Viper Alarm Light?

divided

Established Member
So I bought the car with a viper alarm (not sure what model) and it has a blue led built into the center console piece by the shifter bezel. Whats odd is I just noticed when I alarm the car the blue led flashes. It's bright as hell and you can see if from the outside pretty easy. I never noticed it flashing so bright. As a matter of fact I never noticed it flashing at all. Is this normal or am I crazy?

piss&vinegar

Seek and Destroy
Established Member
You may be crazy but I would check the wiring just in case. You may have a short. I have one as well and if the LED is blinking there is no way you would not notice it.

divided

Established Member
So its normal for it to blink when its armed? I feel really stupid for never noticing but I just didn't and I've had the car for over 2 years :dw:

It correctly turns off when I disarm it and works as expected. Just weird I guess.

XyX

Still in the game.
Established Member
really?...what do you figure the light is for?

divided

Established Member
really?...what do you figure the light is for?

Of course I know what its for. I just thought it was broke because I never noticed it before.

*edit*

Now that I'm thinking about it I did pop the shifter cover off the other week to adjust the shifter. Maybe the led wire wasn't making a connection before I took the cover off. Had to of been.

Last edited:

trayack

Established Member
My automatic starter (viper) is the two way unit, meaning the remote talks to car and the car talks to the remote. When you get within a certian distance when the car is locked the LED flashes. I assume its the car talking to the remote. It is bright as hell.

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
Yep - Have the same one. I can see it blink from inside my house. May sound odd but when I look at the car at night, not directly at the light, I can not see it glow. When I look to the left or right of the car it's as if the whole interior is glowing when it blinks.

divided

Established Member
Yep - Have the same one. I can see it blink from inside my house. May sound odd but when I look at the car at night, not directly at the light, I can not see it glow. When I look to the left or right of the car it's as if the whole interior is glowing when it blinks.

Thats exactly what I noticed. Good to know its normal. I was thinking it was some kind of diagnostic message.

piss&vinegar

Seek and Destroy
Established Member
Just remember normal operation, when armed, should blink at a 1Hz rate. If blinking at another rate something may be wrong.

divided

Established Member
Just remember normal operation, when armed, should blink at a 1Hz rate. If blinking at another rate something may be wrong.

I have no idea how to tell if its 1Hz or not. But comparing it to a neighbors car it blinks at the same rate. Seems normal to me.

Users who are viewing this thread