vmp tune, over fueling and running like crap

01poison320

Established Member
Ok basic run down here: I have a 03 gt, 5 speed, jlt rai, accufab 75mm tb and plenum, 24lb injectors from an 01 cobra, 4.10 gear, longtubes and offroad x, egr delete, 92 octane tune.
I have an sct x3 and basically no matter how long I let the car run to "get used to" the tune it keeps idling up and down and over fueling the engine like crazy. I try and rev it to get it kick over and run properly and then the idling goes up and down so low that the car shuts off after a couple times of the idle goin up and down.
So I reload the stock tune and the car runs fine........what the hell?!?!?!
I have been trying to figure it out with justin at vmp but I am totally confused as to whats going on with it. Oh and also the car has a dallas mustang speed recal box for the gear, I am trying to figure out if it is somehow causing interference with the tune/pcm or if there may be a chip in the pcm that the previous owner had installed for gas mileage possibly???
Any one have some insight for me as to which I should target first? Or maybe even a deffinite answer?
Everything on the car works perfect, no bad o2 sensors, all good spark plugs, all good cop's, injectors part number matches to 24lb's, all connectors hooked up, fuel pump is good, etc etc...I am lost. :??: :smmon:

01yellercobra

Established Member
If the car was chipped you wouldn't be able to flash the computer with a new tune. Is it a custom tune or a canned tune? Have you done any datalogging? It sounds like your tune is just way off. Probably for another kind of car. Or it has the wrong injector and/or MAF values loaded.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I have seen in the past where some of the Lightning guys have managed to flash a pmc that already had a chip in it and ended up with pretty weird issues, itd be worth double checking imho.

01poison320

Established Member
Yea I am planning on atleast checking to see if there is one somehow, but if not then I will probably go the route of checking with Justin one more time that the tune is for 24lb injectors only and a sohc 4.6 and stock 80mm maf. And if that once again still doesnt work I plan on just going and getting a dyno tune done.

01poison320

Established Member
alright, pulled the pcm over the weekend and no chip, connected everything back up and tried the tune one more time, still the same results. I am at a total loss, I am currently waiting on a response from justin at vmp to make sure the tune is for 24# injectors and what not and hopefully he can figure out what is wrong. Does anyone at all know if that dallas mustang speed recal box could be causing interference with the pcm/tune???
Because other than that I dont know what else to do besides see if a dyno tune will work so i can have a damn tune on my car so it runs better with all the mods on it.

brisk_tea

Established Member
the speedo recal box is redundant as you can do that with the x-cal3. why not remove it and sell it... that would remove one variable that you don't need

01poison320

Established Member
Yes I know the tuner can recalculate for the gears but I have to leave it on until I get the tune to work, but I plan on unhooking it sometime this week and putting the tune on and see what happens. Any other guess's as to what could be causing this guys?

01poison320

Established Member
Alright, its a few days later and no responses so figured I would update this since I still am trying to figure this out. I have now officially removed all possible conflictions.
Pulled out the speed recal box, still same result of car running like crap.
No chip on pcm.
Supposedly the tune is correct but Justin hasnt emailed me back in a total of 2 wks now despite me sending him 2 messages. I am about to call him to try and figure this out but at the same time I am kind of sick of messing with him and his bad customer service and just go to get the car dyno tuned.
Any more ideas what the problem is and what should I do with VMP?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
sorry its still ongoing...

Have you tried posting in his vendor section or sending him a PM as well?

Silver o1

Let the spooling begin
Established Member
Justin stands behind his work and will make it right. Customer service is a big part of VMP. I would highly reccommend VMP to anyone!

Brandon03Cobra

On a Boat..
Established Member
My cobra is doing the same thing after my KB install and tune from Amazon. I can plug in my stock maf and the car will idle and drive normal but when I plug in my MAFia or the new SCT BA2600 it idles terrible then dies. I have had another tuner to tell me that it is a vacuum leak but I wouldn't think so if it idles correctly with just a MAF swap.

01yellercobra

Established Member
My cobra is doing the same thing after my KB install and tune from Amazon. I can plug in my stock maf and the car will idle and drive normal but when I plug in my MAFia or the new SCT BA2600 it idles terrible then dies. I have had another tuner to tell me that it is a vacuum leak but I wouldn't think so if it idles correctly with just a MAF swap.

It sounds like your tune is adjusted for the stock MAF. In order to run the MAFia or another MAF the tune has to be adjusted.

Brandon03Cobra

On a Boat..
Established Member
It sounds like your tune is adjusted for the stock MAF. In order to run the MAFia or another MAF the tune has to be adjusted.

Thats what you would think but after talking to the tuner and getting a couple of updated tunes I still get the same results. He pulled as much fuel out the bottom end as he could and it still is too rich.

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
Thats what you would think but after talking to the tuner and getting a couple of updated tunes I still get the same results. He pulled as much fuel out the bottom end as he could and it still is too rich.

Just pulling fuel isn't the correct way to do it. There are values in the tune that have to be rescaled for whatever setting the MAFia is on. And the correct values for the MAF have to be loaded before anything is done.

Brandon03Cobra

On a Boat..
Established Member
^^ are you providing datalogs? are you sure you have the Mafia on the right setting?

Yes. I provided two datalogs a few weeks back. I don't have the MAFia on the car anymore. I bought a SCT BA2600 and it will not idle correctly but idles fine with the stock MAF.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread