VMP and upgrades

Silver Talon

Pronounced: Mahcargo Braaaap
Established Member
I think its time to throw some more HP at the Shelby. I like the VMP guys and their tuning capabilities from what I'm reading on here.

I'm thinking if I can make the $$$ make sense, this is what i'd like to do. But I'll take some advice!

Love the Stainless works long tubes, with high flow catted x-pipe. But I heard there is some longevity questions with their cats. That brings in the cooks setup, which has a better converter? Both I think sound great, but I'm leaning to what seems to be less harsh with the SW setup, as the borla ataks that are on the car are may make it pretty racy. So best options?

Something for TB, matching CAI, pulley, and tune to match.

I run shell 93, and there is a good amount of that in my area. I keep a bottle of octane boost in the car incase I run into an area that only has 91. But should I just tune an aggressive 91 tune, and run 93 for a small buffer, or just tune it for 93?

Silver Talon

Established Member
And isn't there a VMP rep on here too?

I see that Lethal performance has some good package options too. One of those guys I've seen posting here too, but I don't remember his name.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I would go ARH for long tubes, they seem to be the best quality IMO. For the T/B the FRPP twin 65mm is awesome and doing a 2.39 upper pulley with a JLT 123mm intake and tuned on 93 you'll make close to if not over 700whp.

Silver Talon

Established Member
I would go ARH for long tubes, they seem to be the best quality IMO. For the T/B the FRPP twin 65mm is awesome and doing a 2.39 upper pulley with a JLT 123mm intake and tuned on 93 you'll make close to if not over 700whp.
Car runs pretty well with just the cat back. Put 615hp and 613tq to the wheels this fall. But I want a little more because I've got a few friends with hellcats and some kenne belle gt500s to keep up with. What cat options with the arh headers?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Add a 10/15% lower if wanting to party and can run E85 or octane booster with every tank of 93.
-J

Silver Talon

Established Member
Add a 10/15% lower if wanting to party and can run E85 or octane booster with every tank of 93.
-J
I'd love to, but not practical for how many miles I plan to put on the car. Not sure if there is an e85 pump within 100 miles of me. The non ethanol fuel is really popular now.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Car runs pretty well with just the cat back. Put 615hp and 613tq to the wheels this fall. But I want a little more because I've got a few friends with hellcats and some kenne belle gt500s to keep up with. What cat options with the arh headers?

The ARH headers can be ordered with high flow cats.

Jam421

Jam421
Established Member
I have AMR's and they did blow the Hi-Flo Cats. But that was after 25+ Chassis dyno pulls over the years which I was told over heats the Cats more than anything especially when there's a series of back to back pulls. AMR swapped out the Cats for about $700...Ouch! But now that I'm done making performance upgrades ( Heh-Heh...) I fell the new Cats will last a long time .
When AMR did the swap they welded clamps to make removal or future swaps very easy.
AMR also suggested if I race a lot at the track their straight pipe can be clamped in for a day....or a summer season ....with only state emissions requiring the Cats go back in a month or so prior to emissions inspection.
Every car is different. I never dynoed mine stock but it never seemed to make the big VMP advertised #'s after mods. With the old VMP Stage 4 package it made 650rwhp with VMP 67, JLT 123, 2.4 upper pulley thru 373's. AMR Headers + O-sized plenum brought it up to 680rw thru 373's. Using Power By Hour with Lund tuned KB168 mono-blade + JLT 148 + XBA O-Sized plenum brought it up to 716rwhp but thru 4.10's.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
I think its time to throw some more HP at the Shelby. I like the VMP guys and their tuning capabilities from what I'm reading on here.

I'm thinking if I can make the $$$ make sense, this is what i'd like to do. But I'll take some advice!

Love the Stainless works long tubes, with high flow catted x-pipe. But I heard there is some longevity questions with their cats. That brings in the cooks setup, which has a better converter? Both I think sound great, but I'm leaning to what seems to be less harsh with the SW setup, as the borla ataks that are on the car are may make it pretty racy. So best options?

Something for TB, matching CAI, pulley, and tune to match.

I run shell 93, and there is a good amount of that in my area. I keep a bottle of octane boost in the car incase I run into an area that only has 91. But should I just tune an aggressive 91 tune, and run 93 for a small buffer, or just tune it for 93?
FWIW I pieced together (what amounts to) a VMP STAGE 4 Power Pack (JLT 127mm CF CAI, CFM Twin Jet 67mm TB, VMP 2.4" Upper, 90mm Idler, BPS Oversized & Ported Plenum/Elbow, and NGK TR7-IX plugs), along with a VMP Triple Pass-Dual Fan Heat Exchanger and Reische 170' Thermostat. I stuck with stock exhaust because I wanted only "simple" bolt-ons and wasn't crazy about the number of codes reported with (many) aftermarket setups.

Custom dyno tune by Elite Performance And Tuning in Littleton, CO produced (SAE-corrected) 733 RWHP & 713 RWTQ on (91 octane) pump gas.

Last edited:

Silver Talon

Established Member
I like the PMAS intake, whipple 68mm looks nice too, with the 2.4, 90 idler, 170 thermostat and plugs. The tiny size of the factory manifolds freaks me out, and I'm a big fan of efficiency so opening that up is high on my list. An Elbow was something I was tossing around, but it seems that bolt patterns and stuff change, so it had put me off some.

I've got to take care of a rear wheel bearing too. And since I'll be there, some gears are screaming my name....
I know @biminiLX is a fan of the 4.10 game.

I really want to pull the trigger on a set of Shelby CS-3's in the 11 wide rear, 9.5 front staggered set, then slap some toyo r888's on her and party. But I cant order too many car goodies or the misses will be testy.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Fix the rear, building it stronger with 4.10s and 11” wheels with R compound rubber. Gear tire and tune—10s car and save money for second round of mods once you get used to the car with gears and traction. Ask Jam a few posts above, he gets the 4.10 memo :)
-J

Silver Talon

Established Member
What 4.10s did you buy? Where, and did they offer the full install kit with fresh bearings and what not?

Fix the rear, building it stronger with 4.10s and 11” wheels with R compound rubber. Gear tire and tune—10s car and save money for second round of mods once you get used to the car with gears and traction. Ask Jam a few posts above, he gets the 4.10 memo :)
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I used all Ford parts, Ford Performance gears and their install kit and diff cover.
Only difference on our cars is you’ll need the specific pinion bearing for ‘13-14 GT500s. There are several threads here regarding this, or a vendor like Revan Racing can put the package together.
Other than using the low profile G2 diff cover and having the specific bearing, it’s like any other 8.8 gear install.
Do you have the Track Pack cooler?
I don’t so, there may be more difference, but at minimum will be a different cover or reuse stock.
I can’t say enough about the gear and tire as two best upgrades to our cars.
-J

Silver Talon

Established Member
I used all Ford parts, Ford Performance gears and their install kit and diff cover.
Only difference on our cars is you’ll need the specific pinion bearing for ‘13-14 GT500s. There are several threads here regarding this, or a vendor like Revan Racing can put the package together.
Other than using the low profile G2 diff cover and having the specific bearing, it’s like any other 8.8 gear install.
Do you have the Track Pack cooler?
I don’t so, there may be more difference, but at minimum will be a different cover or reuse stock.
I can’t say enough about the gear and tire as two best upgrades to our cars.
-J
I have the track pack cover with the cooler lines. I play on ordering the fays watts link from shelby Monday, and they show that it can be used with that cover still. Will the 4.10 require changing that cover? If so that's a no go. Cant imagine that it would though.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
No, but it’s a good upgrade while you’re there.
You can install gears and keep the stock cover.
I’ve heard great things about the Watts link. Might save you some labor to do together.
-J

Silver Talon

Established Member
No, but it’s a good upgrade while you’re there.
You can install gears and keep the stock cover.
I’ve heard great things about the Watts link. Might save you some labor to do together.
-J
Yeah, I'll be doing both at the same time. Also grabbed adjustable uppers, lowers, brackets and eibach pro springs to go in at the same time. I'll do all the install besides the gears themselves. I've got a ford master tech/race buddy that is willing to come help me make sure the gear install goes correctly.

Turbo98GT

Mod Motor Mustangs
Established Member

Definitively no to ARH. I just ditched my 1 7/8 ARH headers and they were much harder to install than the 2" LTH
received_390821031730389.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread