Virginia Revises Reciprocity Laws for CCP Holders

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Virginia Concealed Handgun Permit Reciprocity and Recognition: As of July 1, 2016, the Commonwealth of Virginia will recognize all valid concealed handgun or concealed weapon permits and licenses issued by another state (to include the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, and the US Virgin Islands) provided the following requirements are met:

1. The holder of such permit or license is at least 21 years of age; and

2. The permit or license holder carries a photo identification issued by a government agency of any state or by the U.S. Department of Defense or U.S. Department of State; and

3. The holder displays the permit or license and such identification upon demand by a law-enforcement officer; and

4. The permit or license holder has not previously had a Virginia concealed handgun permit revoked.

Although the new law requires Virginia to grant recognition to all states that issue permits, other states are not required to recognize or authorize Virginia permit holders to possess a firearm in their state. For more information on which states recognize Virginia resident and non-resident concealed handgun permits, please go to the Virginia State Police Website at www.vsp.virginia.gov.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
I know each state has different requirements but it's a pain in the ass when traveling to see which states will and will not recognize your ccw. One of the reasons I got my CO, UT, and AZ permits to expand states. Goof for Virginia.

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member
Stolen from reddit: For VA residents wondering about the changes.

As of now we are NOT recognized in 17 states.

10 of the 17 do not accept any permit: CA, CT, DC, HI, IL, MA, MD, NJ, OR, and RI.

4 of the 17 should1 accept a VA resident permit from July 1st onwards: CO, GA, ME, and NH.

1 of the 17 should1 accept a VA resident permit soon after July 1st: DE revoked it on March 1st as a reaction to the original VA permit reciprocity review by our Gov. Now that it has been reversed, so should their revocation.

2 of the 17 do and will not accept a VA permit as they require other legislative action: MN, and WA. They both accept ND, KS, OK, LA, MI, OH, and TN. Of those states only OH and TN issues to non residents as far as I know.

I will update this if you let me know of any inaccuracies.

Blackoyote

Established Member
Question for you VA LEOs - I'm heading up to VIR tomorrow and am a NC resident, and don't yet have my concealed carry license. In NC I can carry in my vehicle as long as it is visible - can I also do the same in VA?

silver03svt

Established Member
Question for you VA LEOs - I'm heading up to VIR tomorrow and am a NC resident, and don't yet have my concealed carry license. In NC I can carry in my vehicle as long as it is visible - can I also do the same in VA?

Yes. VA is an OPEN carry state.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
Oh yes. Lets give VA applause for recognizing the Constitution after trashing it. Sorry. This crap should never have happened in the first place. My permit affords me rights in so many states with the exception of the liberal scum haven dumps.

silver03svt

Established Member
Oh yes. Lets give VA applause for recognizing the Constitution after trashing it. Sorry. This crap should never have happened in the first place. My permit affords me rights in so many states with the exception of the liberal scum haven dumps.

Where in any of the above posts do you see anybody giving VA applause?

2nd Amendment gives you the right to bear arms, and VA was AND STILL IS an OPEN carry state. I simply posted information on how VA will now be recognizing out of state CONCEALED CARRY PERMITS.

oldmodman

Established Member
If I was one of the fortunate few here in California that lived in a gun friendly county and had my CCP would it be recognized by other states?

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
VA. needs to work on their stupid radar detector law as well. I always forget to turn mine off when crossing the MD. VA. border.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
Where in any of the above posts do you see anybody giving VA applause?

2nd Amendment gives you the right to bear arms, and VA was AND STILL IS an OPEN carry state. I simply posted information on how VA will now be recognizing out of state CONCEALED CARRY PERMITS.

Considering there isn't an apparent disgust on behalf of some here, I can not form any other opinion of this topic than being favorable. Do you think VA should have always recognized and never stopped with reciprocity? Recognizing the Constitution should not be dependent on location.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Considering there isn't an apparent disgust on behalf of some here, I can not form any other opinion of this topic than being favorable. Do you think VA should have always recognized and never stopped with reciprocity? Recognizing the Constitution should not be dependent on location.

There was a thread with a lot of angry people when they first announced the removal of reciprocity. The deal made to get it back wasn't a bad one, but I agree it's complete bullshit that it was done in the first place.

Untreated question for OP - in the event of a traffic stop, is the LEO notified that you're a CCW permit holder when they run your tags?

silver03svt

Established Member
There was a thread with a lot of angry people when they first announced the removal of reciprocity. The deal made to get it back wasn't a bad one, but I agree it's complete bullshit that it was done in the first place.

Untreated question for OP - in the event of a traffic stop, is the LEO notified that you're a CCW permit holder when they run your tags?

First paragraph...yes, there was a big outcry when VA originally backtracked on reciprocity.....including yours truly. I AM VERY PRO-SECOND AMENDMENT. VA screwed up big-time when it did that, BUT, typical lib-tard mentalities in office.

Second paragraph...if you are a VA resident and have a CCW, then yes, my responses back will notify me of the CCW. If you are out of state, it depends on how your home state enters it, so some will, some won't.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Got it. In general does that make a LEO more cautious, relaxed, or indifferent?

silver03svt

Established Member
Got it. In general does that make a LEO more cautious, relaxed, or indifferent?

Honestly, it depends on the LEO himself. Personally, and this is only my opinion, somebody with a CCP has demonstrated that they want to be able to defend themselves and has taken steps to ensure that they are carrying legally.....and I am all for that.

Users who are viewing this thread