Video of driveshaft play: too much?

foofinator

Engineer/Lawyer
Established Member
I recently installed a new driveshaft and had to change the pinion flange out for a yoke. I ended up screwing up the torque settings etc., but no big deal, the gears were whining like mad anyway.

Now the car makes a lot of noise on deceleration, and it sounds like it's from the rear end. I figured I'd confirm with you guys if the rear end was indeed my problem.

th_20160618_164356_001_zpseps9wu8t.jpg

Thoughts?

hotcobra03

Established Member
Looks like alot of backlash..

I just had mine apart to replace ring and pinion..

mine has almost no play doing what you are..

did you follow manual when doing this..

I didnt do any of the steps..just winged it..

I still have a whine but I didnt replace any bearings except inner pinion

rear has over 200k on it..

I needed car to roll will do bearings next time in..

I found that those thick carrier bearing shims are different in size where I put mine in to make gears tighter vs loose.

I did use dial indacator..but didnt paint gear for pattern..and no case spreader..

read many threads on others with noise..even straight axle..

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
The problem most likely is because you changed the yoke and did not TQ it properly. If you did not check turning TQ prior to removal and set turning TQ EXACTLY to how it was when it came off when you reassmbled, you caused a problem unfortunately. This will possibly start the slow destruction of bearings and possibly your gears.

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
I have this same issue in my gt500. Factory gearing, does your car make a clunk when engaging lower gears?

Users who are viewing this thread