VIN# Breakdown Doesnt Add Up

Cobra34

*5.SLOW*
Established Member
Okay now i have a serious question. I was reading into my VIN# to learn more about my car. No im not a complete idiot (sometimes) but i found this odd.

My VIN# is: IFALP42DXSF219358

Broken down that means---

1FA - Ford, USA, passenger car
L - Active safety belts all positions, first generation air bags
P42 - Two-door coupe, GT
D - 5.0L, Cobra, eight cylinder
X - No clue. It is supposed to be a number 0-9
S - 1995
F - Dearborn, Michigan (USA)
219358 - Number 119358 off the assembly line.

Ok i bought this car as is and it shows 0 accident reports. Now most cobra's have COBRA engraved on the rear bumper mine says MUSTANG. Also my grill symbol was a mustang which i replaced with the Cobra. Sp why would it be classified as a Cobra 5.0 when it has the pony on the grill, the mustang on the bumper, and the car model classified as a Two-door coupe, GT. Really confused about this. Makes me nervous and looking for a pretty accurate response. Honestly im lost in the sauce. Any valid input would be awesome.

Also i am all of a Sudden getting a invalid VIN# when i input into certain decoders.

the 9th unit in the VIN# is supposed to be a 0-9 where as i have an "X".
IFALP42D"X"SF219358

Any one got a response to that one. I am very lost now and so confused. Also why is mine coming up as a 2Door GT Hatchback under Model Make. so confusing! thanks for input.

PS. Does anyone know a website where i could track down the exact number of 1995 Cobra 5.0's that were made with tan cloth interior and Rio Red exterior paint? ( I just noticed how some say of you say Example: (#2784 of 4005) Thanks again.

stevedmurray

Hey Cobra 34 ... I will let someone else comment on the VIN, but don't sweat the bumper and horse in grill. All 94 and 95's came that way. Cobra lettered bumpers didn't get added until 96. While Cobra emblems were planned to go in the front grille, they killed at the last moment in 94 and Mustang horse emblem used instead.

Contact Ford via their customer relations dept and they can validate the VIN - make/model for you. They will send you a letter that takes a few weeks to get to you. You could also contact Ford Performance / SVT and pay for your SVT certificate.

Stavesacre21

Thinkin 4th Dimensionally
Established Member
agree with the bumber and snake. Before 96, they hade the same hood and bumper as the GT's, and no SN-95 cobra came with a snake in the grill, contrary to belief.

As for the VIN, simply call 1-800-FORD-SVT and it'll take all of 2 minutes to get your build and birthdate, and best of all in your situation, it'll put your worries and questions to rest. :beer:

uofipilot

Established Member
If I were you, I's call 1800FORDSVT. Push 2 and talk to the operator. Just by giving him the vin (actually just the last 6 digits) he can tell you all sorts of cool stuff.

As far as the 9th position, I dont think is has to be a number. I don't really know what it identifies (I was doing a bunh of VIN investigating last week to see what my Cobra production data was). As far as the P42, I dunno. That is the GT code. Did you buy it used? From your pic, it looks like its S/C. Did you do it or did the previous owner do it? Perhaps you bought a Fobra (but its still probably fast as fawk!).

According to the ford site (https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/vin_tools/default.asp) the P42D means Mustang/GT/Car/5L 8 Cylinders. Cobra is not part of that P42D as far as I can figure. Mine is P47V, meaning Mustang/Cobra/Car/4.6L 8 Cylinders (according to that ford VIN decoder).

And the reason you might be getting invalid number messages is that you have an "I" instead of a 1 as the first position.

And one more thing, I'm pretty sure the last six digits is an internal code and does not directly relate to the number off the line. My last six are 190802, which somehow means it was #6071 of 6961 built for 97.

Long story short, call SVT and they will set you straight.

Last edited:

Dekorum

Established Member
Mine is P42D also. I think that means Cobra and P42X is the GT one. (X being some other letter)

Wraith_2006

Established Member
I will have to run that against my car too.... it would be nice to know what it is numered

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
i just looked at my 9th digit and its a 1. i will look at work and ask parts tomorrow what the 9th digit is for. but as far as it being listed as a GT, dont worry. when you run a 94-95 cobra OASIS report (its a ford internet/network system that shows any open recalls on the VIN and warr. repairs, build date and data, etc.) they all show a "SHP 2 Door Mustang GT" which means it is a super high performance mustang. 96 they started showing COBRA on oasis, but if i remember correctly the unbody, floor plans were thicker or diffrent slightly (thats why they say subframce connectors wont fit those cobras like every other mustang) but like stated before, call SVT, and they will let you know real quick if its real or not. ive called them about a recall problem before, and somehow someone got the vin screwed up and they told me i didnt have a cobra...lol, i about fliped out 'till i doulbe checked it and it was in our system wrong.

CobraBob95

Established Member
In 94 & 95 Ford did not have a body code for the Cobra. They used a the GT body code for both. P42 for coupe & P45 for convertible. The eighth digit in the VIN tell you which engine is in the Mustang. "T" = 5.0 LITER V8 "D" = 5.0 LITER V8 H.O. Only Cobras came with the "D" code. I ran your VIN through Carfax to see if it's a legit VIN. It did come up as a 1995 Cobra Coupe. I read somewhere that the 9th digit was a check digit only known to Ford what it means.

Bob

frcefedlx

Established Member
I just Called that number yesterday and ordered my certificate. Flat fee of $40.00. My car is #3806 and was born on July 1st 1994. I figured I gotta have the certificate. If nothing else it is good to know what number you have.

Cobra34

*5.SLOW*
Established Member
I got it all figured out really appreciate all the info. Fouond a cert. in a pile of papers lol! Thanks again and have a goodun!

mybanner475cadabada00rf2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread