*VIDEO* My Eclipse GSX vs E46 M3 from a dig

EclipsorGreen

Established Member
Hey everyone, please read all of this before downloading the video(s).

I'm a new member here. I've posted a few replies, and so far I have gotten a good impression of this forum. People have been friendly and I haven't gotten shit for "being a st00p1d r1C3R" ... yet. Hopefully that won't change after I make this post. :shrug:

These videos have been around the internet a thousand times by now, but I didn't see them when I searched on this forum. It was funny as hell reading everyone's responses. There are soooo many uneducated people running around on all these Internet forums. I guess that's life. I'm glad people on this forum seem to be "smarter" than most. I'm seeing a direct correlation between the average speed of the cars on a forum and the average IQ of the users on a forum.

Anyway, I own a '98 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX that I have modified myself. You can find more information at my website.

The first video is a race between myself and a new E46 M3. I blow my motor at the end of the run (be sure to turn up your volume). Stupid little connecting rods can't hold any horsepower. :bash: The second video is a bit longer and depicts the awful carnage that ensued after the rotating assembly became "unbalanced" at roughly 6k RPMs.

Just a few important points to mention:

1) The M3 *was* racing. Believe me. I gave the guy a big smile and pointed forward. He responded with a head nod. If you don't believe me, then I'm sorry. There's no way I can prove anything.

2) I am not bouncing off the rev limiter at the start of the race. I have a launch limiter (commonly called a two-stage by the muscle car crowd, I think) that cuts fuel to the cylinders and holds the RPMs at 5500. This cools the cylinders and spools the turbo so I have positive manifold pressure. This makes for a great AWD launch (0-60 in well under 4 seconds on street tires).

3) The person videotaping the race and "narrating" the aftermath is my friend Brian. Please don't be too hard on him for the camera work. It was his first time as camera man. :??: HIS FINGERNAIL IS LONG AS A SIGN OF THAI GOOD LUCK. HE IS NOT A COKE ADDICT!! :rolling:

Here are the videos:

The Race
The Aftermath

And here is the entire "Kill Story," if you're interested in reading even MORE...

----------------------------------------

I was headed to work yesterday morning with my friend Brian. We spotted a new E46 M3 up ahead on the highway. He was turning right at a stoplight, so we decided to take a detour.

As we followed suit, I gunned it and got up next to him in the left lane. I paced him for a couple seconds and gave him a big smile. Just then a stoplight turned red in front of us and we slowed to a stop. I looked over at the M3 owner and pointed forward. He acknowledged with a head nod so I knew it was on.

Brian had grabbed the video camera minutes before and had been taping the entire event. He kept the camera low so the driver wouldn't see it. We didn't want to spook the guy out of the race. M3 owners never seem to race me up here in Northern VA.

The traffic signal for the opposing turn lane turned yellow, then red. I pressed the accelerator to the floor and my launch limiter kept the revs at a very noisy 5500 RPMs. I wasn't looking at the M3 owner's face at this point, but I'm assuming he was getting a bit nervous.

The light turns green and I let the clutch up quickly. I didn't sidestep it, as I was still worried about my new transmission (I had just shattered my center differential two weeks before). The clutch slipped ever so slightly, all four tires gripped the pavement, and I was off with zero wheelspin from my brand new 225/45ZR17 Kumho Ecsta Supra tires.

The M3 driver was just as alert. He had been inching forward the entire time and actually began accelerating a fraction of a second before me. This didn't help him much though. By the end of first gear, which winds out almost immediately, the M3 was just behind my front bumper.

After a loud backfire (running rich as hell) I granny shifted into 2nd (still babying the tranny) and wound out 2nd gear. The M3 was falling back fast and was about two cars behind at this point. Third gear was coming up and I was excited, because it is definitely my power gear. I found 3rd and began to pull away even harder, and then it happened.

Screws were thrown into my exhaust pipe. At least that's what it sounded like. My heart sunk to the bottom of my chest. I knew what the horrible sound really was. My completely stock shortblock with 78,000 miles finally gave out.

I hadn't gotten my car to the dyno yet, but estimates were somewhere around 450 bhp at the flywheel, untuned. That's about 112 hp per piston/rod. I knew it was going to happen sometime, but I sure didn't expect it at that moment. The car wasn't tuned for maximum power and was definitely not running lean. My EGTs had peaked at around 880 deg C, I had no detonation, I was running only 18 psi, and I had not even added any additional spark timing advance. I guess 78,000 miles of hard driving, 50 or so clutch dumps, around 10 drag strip runs, a few road racing events, ten or so autocrosses did it in.

