VMP upgrades

fireman02

Established Member
I have a VMP w/gt500 t/b on the way and have few ?’s plan is to run a 93oct tune at 16-17lbs. Over the winter I acquired the following: Afco h/e, SCT ba-2600, kenne bell bap, & fms 60lb injectors.
I still need to acquire some odds and ends. I plan to run just the 3” upper. On a previous Cobra I had a whipple w/ 3.5 upper and 4lb lower and the metco 3.2 alternator pulley.
Do I need to run the alternator pulley with this setup?
On the fence between getting the other 3 billetflow idlers (100mmx2 & 90mmx1) I need or spending the $ on the metco d/b 4 piece idler set.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

fireman02

Established Member
1 more question, which head cooling mod kit
Lethal perf GEN 2 kit or
MMR head cooling mod kit?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

cj428mach

Established Member
Mmr head cooling mod doesn't work with egr, it also requires pulling the transmission.

Im confused are you going to run a 4lb pulley on this car? You only worry about the alternator pulley if you change out the lower.

fireman02

Established Member
Nope, just the 3” upper. I didn’t think I had to without running a lower pulley but I wanted to make sure.

blownfox

Established Member
I don't think you can go wrong with either idlers. I ordered metco d/b when I first bought my car. I installed the Lethal gen 2 kit last year when I did the VMP upgrade.

If you go back to the stock lower, I think you would want to run the stock alt pulley. You could keep your 4lb lower and run a 3.3 SC pulley.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Don't cut corners on not getting the idlers. They look way better than stock You've come this far, whats another $350.00? Be a shame to have a stock one grenade on you.

I speak from the first hand view a guy whos stock idler exploded and come out from under his car doing 70mph.....while i was following him. Glad I didn't loose my heat exchanger

Last edited:

Ryan2KRedL

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
I have a VMP w/gt500 t/b on the way and have few ?’s plan is to run a 93oct tune at 16-17lbs.
Do I need to run the alternator pulley with this setup?
On the fence between getting the other 3 billetflow idlers (100mmx2 & 90mmx1) I need or spending the $ on the metco d/b 4 piece idler set.
Thanks
@fireman02
Congrats on the decision to run the VMP! I have the VMP w/GT500 upgrade on my 2003 Cobra and love it!
You only need to run the alternator pulley if you run a large lower pulley such as a 4lb or larger.
I like the Metco idler pulley kit and run that on mine. Definitely do NOT keep the stock idlers on it. As already mentioned, they will come apart and tear stuff up.
You can expect high 500's hp at that boost level and alot of fun!
Ryan

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
I’m not sure if I’m misunderstanding your post but if you already have a single bearing idler I’d just get the other 3 with double bearings. You definitely want to upgrade the idlers though. I’ve got the same set up you mentioned and I put down 17.7lbs peak in hot weather on the dyno. It’s fun but I’m going to 22lbs and E85 this spring or summer when it gets hot. Good luck on the set up

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
Btw on a dynojet you should hit 600whp or very close on a corrected number. Mine did 578 then 596 then after a cool down 604 or 607. On 93oct

fireman02

Established Member
I’m not sure if I’m misunderstanding your post but if you already have a single bearing idler I’d just get the other 3 with double bearings. You definitely want to upgrade the idlers though. I’ve got the same set up you mentioned and I put down 17.7lbs peak in hot weather on the dyno. It’s fun but I’m going to 22lbs and E85 this spring or summer when it gets hot. Good luck on the set up

Yes I do already have the idler snub and pulley. Either way I’m addressing the rest of the pulleys, just on the fence of spending more for the metco’s vs just buying the rest of the billetflows.
I’m hoping/ assuming I’ll be at the 600hp level. I had a previous Cobra with the 2.3 whipple that made 607hp & 569 tq @ 17lbs on 93. I figure the VMP should be about the same.

2003SVTFreak

Established Member

I have all new idlers

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
I’m hoping/ assuming I’ll be at the 600hp level. I had a previous Cobra with the 2.3 whipple that made 607hp & 569 tq @ 17lbs on 93. I figure the VMP should be about the same. Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

From experience......

Same"ish" cars (Pump 93) I ran a Whip 2.3 w/ caged 4# Lower
than a Whipple 2.9
than a VMP with an Accufab TB 2.8 upper........
on a paper race and seat of the pants feel, the VMP put up better #'s the Whip 2.3. Especially on the TQ curve.

Users who are viewing this thread