Violent Wheel Hop!!!

BCPD199

Established Member
Please help a new guy out! I just traded in my Mach 1 for a silver ann. convert. How do you stop this wheel hop? This car might have more power than my Mach; but you can't get it to the ground! I read about the 12mm bolt issue. Did all the '03s use this bolt in the IRS? If so, can it be replaced under warranty? And does it help? I tried to search for pics of which bolts need to be replaced; but came up empty. The MM bushings from what I've learned here are a real PITA and it seems 1/2 the people here say they didn't help. Short of putting in a live axle rear, what are you guys doing to fix this problem? Also, any pics of the bolts that need to be changed. Thanks!

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
get off the gas or break a halfshaft, that will solve it real quick.

Start with bushings, I dont think there is any single one magic recipe to remedy the wheelhop. I do the above

BCPD199

Established Member
Thanks, I'm just driving this on the street. Haven't dumped the clutch or anything abusive. Just getting on it from a 5mph roll, the wheels break loose and then hops badly. Do you have pics of which bolts are supposed to be changed to 14mm? Thanks.

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
I think its the ones if you reach in towards the top of your wheel you will feel a bolt head on the frameside. It will be the closest bolt head to the tire. No pics sorry

Do a search and you might be able to find out.

stevieb

Established Member
Originally posted by broke7
get off the gas or break a halfshaft, that will solve it real quick.
Good advice! I hopped the first couple of times, learn the feel of your car and how it responds and you can avoid hopping, otherwise you will be replacing shafts. Keep one thing in mind, the IRS was not designed for drag launchs, but for road racing.
I havent tried the bushings yet, Someday I will at least do the bushings in the drivetrain/rear suspension because of the clunk/popping. But that is going to stiffen up the ride some more.

konakimo

Established Member
I remember those days, since the installing 18"s and steeda sports I dont have any wheel hop at all, the springs seem to help the most and it rides better.

Jerryk

Halfshaft abuser
Established Member
Increase your air pressure slightly.. keep upping it until the hop turns into more of a chatter.

Xplicit

Su Corazón
Established Member
Originally posted by BCPD199
Please help a new guy out! I just traded in my Mach 1 for a silver ann. convert. How do you stop this wheel hop? This car might have more power than my Mach; but you can't get it to the ground! I read about the 12mm bolt issue. Did all the '03s use this bolt in the IRS? If so, can it be replaced under warranty? And does it help? I tried to search for pics of which bolts need to be replaced; but came up empty. The MM bushings from what I've learned here are a real PITA and it seems 1/2 the people here say they didn't help. Short of putting in a live axle rear, what are you guys doing to fix this problem? Also, any pics of the bolts that need to be changed. Thanks!

Congrats Jim..another 03 in NJ :beer: Quick fact about NJ..your 03 will not hook in winter ;-) I'm assuming you're breaking the tires loose with stock F1's? To minimize the hop, bolt on 17x10.5 rims with drag radials. Nittos r good at double duty. BFG's..ppl swear to them as being the best DR's for track. You'll still have wheel spin but not as much hop. Maybe look into some adjustable shocks too....

Last edited:

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
solid axle will fix that right up.

love mine, best mod i did to my 99 cobra.

cobra101

Established Member
yeah, hop sucks. like most suggested, the adjustable shocks really help. I have not done anything regarding the hop but others said shocks helped allot. I believe there was a thread about xr-1 shocks that someone loved and cured the hop.

I put nittos 555r on the stock rim and not much hop anymore. They simply do not break loose at fullthrottle in any gear. If you dump the clutch though it will spin. also, like someone mentioned if the pavement is cold traction is very difficult.

good luck :)

FLBuckeye

Established Member
I've only hopped when there is some moisture on the road and I wasn't being smart........got 18K miles on the rear factory F1's.....put on Goodyear F1 GS D3's on the rear....no hop yet, but it's dry now......also the coldest it's gotten is our current "Cold Front" Low in the 40's tonight !! HA !
I'm considering going to the Nitto's like in the post below:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=52001

RedfireVenom

11 Second Vert Club
Established Member
It's worst around this time of year with the cold weather. It pretty much went away on my car once the warm climate came around. Actually, the Nitto Drag radials may have had something to do with that. I am doing springs, cast camber plates and MM IRS bushings next week. I'll let you know how it goes. I know someone else around here that did the same thing and says wheel hop is pretty much gone.

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Franco's Right ;-).

Nitto's seem to work pretty good in avoiding the Wheel Hop.
BFG DR's on the other hand works wonders but they wont last you long at all.

Try not flooring it off the line. Maybe a 75% of throttle on 1st gear & once ur going.... i mean gone the rest of the gears will be great. BTW u can still get the hop in 2nd gear :nonono: But thats usually cause ur tires are damn Freaking way to COLD.

JohnsDSGVert

Established Member
Violent Wheel Hop

I have just about everything........here's the recipe....

IRS Bushings.......MM
Hard Launch Brace......Kenny Brown
Rear Diff Bushings......MM
Full Length Subs........MM
10.5" Rears......with BFG and Nittos......BFG's don't hop....but no life

H&R Coils
Lowered Air Pressure

Still got some hop.......

I plan to try QA-1 Shocks.....they are supposed to help also

The ultimate fix.......Live Axle!

stangfreak

Established Member
for real im pissed off that ford put an IRS on this car. it should have been an option. i swear once i save up some money im going for a solid axle.

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
The option would have been very nice! I havn't got into track racing, but if the wheel hop and driveline slop could have been
eliminated with a solid, I would have gone that route.

cydewaze

the bat!!!
Established Member
Reading about wheel hop problems always amuses me. The other day I drove a fun road I always used to drive in my Z. There's one washboard section in a hairpin, and if you go any faster than 20, your ass is grass - dead into a tree.

I took the road the other day in my Cobra, and it floated right over that section. I did a loop and took the turn again at around 40. Sucker was glued to the road. I would have been toast in the Z. Love the IRS.

SinisterX

Makin ALL KINDS of gains
Established Member
check your tire pressure too, mine will hop if I get below 26 psi on the road.
At the track, 24/25 psi works good.
for me

Users who are viewing this thread