VMP Gen3R TVS

KENS96M6

Established Member
Im in the same boat. Gen3 and 160. I have not even completed the tuning yet. I have a built motor but I will not upgrade to the R. Between the throttle body bolt pattern and the problems tuning it, I have a bit of a bad taste in my mouth right now!

RBB

Established Member
Im in the same boat. Gen3 and 160. I have not even completed the tuning yet. I have a built motor but I will not upgrade to the R. Between the throttle body bolt pattern and the problems tuning it, I have a bit of a bad taste in my mouth right now!
I'm in the same boat you are, not interested in upgrading to the R. I think it's safe to say that the 160 is garbage at this point. VMP let me exchange it for a twin 69, hoping that works out as I've been down since mid-March waiting on the 160s to ship.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Who's doing the tuning for your VMP 160? Has it went into fail safe mod or anything?

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
The fact that they seem to have abandoned the one-off throttle body bolt pattern should have anyone that ponied up for one of these more than a bit miffed. I know I'm pretty disappointed.

RBB

Established Member
The fact that they seem to have abandoned the one-off throttle body bolt pattern should have anyone that ponied up for one of these more than a bit miffed. I know I'm pretty disappointed.
Not happy with VMP at all lately on several fronts. I had to order a new 123mm intake to go along with my smaller TB and they sent me the wrong heat shield with it. No cutout for the fresh air snorkel, and the bolt hole doesn't match up. This was over 2 weeks ago and I'm still waiting on the correct heat shield....how hard is it to get that in the mail?

VMP Performance

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Not happy with VMP at all lately on several fronts. I had to order a new 123mm intake to go along with my smaller TB and they sent me the wrong heat shield with it. No cutout for the fresh air snorkel, and the bolt hole doesn't match up. This was over 2 weeks ago and I'm still waiting on the correct heat shield....how hard is it to get that in the mail?

Hey Sorry to hear that you're having problems getting that.

JLT actually had a run that got boxed wrong. We actually just got the correct heat shields in and have been trying to go through the list of everyone who got the wrong one, and ship them the correct one.

If you'd like just give a ring, and we will get it sent out today, if we haven't already

KENS96M6

Established Member
Who's doing the tuning for your VMP 160? Has it went into fail safe mod or anything?

Lund is doing the tuning. So far it has not went into fail safe mode but I only have 200 or 300 hundred miles. Tip in and drivability is not the best. I am still working with Lund and hopefully they can improve it some.

RBB

Established Member
Hey Sorry to hear that you're having problems getting that.

JLT actually had a run that got boxed wrong. We actually just got the correct heat shields in and have been trying to go through the list of everyone who got the wrong one, and ship them the correct one.

If you'd like just give a ring, and we will get it sent out today, if we haven't already
Yeah, I got the story on that. I finally took care of it myself today, gave JLT a call directly. They shipped me the correct one with a return label for the other shield. Thanks for the response, though.

RBB

Established Member
Lund is doing the tuning. So far it has not went into fail safe mode but I only have 200 or 300 hundred miles. Tip in and drivability is not the best. I am still working with Lund and hopefully they can improve it some.
If you've got 200-300 miles on it and it hasn't failsafed yet I think you can call it a winner. You're one of the few, though. My drivability with Lund was great with the 160, just couldn't get it to stay out of failsafe mode once it got hot.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member

If you've got 200-300 miles on it and it hasn't failsafed yet I think you can call it a winner. You're one of the few, though. My drivability with Lund was great with the 160, just couldn't get it to stay out of failsafe mode once it got hot.

I was about to say the same thing, If you've put that many miles on your 160 T/B and it hasn't went into fail safe then you should be good to go. I know RBB and me both had the same thing with our 160s. But I have the VMP twin 69mm T/B coming and should be good enough for me. I do hope eventually they get the 160s running perfect.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Forget the Gen3R if you are the 1% looking for that last little ounce of hp:

I watched that yesterday, It's insane to me that the Gen3R can make almost 100 more whp over the Gen3 and it does it pretty easily. I know it would be over kill for me, but I still wouldn't mind having one.

RBB

Established Member
I watched that yesterday, It's insane to me that the Gen3R can make almost 100 more whp over the Gen3 and it does it pretty easily. I know it would be over kill for me, but I still wouldn't mind having one.
Pretty impressive, but keep in mind that gain is at a high boost level running E85/race gas. I'd like to see the gains on the 3R over the Gen3 on a 93 octane setup.
I was about to say the same thing, If you've put that many miles on your 160 T/B and it hasn't went into fail safe then you should be good to go. I know RBB and me both had the same thing with our 160s. But I have the VMP twin 69mm T/B coming and should be good enough for me. I do hope eventually they get the 160s running perfect.
My heat shield for the CAI should finally be delivered today, so hoping to get some datalogs on the twin 69 tonight. Not holding my breath on the 160 ever working right, although I'm going to hold on to my DD149 for now just in case. The fact that VMP is going back to a stock bolt pattern on the 3R makes me think that they've pretty much given up on their monoblades.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Pretty impressive, but keep in mind that gain is at a high boost level running E85/race gas. I'd like to see the gains on the 3R over the Gen3 on a 93 octane setup.

My heat shield for the CAI should finally be delivered today, so hoping to get some datalogs on the twin 69 tonight. Not holding my breath on the 160 ever working right, although I'm going to hold on to my DD149 for now just in case. The fact that VMP is going back to a stock bolt pattern on the 3R makes me think that they've pretty much given up on their monoblades.
Unfortunately I think you're correct with the mono blades. Maybe VMP can chime in on that. And I'll have my twin 69mm T/B Thursday so I'll be datalogging that night, hopefully the 69 will be a good substitute for now.

luker669

Established Member
Anyone know what the secret sauce is.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

RBB

Established Member
So looks like we've got 2 new monoblades that're designed to fit the 3R with no adapters or modifications.

RBB

Established Member
They appear to be Coyote specific.
I would speculate that they're coming for the GT500 as well, unless they're just going to keep using the 160 and 173 with some sort of adapter. Or maybe not, the small one doesn't really seem necessary since we have a twin 69. The larger one is basically the same thing as the 160....unless it's been revised once again and working well now.

Last edited:

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
I would speculate that they're coming for the GT500 as well...

I recall Justin stating that VMP would be bringing back the Ford Performance SCJ Mono-blade throttle body design at some point since they know how to tune around its quirks, just not sure that is still in the cards with the twin 69mm being released.

Users who are viewing this thread