video of 10.77 pass, 99 Cobra 'Vert 150 shot

Xplicit

Su Corazón
Established Member
Joe, i've been following your posts from time to time. Your 'vert is simply amazing and so is your engineering prowess. More fun than an old guy should be allowed to have? HELL NO! I hope i'm still having fun at that age. God bless, and GREAT vid :beer:

Joe Lynch

Established Member
Thanks, gentlemen.

If I wasn't having so much fun with the 99, I'd be buying an '03. But I'd have to put a live axle, roll bar, and all my computer stuff into the '03 before I ever put a slick on it. But it is tempting, just too expensive for me and waaaay too time consuming.

Joe

Venomous98Cobra

Established Member
I am afraid that the first time I run my D-1SC at the track, that they will kick me off. I don't have a roll bar, a helmet or a driveshaft safety loop. I am hoping to be running in the 11s at least.

Joe Lynch

Established Member
Yep, at least borrow a helmet. I haven't had anyone even crawl under the car to check for a driveshaft loop--I have one, so don't worry too much. I had to avoid NHRA events for nearly 3 years because I have a convertible and didn't have a roll bar. A lot of the IHRA strips will start enforcing the roll bar rules for convertibles at 11.5 or so.

I have to have an 8 pt cage now as well.

Joe

Venomous98Cobra

Established Member
If I am going to run 11s I figured I might as well invest in a 8 point roll cage. I also guess I might as well buy a helmet...I want to at least run a couple of times to see what she can do.

Joe Lynch

Established Member
Even a 6 point bar stiffened up my car a bunch. With an 8 point, don't worry about any sub frame connectors if you haven't gotten any already.
Joe

Venomous98Cobra

Established Member
I had gotten sub-frames for my 5.0 because I guess from launches the A-pillars on both sides of the windshield began to crack near the roof and I ripped the crap out of my passenger side torque box. I will probably be getting sub-frames again on the 98 because they really helped make the body stiff. But of course I will also be using the the roll cage.

Joe Lynch

Established Member
Sounds like you know a lot more about the perils of running a Mustang without modifications than I do. The only Mustang I have owned is the 99 and I learned all I know on it. Good luck with the supercharger. I may try a turbo in 2005. Maybe.
Joe

Venomous98Cobra

Established Member
Well the fastest that I have been down the track was at 14.3 in my then stock 5.0. I ran a sn-89 Paxton S/C and snapped the brackets in half before it e'er saw the track. After I removed the S/C I gave the car away to a buddy of mine and have since been planning on working with my 98 Cobra. I just hope that I don't run into any more problems with her. The motor has already been blown-up at 32k miles(wiped out a cam and main bearing). Everything I do now I try to pre plan before running into even minor problems. Also I looked into purchasing a turbo and the problem for me is that it won't pass the damn emmisions here in VA. So I went S/C because I can easily remove the belt.

Users who are viewing this thread