video of my "factory freak" '04 on the dyno

torchenvy

I e-brake all FWD cars!
Established Member
I finally got my car running right, that's a whole other story, so I decided I would take it to be dyno tested to check the a/f and see what my power numbers were before any more mods.

I have read that there is quite a variance in the hp output of these motors due to the fact that they were hand built. I thought that I had one of the weaker ones. The only mods the car has are: K&N FIPK II, off-road h-pipe, and a MAC cat-back. After the first pull we saw the A/F ratio was 12.7 and the dyno guy said it was lean and possibly dangerous. So I decided to get a SCT dyno tune.

The dyno guy at Modular Depot, which is where it all happened at, called it a "factory freak" because of the power. At first he thought it had a Lightning pulley, but they looked and the car had never had the stock pulley removed, plus the boost was 9.3 lbs. He also said my car holds the record on his dyno for the most power output by a stock pullied Cobra.:-D

Here is the dyno chart after it was tuned:

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Check out the video at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnSpdfRW4Tc

BeattySTi

Import Traitor
Established Member
thats cool. my friend had one of the lower end cobras and needless to say when mine put down 430 to the wheels with just a exhaust and intake he was mad.

torchenvy

I e-brake all FWD cars!
Established Member
BeattySTi said:
thats cool. my friend had one of the lower end cobras and needless to say when mine put down 430 to the wheels with just a exhaust and intake he was mad.

Was the 430 with or without an aftermarket tune. were the numbers SAE? I am pretty sure the dyno guy said my numbers are SAE. He said he could change the numbers to the other way and inflate them.

CobraKindaGuy

Established Member
torchenvy said:
I finally got my car running right, that's a whole other story, so I decided I would take it to be dyno tested to check the a/f and see what my power numbers were before any more mods.

I have read that there is quite a variance in the hp output of these motors due to the fact that they were hand built. I thought that I had one of the weaker ones. The only mods the car has are: K&N FIPK II, off-road h-pipe, and a MAC cat-back. After the first pull we saw the A/F ratio was 12.7 and the dyno guy said it was lean and possibly dangerous. So I decided to get a SCT dyno tune.

The dyno guy at Modular Depot, which is where it all happened at, called it a "factory freak" because of the power. At first he thought it had a Lightning pulley, but they looked and the car had never had the stock pulley removed, plus the boost was 9.3 lbs. He also said my car holds the record on his dyno for the most power output by a stock pullied Cobra.:-D

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Check out the video at:

Mine has you beat. Stock pulley, flowmasters and K&N with SCT XCal2 tune. 452.0 RWHP and 422.8 ft-lbs in RWTQ. 9.5 pounds of boost. A/F was 12.2 tuned. My pull was uncorrected but would still be higher than yours since 5 RWHP and TQ would be deducted for the SAE correction at that place and time. My tuner said the same thing to me...he never saw one pull that hard using the stock pulley.

srl135

Wreck 'em Tech!
Established Member
guess i never really knew how much variance there was... is that common for the new edge cobras too then since they were handbuilt as well?

btw awesome #s on the cobra!!! Beautiful as well!

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
torchenvy said:

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Check out the video at:

Congrats, My car put out 413RWHP with CAI and lousy ex.
Ford really underated the true HP.
I'd have grab the dyno sheet, but with the advanced timing it had more torque than hosrepower.
Jeff

Last edited:

torchenvy

I e-brake all FWD cars!
Established Member
black01mustang said:
I made 416/380 with catbank and intake and in desperate need of a tune. It all depends on the dyno and they can be off.

your numbers are almost identical to my first pull numbers.

torchenvy

I e-brake all FWD cars!
Established Member
Our cars are AWESOME!! Right around 500 h.p. at the crank with just a filter and exhaust!!!!! :rockon: Plus quite a few of you have backed me up with similar, if not even better results.

torchenvy

I e-brake all FWD cars!
Established Member
srl135 said:
guess i never really knew how much variance there was... is that common for the new edge cobras too then since they were handbuilt as well?

btw awesome #s on the cobra!!! Beautiful as well!

when you say "new edge" do you mean pre-terminator cars?

thanks for the compliment. Your ride looks pretty nice also. ;-)

jleews6

Established Member
Im not a dyno guy and I think the only thing a dyno should be used for is to tune. That being said ,some of you guys make alot of power for such little mods. My car only made 430 and that was with the JLT CAI,cat back,tune,2.76 pulley and idlers,.
The truth will come when you go to the track. My car went low 11s 11.30s and 40s) at full weight on nittos. with 430 RWHP.
What are some of you running with the same power? Im starting to wonder if my dyno was just a stingy dyno.

9cobra4

Chickennoodlesoup.
Established Member
Yellow4.6 said:
Ken B and the guys at MD do an awesome job:rockon:

Nice #'s:beer:

kens the man. he did a baseline on my dad's 03 and was at 399.9 with just a FIPK

Users who are viewing this thread