Virginia LEO's/ Tint on record

03svtsnake

Established Member
LEO's,

I recently received a ticket for “illegal tint”. I would really hate to replace my tint as it is only 5% below the legal limit.

If I just pay the ticket, will it stay on my driving record? I know this is not a moving violation but I want to know if I were to get pulled again, will it show up on my record as "having illegal tint" ticket even after I pay.

Thanks in advance....

MysssticGhost

Go Sooners!
Established Member
it will stay on your record. i got an illegal tint about three years ago on my old eclipse. then a couple months ago i got one in a camaro that was given to me and i never thought about the tint being on there. anyway when they pulled me over he told me that i had been pulled over for tint before so that is why i say it stays on there for a little bit. hopefully that helps

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I don't know what the current laws are but I was stopped right before I left VA and moved to texas. The cop asked me if he could check my tint and I said sure .. he put his meter on and said my tint was like 3% over the legal limit. I asked him if I should take it off and he said no he wasn't going to even give me a ticket for it. He did say that a different cop might write the ticket tho.

My suggestion to you is to take the tint off if your in NOVA. I don't know about the rest of the state but in NOVA they generally don't play up there

SnakeEyes03

MTC
Established Member
Yes it will. Even if you went to court and they through the ticket out...it still says that you had a tint ticket at one point, but that it was either guilty or innocent.

03svtsnake

Established Member
That sucks.....

RDJ, I am in NOVA and have never had a problem until now since I put the tint on 5 1/2 years ago. I have pulled up next to county cops and state troopers with no issues. Some cops are just more relaxed then others.

Might as well pay it and go about my business. Any idea on how long it stays on your record SnakeEyes?

Last edited:

Cop I Am

Run whatcha brung
Established Member
Under Va code 46.2-1053 it says: Such measurements made by law-enforcement officers shall be given a tolerance of minus seven percentage points.

Means we'll allow 7% either way.

If your with in 5% contest it.

Users who are viewing this thread