Viking funeral for a hurt motor + 200 shot pass from my old 357 hatch

ford5.0forlife

Dead Stop
Established Member
I have been fighting issues with this car all season.. finally got everything sorted out, went to the track at the last possible day for this season, and the motor was blowing oil something fierce.. We knew a rebuild was due after a compression test netted 2 cylinders down over 50psi of compression a month ago.. but we decided to let the bitch eat for a last run.. Suffice to say.. I was happy knowing as bad as the pass was.. I still coasted my way into the single digit street car category.. (the heads weren't studded, blew the head gasket clean out at the 1/8th mile) ..

I know most people wouldn't approve of purposely doing this.. but keep in mind, we knew the motor needed a complete rebuild regardless, and after suffering through an entire season of problem after problem, we just wanted results.. no matter how hindered. Enough blah blah blah.. enjoy the vids..:beer:

[youtube_browser]lYfauuRs6vM[/youtube_browser]

My old car, driven 250 miles round trip today on 93 octane, 3 passengers and over 5 bottles in the car, lol.. Differential gave out, and props to NASTY5.0 on here for staying the hell in it and almost eating a wall 2x on the baby pills... but the car definitely needs a spool. This shit drives like a mid 90's First person shooter game, lol :D

[youtube_browser]XFWhUPN2i1g[/youtube_browser]

94Gt5.0

Allgo5oh
Established Member
Good old LVD! Wanted to make it out that way but had to work. Decent turnout?

90goldtsiawd

here 4 da laffs & cruelty
Established Member
Not too safe knowing you're going to shit up the track and then going and doing it.

ford5.0forlife

Dead Stop
Established Member
Good old LVD! Wanted to make it out that way but had to work. Decent turnout?

For the last rental, I expected there to be more people. But some cool cars there. New C7 letting it eat, a blown v8 m3, for a DSM day, I think I saw 2 talons there, and a handful of evo's if that.

Yeah he pissed some people off...

We didn't go there to window the block..Or frag out on the track. If we did, I would of jetted for something other than one of the smallest shots we have. The worst that would of happened, was blowing the heads, which happened, thats why we ran straight water.. there was no need to even sweep the track after because all entire mixture evaporated from the flames coming out of the area where the head gasket used to be.

I understand the officials didn't know that, but I'm sorry I inconvenienced you or anybody else for 5 minutes of their racing career. Wasn't exactly like the lanes were packed at the end of the day after all. If you had to wait 2 minutes to race the last 3 hours of the rental, that was considered a line.

did you oil/coolant down the track? Did the car have coolant or just straight water?

Drained the coolant out.. Just water... and didn't really get all over the track. It didn't window the block or do anything other than push the driver head gasket out like we knew it was going to. The heads were the limiting point.. they had cheap felpro gaskets and bolts not studs..

Not too safe knowing you're going to shit up the track and then going and doing it.

The motor is stout enough it was going to hold together in one piece, it was just a matter of if the heads would hold. They didn't.. and being that we put straight water in the car, and the car wasn't even puking it out when i pulled over.. it wasn't that big of a deal.

I regret posting this, lol..

Last edited:

NASTY5.0

DRIVER MOD INSIDE
Established Member
Dan, theres no need to explain yourself. We knew exactly what we were doing and you got your personal best so far. Theres nothing worse than all the money and effort put into this thing and just not try. All things considered we left happy and look forward to next year. That is all....

Quick96Mystic

Mystiiiiic wowww
Established Member
Brilliant move running a car with a known hurt engine.

Some people.

lol way to be bitter about something that doesn't affect your life... AT ALL.

OP, that isn't ideal in most cases but it was still badass to give your motor one last hurrah! I assume the build on the motor isn't some crazy high end expensive setup? If so, I would've done the same :rockon:

ford5.0forlife

Dead Stop
Established Member
lol way to be bitter about something that doesn't affect your life... AT ALL.

OP, that isn't ideal in most cases but it was still badass to give your motor one last hurrah! I assume the build on the motor isn't some crazy high end expensive setup? If so, I would've done the same :rockon:

Lol.. I wasn't going to feed the troll, but Thanks man.. I appreciate it.

Total price including cost of car is still under 12.5K$ Motor is a 1972 block 351, 408cid, forged, good H/C/I that came with the car, and we just added a fogger flowed by monte smith, and worked out a trade that included taking all the fuel system/n20 system/suspension/rear from my old fox and swapping it on the wagon.. Literally both cars on this thread were pieced together, lol.

My goal this season was to crack a bottom 9 on the shot we had on the car before the rebuild (we already had some issues that required a teardown to fix but didn't effect performance).. .. Next year we are trying to make the car more streetable, and quicker.. Swapping in a 4r70w for overdrive, converter is now tight as can be, custom n20 cam, shaving 200lbs off of it, finishing cage to 10pt, chute, progressive controller, and 325-400 hit.. I want to be able to drive 100 miles to the track, run 8's, and drive home for under 20k$ invested. Typical budget build, and proof you can make any piece of shit go fast, I guess, but I have seated 5 people in the car comfortably and driven to car shows with a trunk full of shit. If it didn't break I would be using the damn car today to move into my new house.. More usable than my GTI, lol.:beer:

mr2cam

Established Member
The guy in the fox should have lifted much sooner.. That wasn't having big balls driving it like that, it is having no brains..

nonliberal

Established Member
the motor was blowing oil something fierce.. We knew a rebuild was due after a compression test netted 2 cylinders down over 50psi of compression a month ago.. but we decided to let the bitch eat for a last run

blew the head gasket clean out at the 1/8th mile) ..

I don't know, but if I was running at that track and found out that you knew your car was "blowing oil something fierce" and the motor was probably going to blow on your next pass so you spray it with a 200 shot.

I would probably take that as a direct (**** you) to me and all the other people racing there. Just because you don't have a lot tied up in your car doesn't mean the next guy wants to possibly go into the wall because you can't skip one last run. :rollseyes

Seems very inconsiderate to me.

Users who are viewing this thread