods it could really go. Please, like you would take a Cobra over a Z06 if the keys were handed to you.

03DOHC

Established Member
Please, like you would take a Cobra over a Z06 if the keys were handed to you.
I would take the zo6 and sell it. Then I'd buy another '03 Cobra. As far as the vette being "nicer" goes, you are "delusional" if you think YOUR opinion is the only opinion. "Nicer" is in the eyes of the beholder, just to give you half a clue, or the entire frickin planet would be busting down chebby dealers doors to get zo6's if it was so nice.

And WTF does any of this have to do w/poking fun at a $7,000 chebby blower? Funny how that works.

Got Incon?

Government Slave
Established Member
If they sold Z06's for 33K and could keep up with demand, I bet MOST current 03' owners would have bought a Z06 instead. I am sorry, but the Z06 IS a better all around car. The reason people aren't busting down the chebby delaers doors to get one, to give you half a clue, is because its priced accordingly. Same reason people aren't busting down the doors of other dealerships for other nice cars. You don't have to agree with this, but I bet most people would.

If they were offering new F50's for 33K, I would buy it over the cobra and vette, but gee, they don't offer it for that..... So it is what it is. I have never owned a chevy in my life, yet I take offense to short sighted people who think because they bought something its the best and act like someone else is stupid for going a different path. It happens in every crowd. Here, LS1's, supras, hondas.....you name it. The 03' isn't the end all to performance, and from what I have seen on here it seems to have some pretty common quality issues.

Evilcartman

Established Member
"Installation time runs around 16-24 hours."

That is crazy. That would suck to install. Then think about replacing the plugs and stuff in the future. I thought our engine bay was packed in with the blower.

So it the blower is $7k how much would someone charge to install it? Most shops charge $50-85 per/hr then times 16-24, that's $800-2,040. Then if you blow the motor, you can't just return it back to stock real easy to take it in for Warranty. Retail on our whole engine/blower assembly is only $13,000. I guess you have to pay if you are going to play.:)

Silver 03 Cobra

I would bet more than half the 03 owners on this board could afford a Z06 and many even a Viper. I have seen many posts from people buying Z06's for mid-forties with a rebate. The Z06 does not appeal to me and I'll never owned one. I bought a brand new '92 Vette and it was the biggest mistake of my life. I got the Vette thing out of my blood a long time ago. I'll bet my Cobra would get more attention at the tracks around here than a Z06.

Lotsafastrides, you're claiming we paid Ford $7k for our blower. That's just BS. I've owned a 99 and an 01 Cobra. The 01 Cobra coupe sold for around $28k. For $7k we got the blower, intercooler, aluminum FW, better clutch, T56 transmission, Bilstien struts and shocks, better seats, specific springs, better halfshafts, bushings and braces, 17 x 9 wheels with 275 rubber, new body stying with an awesome engine hood, plus a few more. Ford did a hell of a job with the 03. It will be a long time before the performance per dollar value in this car will ever be topped if ever. Vette owners and LS1 drivers need to get over it.

I didn't look at the link to Vortech but I'm assuming this must come with an aftercooler with that price. But, as with most newer cars, I would say installation costs would add another $3k easily if it is done correctly with a dyno tune. That's not even adding any forges internals. For 100 HP. Bwahahahahahahaha. Just read the MM&FF article on the 03 exhaust swap and gained 55 rwhp and 40 rwt. Thats at the wheels. That would be close to 65 HP at the crank for less than $1000. I put the exact same exhaust on my buddies 03 and he went from a baseline of 362/374 to 427/411 SAE on the same dyno. Even more gains. Hell, I'll take the 03 over the Z06 anyday. If it takes $10k to blow my doors off, my hats off to you. But, it isn't reliable or practicle. Another thing about Vortech is that they have been notorious for overstating HP gains. ATI took them to court over their claims and they have backed down considerably on the power ratings. The 100 HP stated is at the crank, not the rear wheels.

Something else that is funny to me it that most of the Z06 versus the 03 Cobra is by Vette and Chevy owners. Personally, everytime they bring it up it is just :chicken: .

Last edited by a moderator:

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Originally posted by Silver03Snake
I would bet more than half the 03 owners on this board could afford a Z06 and many even a Viper. I have seen many posts from people buying Z06's for mid-forties with a rebate. The Z06 does not appeal to me and I'll never owned one. I bought a brand new '92 Vette and it was the biggest mistake of my life. I got the Vette thing out of my blood a long time ago. I'll bet my Cobra would get more attention at the tracks around here than a Z06.

Lotsafastrides, you're claiming we paid Ford $7k for our blower. That's just BS. I've owned a 99 and an 01 Cobra. The 01 Cobra coupe sold for around $28k. For $7k we got the blower, intercooler, aluminum FW, better clutch, T56 transmission, Bilstien struts and shocks, better seats, specific springs, better halfshafts, bushings and braces, 17 x 9 wheels with 275 rubber, new body stying with an awesome engine hood, plus a few more.

I didn't look at the link to Vortech but I'm assuming this must come with an aftercooler with that price. But, as with most newer cars, I would say installation costs would add another $3k easily if it is done correctly with a dyno tune. That's not even adding any forges internals.

Something else that is funny to me it that most of the Z06 versus the 03 Cobra is by Vette and Chevy owners. Personally, everytime they bring it up it is just :chicken: .

Well, I'll agree with you that the Cobra gets more attention than the Vette. When I had my Vette, no one ever asked about it. They looked sometimes, but everyone who did talk to me thought I must have been either a daddy's boy or made a ton off of the stock market (Hey, it's not THAT expensive). With the Cobra, I get TONS of great comments from everyone. I took it to the car show at Tower Shops twice, and got TONS of traffic both times. Talked about the car all I could stand to Vette, BMW, Mustang, Camaro, and even RICE owners. I only took the Corvette to one car show, because no one paid it much attention :shrug: I will say though that the C5 is built a lot better and performs a lot better than the 92 C4 you had. You owe it to yourself to drive a C5 someday. It's a great car. That being said, I could have swang a Z06, personally, but it would have hurt, and I would have had jack left to hot rod it with. THAT'S why I bought a Cobra. It was the fastet, nicest new car that I could afford to hot rod. And I stilll haven't gotten the hot rod bug outta my system yet :)

ItsYellow

Established Member
What are we talking about here guys? Is it the price of aftermarket modifications are the price of the vehicle? I am not sure how much the Cobra guys are spending on their cars, but I purchased my Z06 for 46K. My brother and his friend got theirs for 44K and 47K. Even at 47K that are considerable lower than someone’s stated 56k. Just like any major investment you have to shop around for the best price. I would imagine the typical cobra guy is paying in the mid 30’s for his/her vehicle. That would put both cars within 10K of each other. In my opinion, both vehicles are over priced.
Prior to purchasing my Z06 I looked at the Cobra. I also owned a ’97 cobra so I am familiar with the vehicles. Stock to stock, you got a lot in performance and creature comforts. As mentioned above, any car can be made to run like a bat out of hell. With the cobra in order to run with the Vette you have to add some major horsepower. A lot of mustang guys have accomplished that, but in the process of doing so they pushing their vehicle beyond their design limits. They are over spinning their superchargers by 6k RPM and over torquing transmissions that are only rated for 450 foot pounds of torque. Who knows how these vehicles will hold up after 30k plus worth of miles with them being run so hard?
With the Vette you have a car that has incredible straight-line acceleration plus has incredible breaking, cornering etc. Over all the performance is awesome. The Z06 doesn’t need as much of a dramatic horsepower increase for its acceleration to improve due to it being lighter than the cobra. For example, in order for the cobra to neutralize the weight advantage of the Vette, for every 100 horse the vette added the cobra would have to add 189 horse to equal out to the same power to weight ratio.

The Vette, in my opinion, also has the nicer motor for performance. The LS6 is a very straightforward and easy motor to work on. It’s not uncommon for Vette/Trans Am/Camarro people to install a cam over the weekend. Anyone with a basic knowledge of a motor can work on them. With the LS6 being a larger displacement motor you are displacing the amount of load in the combustion chamber over more surface area and are not as likely to break something. With just a simple head and cam package you can obtain 500 + horse power without boost or N02.

With the vette you also get a lot of nice creature comforts like Head-Up Display, dual A/C climate controls, Memory power seats, Electrochromic mirrors, etc. It’s the little things like that makes the car fun to drive and livable.

Once again, it comes down too what you want and what you can afford. Both cars are awesome.

03DOHC

Established Member
If they sold Z06's for 33K and could keep up with demand, I bet MOST current 03' owners would have bought a Z06 instead. I am sorry, but the Z06 IS a better all around car. The reason people aren't busting down the chebby delaers doors to get one, to give you half a clue, is because its priced accordingly. Same reason people aren't busting down the doors of other dealerships for other nice cars. You don't have to agree with this, but I bet most people would.

If they were offering new F50's for 33K, I would buy it over the cobra and vette, but gee, they don't offer it for that..... So it is what it is. I have never owned a chevy in my life, yet I take offense to short sighted people who think because they bought something its the best and act like someone else is stupid for going a different path. It happens in every crowd. Here, LS1's, supras, hondas.....you name it. The 03' isn't the end all to performance, and from what I have seen on here it seems to have some pretty common quality issues.
I never once said the '03 Cobra was faster than the zo6 stock or the end all to performance. As far as quality goes I am more than qualified to comment on that too. I not only was a Ford mechanic, I also wrenched at Acura, Chrysler and GM dealers. The '03 Cobra isn't the only vehicle with quality issues, just to give you a clue.:kaboom:

GM can't sell them for $33K because it costs more to produce that car. They are in the business to make money so if they could afford to sell the zo6 for $33K and that would be the ringer which would allow them to sell hundreds of thousands of them don't you think they'd do it?

I am not shortsighted. I have owned two GM products and I liked both of them, however I prefer the Cobra over what GM has to offer. I preferred the '97 Cobra I purchaced over what GM had to offer at that time too. Was my '97 Cobra faster than GM's offerings then? No. That's not why I got it.

We were poking fun at something on an SVT Board, big freaking woop dee doo. Some didn't like it, too bad, get over it. If I went to ls1.com and started talking smack I could understand some getting pissed off. But guess what? This isn't www.chebby.com and if anyone feels the need to defend the zo6 because we were making fun of a $7,000 blower for the zo6 then you really need to get a life.:cryying: :cryying: :smmon: :rolleyes: :bored:

Users who are viewing this thread