Voltage loss

1raresnake

Established Member
Since I went from a 2.9 whipple set up/battery and fuse box stock location to a TT set up/Relocated battery to trunk and fuse box inside fender well, I have been having a voltage issue. Initially I thought I was the belt. Found out it was a bit big then swapped it out. Voltage went from12.9-13.2 to 13.8-14.4.

Well today I decided to go get some groceries(13 mile round trip). Park up and everything is fine. Go inside, purchase the groceries then I'm on my way. As I'm getting home, I see my battery light on. Check inside my arm rest to look at voltage through my Boost Leash and it's at 10.9-11.3.

Alternator or is a Nations Denso alt and battery is a brand new Red Top Optima. What could possibly cause the voltage loss? Any ideas would greatly help.

279579B3-580E-4A7E-AC76-E5108528F02A.jpg

E8875E88-F37C-449D-B385-745D4849B63A.jpg

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I had some bad luck with optima batteries a few years ago.. Brand new and 2 of the cells were dead..

What size pulley do you have the alternator? Is it a stock size from a 99/01 Cobra?

1raresnake

Established Member
I had some bad luck with optima batteries a few years ago.. Brand new and 2 of the cells were dead..

What size pulley do you have the alternator? Is it a stock size from a 99/01 Cobra?

I believe it's the stock size Chris. I had an optima warranted last month after 1.5 years.

Venomous 03

Established Member
Sick setup.
Hook up a multimeter to ground and check voltage AT the alternator(assuming your gauge is connected at the battery)
If voltage is bad,the alternator is at fault,if its not,check the wiring going to the battery and your fuse box

Best of luck

Last edited:

1raresnake

Established Member
Sounds good. Thanks for the advice.
Sick setup.
Hook up a multimeter to ground and check voltage AT the alternator(assuming your gauge is connected at the battery)
If voltage is bad,the alternator is at fault,if its not,check the wiring going to the battery and your fuse box

Best of luck

1raresnake

Established Member
Well I figured out that my 200amp circuit breaker feeding my nations 180amp alternator popped. I reset it and parked it over night. Well I took it for another drive and again the circuit breaker popped. Is the gauge of the cable too small? It's a 2awg cable. Any advice will help.

Bigggy

Established Member
I would say that 2awg is too small, but it should not affect your setup that way. The current will be the same in either a 2awg or 0awg or whatever, but the voltage will be bigger with a smaller cable. In your case if the breaker trip, maybe there is something wrong with your alternator.

Turbo98

FR500TT
Established Member
How do you have that breaker wired in? I doubt you're pulling more than 200 amps unless you have some heavy equipment. I also have my battery in the trunk and wanted to protect the heavy wire heading to the front so I installed a breaker right off the battery. I can't remember but I don't think it's as high as a 200A and the only way it would come close to tripping is when cranking it for a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread