VMP Cobra Intercooler Core Tech Bulletin

01yellercobra

Established Member
I sent an email Saturday, they got back to me today. The parts should be shipping out tomorrow. Thanks for the quick turnaround VMP
Same here. I sent a couple pics I had from when the intercooler was out and they said I could benefit from the rails.

IllCobra

Established Member
Instances such as these are not uncommon in the automotive industry; however, what truly sets a company apart is its willingness to take responsibility and rectify the situation at its own expense, without resorting to legal action. VMP's actions exemplify the true meaning of "standing behind your product." We all make mistakes at times, but the choice to acknowledge and correct those mistakes instead of concealing them and risking more harm is what truly defines a person, or in this case, a company.

I recall hearing Bryan Luna from MRL mentioning in one of his videos about his decision to discontinue using a particular shop due to repeated engine failures. Based on what I remember, it appears that the shop in question was utilizing a piston manufactured by a reputable brand. However, it seems that either a defective part, I think it was the piston pin, or an erroneous adjustment of the ring gap was responsible for the issues. In either scenario, the unfortunate person burdened with the financial consequences was the owner of the motor, rather than the shop or the piston supplier.

Hell, I find myself among the minority of individuals who fell victim to the valve seat drop, something that affected only a small fraction of 03 Cobras. However, I hold no grievances towards the early 2000's Ford company as a whole, since they promptly addressed the issue by providing a solution. Though I must admit, a hint of resentment does linger towards the two or three previous owners of my car who neglected to have the necessary recall performed lol

I commend VMP for their proactive approach in addressing and resolving this issue. It's good to see that they are not only acknowledging the problem but also going the extra mile by extending an offer to owners to bring in their vehicles, with the assurance that both the cost of the part and the labor will be covered.

01yellercobra

Established Member
My rails showed up today. I'll probably take care of them in July when I have a few weekend.

Last edited:

Liquidsnake

Lok'tar Ogar
Established Member
I think providing the rails for free or offering to do the install for free, and repairing damaged cores is plenty good enough.

They can’t predict every possible configuration they will be used in considering how small the market is. Especially if it’s a single digit percent that has had the issue (as far as I’ve read).

cj428mach

Established Member
Just be glad you didn't get in the J2FAB cores. People waiting forever to get one, then they install it and the core performs terribly so you remove it and send it back. Then wait some more and finally get another core that performs just as bad as the first.

I have had 2 VMP blowers on my car and like them and like their products for the most part and try to support them. I feel like reaching out to customers with a possible fix before a failure, supplying the parts for free is more than most companies will do. Offering the labor for free is a real good deal.

Go read up on the guys that have flat tappet cams fail in their brand new motor. They're lucky to get the cam manufacturer to give a replacement failed cam. They don't offer anything for the labor or damage caused by tons of metal going through the motor.

Users who are viewing this thread