Voles...

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Some say get grub killer because they eat grubs, the trap is really the only sure thing.
Just keep setting the trap until the tunnels are gone. It will take a few weeks but eventually you will thin them out.
This. Moles, which can and to my knowledge dig just under the dirt so you see them as they dig. Kill the food, they move on. Or so I'm told. Never heard of the other...must research.

Last edited:

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Look up 'rodenator' on Youtube. This thing uses propane and oxygen to flood tunnels, and a spark igniter.

OMG, remember this?

Comments are gold, like...

IMG_0318.jpeg

Last edited:

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
I'm just gonna say it. I had to Google what the hell a vole is. Cute little guy.

Get a cat?

View attachment 1815464

Sent from my SM-S908U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Cats are NFG. Voles destroy yards under the cover of snow.

IMG_0331.jpeg

Pellets coated with castor oil, peppermint, etc., spread on your lawn just before it's covered with snow will slow/stop the little democrats.

Best I've found. Advertised for moles/gophers, it works on voles too.

IMG_0332.jpeg

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
Voles generally leave little troughs in your yard. Small, open exposed trenches. Moles **** everything up.

Also, cats wont do anything for moles. We have between 15-30 cats depending on the season/attrition/murder rate, and they don’t do a damn thing to moles. (Moles might actually be the ones that make dogs and cats sick if they eat them)

95oRANGEcRUSH

Who's that whore?
Established Member
These are the best I've used.

View attachment 1815452

About 75% catch/kill rate.
Simple, safe for everyone but the mole, expensive, made in USA, won't break, won't rust, pretty effective.

I've had some luck with the traps that have the spring loaded tines stabbing them, but they don't go deep enough.

I've tried poison pellets and worms. Jeez, idk, that's ~50% success rate too. I don't like using poison. Besides, I want to see their dead carcass - lol.

IMHO, observations and keys to catching/killing moles:
1) Use on fresh (within 12 hours) of them digging new, active tunnels.
2) They normally tunnel more after a rain.
3) Try to keep your hand scent off trap, especially the scissors.
4) Don't flatten out any more of the fresh tunnel other than where you set the trap.
4) Set trap as directed. Dude in video does it correctly.
5) IF you are successful, it'll be within the first 24 hours after you set the trap. After that, your success rate is ~ 10%.
6) I've caught them at all times of the day. Mostly late day, or early morning.
7) At times I've put the dead carcass back in the tunnel, other times, thrown it in the woods. Not really sure that it makes a difference.

Good luck!

OP follow this post as this is the only way to be 100% sure your effort is paying off. All points are valid, especially #5. Often times, I'd set the trap and within 30-60 minutes it would be triggered with a dead mole in it. If the trap wasn't triggered within 12 hours, I'd take it out and reset it somewhere else. I'd recommend scoring your soil where the blades go in so they can close freely, too. I've killed probably 8-9 moles in our backyard over the course of a year using one of these traps and the Tomcat worms. My success rate was far higher with the trap than the worms. This is the one I have: Tomcat mole trap.

In a couple cases, I had moles die on the surface after I put worms in the holes. This is not preferred as a pet could eat the dead mole and get sick; you want the poisoned mole to die in the hole. I wanted them dead any way I could so I used the trap and worms to increase my odds.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
OP, getting rid of the grubs in the soil, beneath the grass, is supposed to be the key to ridding yourself of moles/gophers. Maybe someone else has done it.

I've never bothered. Two sides of my yard are bordered by woods/field that I don't own.

BLOWN PONY

Established Member
These are the best I've used.

View attachment 1815452

About 75% catch/kill rate.
Simple, safe for everyone but the mole, expensive, made in USA, won't break, won't rust, pretty effective.

I've had some luck with the traps that have the spring loaded tines stabbing them, but they don't go deep enough.

I've tried poison pellets and worms. Jeez, idk, that's ~50% success rate too. I don't like using poison. Besides, I want to see their dead carcass - lol.

IMHO, observations and keys to catching/killing moles:
1) Use on fresh (within 12 hours) of them digging new, active tunnels.
2) They normally tunnel more after a rain.
3) Try to keep your hand scent off trap, especially the scissors.
4) Don't flatten out any more of the fresh tunnel other than where you set the trap.
4) Set trap as directed. Dude in video does it correctly.
5) IF you are successful, it'll be within the first 24 hours after you set the trap. After that, your success rate is ~ 10%.
6) I've caught them at all times of the day. Mostly late day, or early morning.
7) At times I've put the dead carcass back in the tunnel, other times, thrown it in the woods. Not really sure that it makes a difference.

Good luck!
I appreciate the time you took to post, but that's for MOLES. I'm dealing with VOLES.
I don't think the trap works for something as small as a vole. I think I'm going to try some of the poisons for the side/front.
Anyone had any luck with the noise making ones?

Thanks for all the help fellas!

BLOWN PONY

Established Member
OP, getting rid of the grubs in the soil, beneath the grass, is supposed to be the key to ridding yourself of moles/gophers. Maybe someone else has done it.

I've never bothered. Two sides of my yard are bordered by woods/field that I don't own.
Pretty sure that's for Moles. Voles eat vegetation.

Users who are viewing this thread