Vmp power package upgrade 2011 gt500

ND69mach1

Established Member
I would like to see if some of you bought the jlt big air 2.5 inch pulley and tune from vmp and you honest thoughts on if it was a awesome upgrade vs a minor one. I guess overall worth it or not thanks guys

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
I didn't get the intake, but had their pulley and tune. If you are going from stock to this, it's a night and day difference! Stock these cars are so pathetic. The pulley and tune is how they should've come from the factory! Feels every bit of 600 crank hp, when done. If you can do it, get a heat exchanger upgrade. These two mods make the car 1000% more fun. My car made 475rwhp stock, and 530rwhp pulley and tune.

ND69mach1

Established Member
I didn't get the intake, but had their pulley and tune. If you are going from stock to this, it's a night and day difference! Stock these cars are so pathetic. The pulley and tune is how they should've come from the factory! Feels every bit of 600 crank hp, when done. If you can do it, get a heat exchanger upgrade. These two mods make the car 1000% more fun. My car made 475rwhp stock, and 530rwhp pulley and tune.
Thanks for the reply I will most likely do some cooling upgrades next. I'm looking forward to it just ordered it yesterday and damn is there there customer service good

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
The stock CAI is pretty good on the 2010 up. You don't really need a bigger tube with a M122 supercharger for a tune and a smaller pulley. Even the stock tube can outflow the throttle body by a huge margin. The point of increasing tube diameter is to recalibrate the airflow requirements for the change in signal the sensor interprets as airflow. A bigger tube fools the sensor into thinking it's metering less air due to the decrease in velocity of moving air in a bigger tube. The purpose of the bigger tube is to extend the range of the MAF. Once you step up to a larger supercharger, you will need the bigger tube.

If you have the big OEM resonator on your intake, JLT makes a sleeker tube to replace it. Ford Racing had a solution at one time, but it's been out of production for several years.

OP, my first mod was a TVS and a the twin 65mm throttle body. I skipped the smaller pulley on the stock supercharger, so I can't comment. I ran the stock CAI for a good while with that set up. I don't think you're leaving any power gain skipping the JLT 123mm CAI. An air box upgrade was more necessary with the older cars. 13-14s came with a TVS. It depends on your ultimate goals for the car, but you can kick the larger tube down the road and still do a tune and pulley with the stock supercharger.

XP900

Established Member
I went with the JLT CAI, 2.5 pulley and then the Ford Cobra 65 throttle body in the beginning. I had the SCT tuner with free BAMA tunes for each upgrades as long as you stayed with the stock SC and a few other requirements they had. I never had any issues with them and they did provide support for any issues I had just like VMP. Unless you are willing to spend a lot more that is about the cheapest upgrades that will give you a very noticeable power boost. You will feel the difference in the acceleration. The CAI will give you the supercharger whine that you don't hear with the stock intake. My CAI came with a 5x9 S&B filter #R1298 ( it just fits in the opening) but I think they normally come with a 5x7 intake air filter now.
The next boost upgrade will require a new SC usually and that is $$$. VMP use to have a SC Budget kit for just under $4K that included all the options needed (new SC, pulley, throttle body, injectors, CAI, tune) which was a nice upgrade kit. It had their Gen 2R SC.
The SCT tuner can be used by everyone for tuning usually (Bama, VMP and individual tuners) so it doesn't restrict you. If you do upgrade the throttle body with the CAI and pulley I would go with the VMP 67 throttle body one over the Ford 65mm one. Both around the same price $700+.

Users who are viewing this thread