Visiting Atlanta Tips

BittenInBama

Established Member
Hey guys need some pointers. Wife & I are going to Atlanta the end of this month to see the Yankees & Braves. Will be there all week, so what else should we do/see?

I heard the Vortex is one of those hometown places you have to go to. What else would you recommend? Food, history??? Mostly daytimes sight seeing as the games are all night games so evenings are planned. Not interested in 6 Flags type amusements parks.

Thanks!

BigSweezey

<insert witty title here>
Established Member
Hey guys need some pointers. Wife & I are going to Atlanta the end of this month to see the Yankees & Braves. Will be there all week, so what else should we do/see?

I heard the Vortex is one of those hometown places you have to go to. What else would you recommend? Food, history??? Mostly daytimes sight seeing as the games are all night games so evenings are planned. Not interested in 6 Flags type amusements parks.

Thanks!

Just running through the normal list....
World of coca cola(just redone it, so I dunno if it's still worth seeing)
Atlanta aquarium
Underground atlanta(shopping, plus last time I went they had this guy on the sax that was great)
Varsity(drive in restaurant)
Stone mountain(right outside atlanta...google it, worth seeing)
sun dial restaurant(it's a "nice place" and the view is great, and it's pricey)

Of course the more tourist type crap like visit the CNN center(which I never been to) and the civil war museum cyclorama thing(which my dad use to take me too)

BittenInBama

Established Member
Been to Stone Mtn once, figure thats prob enough.
We had talked about the Coke tour
CNN, no thanks
Wife will prob like the Underground
Varsity...what is it? Off to Google....
Sun Dial...worth the $$$?? View of the city?

LaFlavor

Established Member
The one time I went to Sun Dial it was ~$50 a plate. But it's one of those really high rotating restaurants, so you get a pretty cool panoramic view of the city. Up to you if that's worth it.

Foodwise? Best asian food is either Little Szechuan or Canton House, both on Buford Highway. Steak? My favorite was Stony River in Alpharetta, haven't been there in years, but it was probably one of the best steaks I've ever had. Burgers...You're pretty much dead on with the Vortex.

Sight-seeing? I have no idea...I lived there. You don't go sight-seeing in a place you live. That being said, there's the Olympic Park downtown, I guess. I haven't been there since the olympics, though, so I'm not sure how much there is to see anymore. Someone mentioned the aquarium. You can also look into what's going on at the World Congress Center. Sometimes they have interesting events.

In my opinion, Pink Pony is the best strip club in town. I know, Cheetah Club is the famous one now that Gold Club was shut down, but I think it's too haughty. Much better atmosphere at the Pony.

Best advice, and you might already know this, don't bother getting in the car between 6:30-9:00 AM and 3:00-6:00 PM. Just don't bother. Stay where you are, enjoy yourself, have another drink. The farther from those times you can drive, the happier you'll be.

chrisheltra

Established Member
Just running through the normal list....
World of coca cola(just redone it, so I dunno if it's still worth seeing)
Atlanta aquarium
Underground atlanta(shopping, plus last time I went they had this guy on the sax that was great)
Varsity(drive in restaurant)
Stone mountain(right outside atlanta...google it, worth seeing)
sun dial restaurant(it's a "nice place" and the view is great, and it's pricey)

Of course the more tourist type crap like visit the CNN center(which I never been to) and the civil war museum cyclorama thing(which my dad use to take me too)

The exact same things I was going to mention.

If you dont have a place to stay yet I would recommend the Embassy Suites in Downtown Atlanta. Its a very nice hotel with a Ruths Chris in the lobby and its right in the middle of everything.

Last edited:

BigSweezey

<insert witty title here>
Established Member
If you get a chance to go at night the laser show at stone mountain is pretty cool(if they even have it anymore), bring a big ass blanket or some chairs, otherwise if you been there once it's probably not worth going back.
Coke tour is cool, and you can spend a couple hours to less than an hour depending on if you go through and read and watch all the stuff they have.
Varsity, like sonic the hamburger joint, but much much much better.
Sun dial...I went once and between me and my date it was easily over $100, but that was dinner and drinks and desert. I dunno how much lunch is. The view of the city can't be beat...the whole thing rotates once an hour.

I'm trying to think what I did when I stayed there...and I'm starting to think all I did was go to the clubs, and party.

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
Im going to the Yanks game as well. My bdays on the 23rd so it should be fun!

Ride the MARTA...you'll love it.

BittenInBama

Established Member
Tip 1: don't visit:shrug:

:beer: I get that a lot from buddies here! hahaha

But...closest the Yankees are playing to me, so....

Thanks for the other tips. We are actually staying with some family so that'll free up some cash for wife to spend at antique shops :nonono: Oh well.

Does Panoz have tours?

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
Definitely hit the Aquarium and the Coca-Cola museum. They are right next door to each other and both are worth a visit.

U.M.

firebird1999us

Established Member
:beer: I get that a lot from buddies here! hahaha

But...closest the Yankees are playing to me, so....

Thanks for the other tips. We are actually staying with some family so that'll free up some cash for wife to spend at antique shops :nonono: Oh well.

Does Panoz have tours?

There are some pretty cool state parks like Amicalola and the falls near Helen. Stone Mountain is pretty cool for spending the day and has a neat little car museam nestled away there too;-)

Also the Georgia Aquarium. If you like Mexican food I highly recomend a place called Zocalo in Atlanta. Steer clear of The Varsity unless you plan on spending a lot of time on teh crapper:shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread