Vinyl Stripes - Cost to Replace?

PrestonJ

Established Member
Before someone roasts me for not searching the forum for this the search function appears to be broken for me.

I just got my first quote to redo my vinyl stripes on my 07 GT500 and they want $2100 for the job including removal of the existing stripes. Is this a reasonable price? The quote is itemized with them charging me $900 for removing the existing stripes. Is it really that hard to remove them? Should I attempt removing them myself?

4rd Toys

Polishing my SVTs....
Established Member
Are you talking about aftermarket or OEM stripes?

Or removing OEM and starting over with an aftermarket version of the OEM?

It's labor intensive to remove the original OEM stripes... I ordered the cheapest OEM SVTPP section from Tasca [Skinny Red w/ black stripe edge] to do an extension in the top of license plate opening and just for that 3-inch "sticker sheet" cost me $50.

fullboogie

Established Member
Not to mention that most sections are now obsolete and no longer available. You'll have to go aftermarket for new stripes.

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
That's crazy talk to get charged 900 for removal. 8 beers and a blow dryer & they'll be in the trash can. I've done this so I know.
As for replacing them, they are pricey for OEM stripes. Have you considered having them painted instead? You'll like them better & quality is a good selling point. Plus the wax/polish process is much easier going forward with painted stripes.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
For $ 900, I would remove them myself, there are videos on the net..
OEM stripes are tapered, & cost big $$$$ because of how they are made. Considering the fact that you may not be able to get OEM for an 07, painting them on may be the " smart " move.
..............Compared to OEM, aftermarket stripes are junk !!

PrestonJ

Established Member
Yeah honestly I would prefer to have them painted but assumed the price would be outrageous for that. Probably worth it though.

As far as removing the vinyl, is it really that easy? Just heat them up and remove them? I was worried about them leaving nasty residue or something.

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
You wouldn't need a hair dryer if you lived in south ga. It was 103 here yesterday and would have made them much easer to remove.

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
Yea, it would be a struggle for me to start on without knowing the outcome. Good luck with that!

SCALILOU

Established Member
I have removed and replaced them myself. Take your time and you'll be able to do it. An extra set of hands is always helpful. There are plenty of how-tos on the internet.

I would try and get the oem stripes if you can. Call and make sure the dealership has them in stock. Aftermarket stripes are the same width the entire length, it doesn't follow the lines of the car, some people can tell, some can't, I can when I look at a car with aftermarket stripes. I measured the oem stripes before I decided to replace with the same oem. They are not the same width on different parts of the car. Some sections were close to 8", other areas were closer to 11". It follows the lines of the car. But if aftermarket is your only choice, then do what you have to do. I can tell you the oem stripes were not cheap

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using the svtperformance.com mobile app

SCALILOU

Established Member
I have removed and replaced them myself. Take your time and you'll be able to do it. An extra set of hands is always helpful. There are plenty of how-tos on the internet.

I would try and get the oem stripes if you can. Call and make sure the dealership has them in stock. Aftermarket stripes are the same width the entire length, it doesn't follow the lines of the car, some people can tell, some can't, I can when I look at a car with aftermarket stripes. I measured the oem stripes before I decided to replace with the same oem. They are not the same width on different parts of the car. Some sections were close to 8", other areas were closer to 11". It follows the lines of the car. But if aftermarket is your only choice, then do what you have to do. I can tell you the oem stripes were not cheap

On a side note, when I did get a quote for aftermarket stripes on my 2014 5.0 coyote car, they quoted me $600.00. That was for install, the car didn't already have stripes

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
I just paid $750 for aftermarket stripes to be installed on my S197. I have done them myself years ago with a kit, and they looked trailer park. Having them professionally done was much nicer.

OP, if I'm in your spot, I save the $900 and pull them myself. Then pay someone to redo them right. The Ford "kits" might be nice because they are tapered to account for body line changes (particularly on the trunk and back bumper), but I *think* they also start and stop short around things like the third brake light, trunk emblem, and license plate. Perhaps its only the aftermarket kits that do that, I'm not sure.

A custom job with quality 3M wrap will not quite be perfect because the installer will have to stretch and massage as they transition through the changes in body lines -- and a human won't be able to perfectly counter every change in pitch. But, a good installer will make it close . . . and be able to bring over edges that the kit doesn't go.

Just my $.02

MelloStang2010

Established Member
That is an absolutely insane price for just strips. $900 just to remove the old ones is a joke. I paid $550 total to have my old svtpp stripes removed and new 10" black ones that were hand cut from a vinyl roll and installed both over the top stripes and the side stripes. That also included material cost... And the install was done flawlessly. I am currently having the entire car wrapped for around $2000 including material which was $600 on its own. But I am also saving money because I am disassembling the car myself because normally the guy wrapping it pays another person $20 and hour to remove bumpers, door panels, side mirrors, spoilers and stuff like that. He is also a friend so I might be getting a little bit better of a deal than normal.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
The factory stripes (at least in 2010) were painted vinyl not died vinyl or manufactured in a specific color. So when you peel the stripe up it’s going to flake the color off and it’s going to make getting the residue off a PIA. That’s probably why they want so much to get them off. Honestly that quote leads me to believe that they don’t want the job of removal and figured they’d high ball you to see if you bit.

If the car has been garaged it’s whole life, they should be a little easier to get off clean, but if it’s been out in the weather the vinyl will actually get harder to remove cleanly. Not impossible and not something you can’t do, just harder and messier.

Sky_Pilot

Established Member
Before someone roasts me for not searching the forum for this the search function appears to be broken for me.

I just got my first quote to redo my vinyl stripes on my 07 GT500 and they want $2100 for the job including removal of the existing stripes. Is this a reasonable price? The quote is itemized with them charging me $900 for removing the existing stripes. Is it really that hard to remove them? Should I attempt removing them myself?
Try Beaver Stripes in Phoenix, AZ. 602-269-8000 Byron will hook you up for about 10% of your ridiculous quote!!!!! OOPPSS I have a 'vert so no top stripes in my world. I'm talking about side rocker stripes. But the rocker stripes are available only as laser etched clear coat from Ford for many years now. Beaver does them like the early factory originals out of colored vinyl. BTW I had a Ford engineer tell me they went to clear coat etched stripes because people kept blowing the originals off in the quarter car wash!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Sky_Pilot

Established Member
I just had my rocker stripes completed by Beaver Stripes and they are FANTASTIC!!!!!!! No way anyone could tell them from the originals that are now long gone from Ford!!!!!!!!
My highest recommendation!!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread