Viper ACR runs 7:01 at the Nurgurbring

Leonie

Established Member
Wow,

I do not see why some people are amazed about that time?

To begin with, the Viper is a car with a relatively long wheelbase, wide track, low center of gravity, and good weight distribution. And then it also has over 8 Liters of displacement.

Give a car (any car of any manufacturer) these basics, and add super sticky (for one lap) tires and massive (ugly) aero, and suspension settings probably blowing your Kumhos away over 150 mph on the Autoban on your way to the ring, and it will perform on the same level. No magic applied here...

The magic (engineering) starts here: engineer a car, which does a fast lap on the ring, BUT also is fast on the second, the third, and maybe even the seventh or eight lap (with one tank of fuel), AND also can be looked at without laughing or looking away in shame at the boyracer aero, AND also works well enough as a car, for beeing succesful in sales, so the company makes enough profit on it to not cancel it.

Additional info: some of the mentioned points may also apply to the C7 Z06 and the coming C7 ZR1...

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Wow,

Wut? It ran a 7:01. It's a $150k car, on a $200k budget.

To begin with, the Viper is a car with a relatively long wheelbase, wide track, low center of gravity, and good weight distribution. And then it also has over 8 Liters of displacement.

Go on....

Give a car (any car of any manufacturer) these basics, and add super sticky (for one lap) tires and massive (ugly) aero, and suspension settings probably blowing your Kumhos away over 150 mph on the Autoban on your way to the ring, and it will perform on the same level. No magic applied here...

What is wrong with you? Seriously starting to question your reasoning skills.

All cars can be fast if they're set up right..proper drivetrain, powertrain, aero, tires, etc...DUH. Of course if you build a Viper ACR that isn't a Viper ACR, but it has all the same parts, then yes it will run the same lap times.

The magic (engineering) starts here: engineer a car, which does a fast lap on the ring, BUT also is fast on the second, the third, and maybe even the seventh or eight lap (with one tank of fuel), AND also can be looked at without laughing or looking away in shame at the boyracer aero, AND also works well enough as a car, for beeing succesful in sales, so the company makes enough profit on it to not cancel it.

The Viper ACR would be fast on the second and third lap, with proper tires. There isn't a tire on the planet that is street legal that will last 3 HARD laps at the Ring. Have you ever watched how rough that track is? Couple that with the unheard of downforce the ACR exerts on the tires and it shrinks their lifespan even more.

As far as laughing at it, I have never had anyone laugh at the aero on my ACR. The Viper isn't for everyone, but it's a track monster and the aero is fully functional.

scn

Established Member
Wow,

Additional info: some of the mentioned points may also apply to the C7 Z06 and the coming C7 ZR1...
You are vastly oversimplifying the engineering needed to make a car go fast. The ACR is very impressive in terms of cost and engineering. If 7min is so easy, why is it so rare?
As for magical engineering to make a car go fast 5+ laps, production (road legal) car companies hardly ever go down that route. It's a financial loser. Ask Treynor what he uses for serious track sessions. It's usually a track oriented car. There's a reason behind that.

Leonie

Established Member
Wow, did I hurt some feelings?

Sorry, that was not my intention!
I just wanted to keep some objective view on this topic.

Just for explanation, a) I work closely with the development department (of one business unit) of the worlds second largest automotive supplier, and b) have driven several laps on the ring myself with my private cars, which c) do not belong to one make, because I am not a fanboi, but a car guy, who appreciates great cars for what they are, not depending by whom they were made.

So of course, I could try to start to quote and answer all these comments individually, but from the quality of most of them, I assume that would be lost energy. ;-)

Best regards, Bernd

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Don't forget your gold chains, button up shortsleeve, jean shorts, tube socks and sandals on your way to church this morning.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member

Just for explanation, a) I work closely with the development department (of one business unit) of the worlds second largest automotive supplier, and b) have driven several laps on the ring myself with my private cars, which c) do not belong to one make, because I am not a fanboi, but a car guy, who appreciates great cars for what they are, not depending by whom they were made.

So of course, I could try to start to quote and answer all these comments individually, but from the quality of most of them, I assume that would be lost energy. ;-)

Best regards, Bernd

Work for an auto supplier in Europe and still don't think that's a good time? Wow
There's only one independent test that's faster at 6.55. Which was 7 seconds slower that the manufacturer time at 6.48.
If the ACR ran 6.54 would that impress you? The independent test with pro driver on the 918 was 7.13. The 997 GT2RS ran 7.24 independently. It had sticky tires weight distribution big aero all the things you speak of. The only difference is the million dollars backing and hundreds of test laps on a closed circuit

blk02edge

Established Member

Best regards, Bernd
Doubt you hurt any feelings, you came in here saying false things to get a rise out of people

Coiled03

Established Member
Just for explanation, a) I work closely with the development department (of one business unit) of the worlds second largest automotive supplier, and b) have driven several laps on the ring myself with my private cars, which

Uh huh......and? It seems you don't know the first damn thing about vehicle dynamics.

Look, I ****ing hate Vipers.....all of them. I find them hideous, and they're built by Dodge. That's all that needs to be said in my book. But the time is impressive, as much as I hate them.

Users who are viewing this thread