VMP TVS - ECU Depinning Help

Uncle Rusty

Established Member
Hey guys, I'm on the last and fun/wonderful part of trying to figure out how to de-pin the ECU for the ACT wiring. I've looked at a few threads including the Roush Add-On Instructions here on SVT, but I still really can't figure out how you're exactly supposed to get the pin to disengage from the ECU, and also how you're supposed to remove the plastic small square "cover" in order to install pin C36... I tried pressing on it like the manual says, but it doesn't seem to budge at all and I'm afraid of breaking something.

Where exactly would I acquire one of these de-pinning tools to make the job easier? I called my local Autozone and they don't carry anything like that, and am not sure what exactly I'd need off of say Amazon. So far I've tried using a thin paperclip and a safety pin, and haven't had any luck and am afraid of messing it up. Also, another thing I don't understand is when tapping into the C56 pin, why do you even need to depin it in the first place? Could you not simply cut and solder the wire attached to it, I really don't see how de-pinning would be any better because in either case you've got 3 wires to solder together, or am I mistaken on that? In either case I really don't like the idea of cutting any of the ECU wiring.

Thanks in advance!

Uncle Rusty

Established Member
Thanks, that's the one I was already looking at actually though. Gonna call VMP tomorrow to see if they have any tips, I even found this fairly useful YouTube video explaining the process on a WRX but still no luck with my big hands.

BrianH87

Established Member
You really don't have to de-pin that one. As you said, you could just cut and solder or even crimp it. I ended up using the cheater solder connectors. You just heat them up with a heat gun and the internal solder melts, as does the heat shrink. If you're still struggling, just strip it back in place and then solder it.

bigblue95z

Established Member
That white pin cover should just pull right off. I had thought there was some locking mechanism keeping it on there, but there isn't. Just pull/pry carefully and it'll come off. Take a look in a hole of the connector plug on the front side where this is no pin currently. This way you can poke around without damaging the pin-lock piece on the one you're going to be using/modifying. You should be able to see a little plastic part that can be moved up/down. You'll need to get something in there small enough (I used very tiny electronics flathead screw driver) and pull that tab up so the pin will slide out. And others are right that you don't technically have to pull it out, but it makes everything much easier as there isn't much room to maneuver. One other note, be sure you solder that wire far enough back. You can easily misjudge how far that will slide back into the connector and it won't make it all the way back in.

Users who are viewing this thread