VMP Gen 3 vs 3R

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
It is with deep regret that I am posting a blower thread. Not an invite to conduct blower wars...

Gen3 - $2799.00
Gen3R - $4299.00

This is a $1500.00 difference and my thinking is that, is the cost gap worth it? This is a car that I will never fully use all the power potential of either blower. I do know that the Gen3 had issues with certain throttle bodys and an adapter needs to be ran etc.

Its really tough, if not, impossible to find side by side comparisons, but what I do know is that the VMP units have always done well for me before so I want to stick with what I know works for me.

I suppose going from a Gen3 to 3R would not warrant the cost, but, going stock trinity to a Gen 3 or 3R would be a substantial gain and seat of the pants ride.

Now, do I spend the extra $1500 or use that $1500 else where?

Projected Supporting Mods
Twin 67MM
JLT 123MM
1000 ID
2.6 or 2.8 upper (blower dependent)
stock lower
ARH Headers Hi Flo mid
3:73

pump 93 and Pump 93 with Boostane

Last edited:

VMP Performance

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
It is with deep regret that I am posting a blower thread. Not an invite to conduct blower wars...

Gen3 - $2799.00
Gen3R - $4299.00

This is a $1500.00 difference and my thinking is that, is the cost gap worth it? This is a car that I will never fully use all the power potential of either blower. I do know that the Gen3 had issues with certain throttle bodys and an adapter needs to be ran etc.

Its really tough, if not, impossible to find side by side comparisons, but what I do know is that the VMP units have always done well for me before so I want to stick with what I know works for me.

I suppose going from a Gen3 to 3R would not warrant the cost, but, going stock trinity to a Gen 3 or 3R would be a substantial gain and seat of the pants ride.

Now, do I spend the extra $1500 or use that $1500 else where?

Both are fantastic blowers, and it really just comes down to what your power goal is. The 3R is more capable, but the Gen3 has been proven to make 1,000whp with the right supporting mods.

Here is a back to back comparison done by the guys over at Lund where our Gen3R makes 1290whp

You can always give us a call with any questions that you may have!

We are here to help.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Both are fantastic blowers, and it really just comes down to what your power goal is. The 3R is more capable, but the Gen3 has been proven to make 1,000whp with the right supporting mods.

Here is a back to back comparison done by the guys over at Lund where our Gen3R makes 1290whp

You can always give us a call with any questions that you may have!

We are here to help.

750rwhp/700rwtq without adding or messing with aftermarket crank pulley. wanna stay off that and shifting around 6300rpms

axo250

Established Member
I recently put the Gen3 on my 2011 GT500. Had it dyno’ed at VMP yesterday as a matter of fact.

Given you can easily dance around the limits of the stock motor with either blower, it may be difficult to justify the added expense of the 3R. You’re essentially talking mid 700s (gen3) vs upper 700s (gen3r) between the two on straight 93. Boostane will obviously up those numbers. I recommend speaking to someone at VMP directly about what each blower will do with your setup. Be honest with yourself and them about your goals and they will steer you in the right direction. Ultimately I ordered the Gen3 from Jordan Weir (nice guy btw) as I wanted a straight 93 octane non-track-car and was comfortable not having the absolute highest possible hp number. I’m also sufficiently close to what appears to be the stock motor’s hp limit but still relatively safe.

Regarding the throttle body, the adapter plate is no big deal to me and I am running the cobra jet twin 65. Drives just fine.

Feel free to message me if you want to chat further.

Last edited:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
On pump gas (with or without Boostane), and for your goals, the Gen 3 and using the $1500 towards supporting mods will make for a better street package.
Boost should come on a slight bit quicker and should be stronger down low.
If the $1500 doesn’t matter, then go 3R.
I only went to a 3R because it gains directly where I use it on track over 6000rpm.
If you want a nice Gen 3 for $2500 with some extras thrown in for free (pulleys, belt, TB adapter, all new install hardware) shipped in a 3R box, shoot me a PM :)
-J

darksykal

Established Member
do you guys all have built motors? probably a ridiculous question but do these aftermarket blowers need built motors?
I thought you could make the same power limits (700-750rwhp) with just pulley/intake/tb/headers/tune so just curious if you guys all go the route of bigger blowers because of built motors?

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
do you guys all have built motors? probably a ridiculous question but do these aftermarket blowers need built motors?
I thought you could make the same power limits (700-750rwhp) with just pulley/intake/tb/headers/tune so just curious if you guys all go the route of bigger blowers because of built motors?

So, I'll give you my perspective, as an owner.
@biminiLX and others can really take you deep into the rabbit hole on this.

No you do not need a built motor. Safe levels can be run on pump 93 or 93 with an octane additive.

I do not have a built motor, stock with 2800 miles
I have owned 3 other cars that had VMP blowers on them.
From a cost perspective, I don't want to port the Trinity.
The VMP unit is more efficient at making more power than the Trinity blower.
And also more TORQUE, which on the street and for 90% of owners, is where the fun is

I will let others chime in on Trinity potential.

Trinity, 2.4 upper, 3:73 gears, JLT, 65mm, and my car feels like a slug....slow af

Last edited:

fearthesnake

Established Member

No you do not need a built motor. Safe levels can be run on pump 93 or 93 with an octane additive.

And also more TORQUE, which on the street and for 90% of owners, is where the fun is

Trinity, 2.4 upper, 3:73 gears, JLT, 65mm, and my car feels like a 1st rate slug....slow af
Dang. I have the same mods with off road exhaust and suspension mods and think it rips pretty good.

I must be a snail I suppose.!

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member

Trinity, 2.4 upper, 3:73 gears, JLT, 65mm, and my car feels like a 1st rate slug....slow af
Man, a SLUG?! That’s an analogy I didn’t expect—must be one helluva slug :)

To the question on a stock motor, your limit is basically 750-800rwhp and the most important part—respect octane and RPM.
Run the best octane you can (ideal is E85, followed by unleaded race fuel, then fuel additives like Boostane in pump premium).
On the RPM, with bigger power I’d reduce redline from 7000 to 6500rpm, with starting your shift or shift light just after 6000rpm (there’s always mechanical shift flare of 300-600rpm).

Still, it is completely worth it. I just cruised my 1100hp 2014 and it’s amazing how docile it drives then with a press of the loud pedal it’s a beast trying to kill you!
My kinda fun, talk about some stress relief and excitement in this quarantine!
You’ll need a good drag radial (315/35/20 or even drop down to 18” for a 315/40/18), but that 750-800rwhp is the practical limit to have a max effort street effort.
Don’t feel you have to do it all at once, but pick a goal and choose parts that allow you to keep building to that goal, not having to buy the same parts twice.
Trust me, I’ve put 4 blowers and 4 rear gears in this car in 6900 miles.
But I can currently drive to the track with the AC on then run 9.50s at almost 160mph then drive home.
Well, best is 9.55@154 in True Street but I’m hoping to up the mph with the new 3R blower!
-J

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Man, a SLUG?! That’s an analogy I didn’t expect—must be one helluva slug :)

To the question on a stock motor, your limit is basically 750-800rwhp and the most important part—respect octane and RPM.
Run the best octane you can (ideal is E85, followed by unleaded race fuel, then fuel additives like Boostane in pump premium).
On the RPM, with bigger power I’d reduce redline from 7000 to 6500rpm, with starting your shift or shift light just after 6000rpm (there’s always mechanical shift flare of 300-600rpm).

Still, it is completely worth it. I just cruised my 1100hp 2014 and it’s amazing how docile it drives then with a press of the loud pedal it’s a beast trying to kill you!
My kinda fun, talk about some stress relief and excitement in this quarantine!
You’ll need a good drag radial (315/35/20 or even drop down to 18” for a 315/40/18), but that 750-800rwhp is the practical limit to have a max effort street effort.
Don’t feel you have to do it all at once, but pick a goal and choose parts that allow you to keep building to that goal, not having to buy the same parts twice.
Trust me, I’ve put 4 blowers and 4 rear gears in this car in 6900 miles.
But I can currently drive to the track with the AC on then run 9.50s at almost 160mph then drive home.
Well, best is 9.55@154 in True Street but I’m hoping to up the mph with the new 3R blower!
-J
Spot on J, the one other nice thing is you can make close to 800whp without spinning the piss out of a Gen3 like the 2.3 TVS.

darksykal

Established Member

Trinity, 2.4 upper, 3:73 gears, JLT, 65mm, and my car feels like a slug....slow af
can't you get that power or close to it with the trinity though on the '13/'14?

I got 660 on a mustang dyno without headers (just intake/TB/pulley/tune)- it seems like even if i add headers- or went to a VMP id be at the upper limits of the motor regardless on 93 octane at least-
no?

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member

I got 660 on a mustang dyno without headers (just intake/TB/pulley/tune)- it seems like even if i add headers- or went to a VMP id be at the upper limits of the motor regardless on 93 octane at least-
no?
Ported trinity, 2.4 upper, 10% lower, mono blade T/B, big intake, E85, full exhaust should get you close to 800whp. But if you can make the same power more efficiently with less boost why not.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member

no?

What did your torque come in at and 3:31 gears on your setup?

I'm learning to a degree as well. Just for me, hp is one thing, tq is another.

Ported Trinity, 2.4 upper, 10% lower, mono blade T/B, big intake, E85, full exhaust should get you close to 800whp. But if you can make the same power more efficiently with less boost why not.

So, the stuff I BOLDED are cost considerations that can be put towards a more efficient blower.

Send blower off to get ported and shipping costs around $1600

10% lower $600.00 and the issues that may or may not come with that sitting on the crank

E85- I don't have unlimited access. Now cost for fuel system and all that install

Direct blower swap, and resell the stock Trinity for around $1500-$1700, just makes money sense for my needs

Gen3 - $2799.00
Gen3R - $4299.00

Note: with either you still need to add in BAP and Injectors

Some cool videos that depict good stuff. And maybe slightly over flated. Still a good watch though and you get a general idea of things to come

Gen3

Gen3R

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member

So, the stuff I BOLDED are cost considerations that can be put towards a more efficient blower.

10% lower $600.00 and the issues that may or may not come with that sitting on the crank

E85- I don't have unlimited access. Now cost for fuel system and all that install

Direct blower swap, and resell the stock Trinity for around $1500-$1700, just makes money sense for my needs

Gen3 - $2799.00
Gen3R - $4299.00

Some cool videos that depict good stuff. And maybe slightly over flated. Still a good watch though and you get a general idea of things to come

Gen3

Gen3R

Yup, it's just easier and more cost effective to make power with the Gen3.

fearthesnake

Established Member

Gen3 - $2799.00
Gen3R - $4299.00

Gen3

Gen3R

The Gen3 seems like an awesome deal to me at 2,800 bucks.

darksykal

Established Member

Gen3 - $2799.00
Gen3R - $4299.00

Gen3

Gen3R

619, but i guess im scared of torque bending rods anyway with these motors lol

Users who are viewing this thread