I limped over to the side of the road as the M3 driver passed me by with an astonished look on his face. I got out of the car and sat on the grass for a few minutes, contemplating what had just happened. In retrospect, that was a good thing to do. I didn't need dents in the side of my door, and I definitely didn't need a broken foot.

So the flatbed came and towed the car back to my house. The beast had left a lake coolant and oil where she rested. Brian and I went back to the scene of the disaster later in the day and discovered the bottom portion of a connecting rod and a thumb-size chunk of iron block. These two pieces were only a small hint of the destruction we would uncover later in the day after we removed the cylinder head.

Once we got home from work, we removed the head in just over an hour. What we uncovered was easily the worst carnage we had ever seen as a result of a bent connecting rod. The entire engine block and all its internal components literally disintegraed.

Schrapnel from exploding pistons and bearings was shot out the back of the iron block into the firewall (which was the loud sound we heard inside the car). The balance shaft was smashed through the rear of the block, creating a hand-size hole through which the crankshaft was easily visible. Multiple connecting rods were bent, twisted, melted, etc. Pistons were completely mangled and cylinder two had a silver-dollar size hole in the cylinder wall.

All in all, it could have been much worse (really!), as the damage was localized to the short block. Surprisingly, the cylinder head was untouched, except two very small nicks on the exhaust valves of the number one cylinder. No significant metal fragments exited my exhaust, as my exhaust turbine fins were untouched.

In goes the race block w/ forged internals. This sure was a learning experience. I was hoping the stock block would hold up for a bit longer, but oh well.

If you got this far, thanks for reading. Please do not start saying anything about the validity of any of my comments. Everything happened as I stated it (to the best of my recollection), and the M3 driver was definitely racing me. I'm sorry if you don't believe me for some reason.

Anyway, I hope you all enjoyed that!

Chris

Last edited:

Pyro

Established Member
Nice Kill.
As far as rice, your ride doesn't fit the description for rice IMO. No rice stickers, no Japanese characters, no huge tale, no evidence of neon, and most importantly, it's legitimately fast....therefore, not rice.:thumbsup:

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Your video has been posted here, before, as you could imagine ;-) . Thanks for the update and thorough explanation.

When running well, the AWD DSMs are awesome cars. You will find many members on this board that either went to a Lightning or Cobra after owning a DSM (a few still have both). The supercharged '99-up Ls and '03 Cobras have the same inexpensive upgrade potential that the turbo cars do.

As an SVT enthusiast site, you will find a bias toward that product, however, most of the members of this board respect fast cars of all makes and models (unless it is covered with stickers and has a park-bench wing :rolling: ). We just like cars that can: :burnout:

Enjoy your stay :beer:

Snake-Shadow

Established Member
Welcome to the site

I have seen this video before and it is finally nice to hear your side of the story, I have been on other forums where this video has been circulating.

My heart sunk to the bottom of my chest.

Even watching that video makes me sick to my stomach.

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
On your "launch limiter" are you sure it cuts fuel and not spark? This is kind of rhetorical but at the sametime not because maybe you have some way of not detonating from lack of fuel?

CobraBri

Established Member
Originally posted by EclipsorGreen
I'm seeing a direct correlation between the average speed of the cars on a forum and the average IQ of the users on a forum.

Chris

Ever been to corvetteforum? ;-)

BTW, I would have thought the M3 would have been the one to blow its motor... :lol: You getting the shortblock from Buschur?

EclipsorGreen

Established Member
Originally posted by Pyro
Nice Kill.
As far as rice, your ride doesn't fit the description for rice IMO. No rice stickers, no Japanese characters, no huge tale, no evidence of neon, and most importantly, it's legitimately fast....therefore, not rice.:thumbsup:

Thanks for the compliments!

I really like your Cobra. Have you taken it to the track since you've replaced the pulley?

And are those RX330s already on sale? Very nice SUV. :thumbsup:

Chris

EclipsorGreen

Established Member
Originally posted by Blue03Cobra
Your video has been posted here, before, as you could imagine ;-) . Thanks for the update and thorough explanation.

When running well, the AWD DSMs are awesome cars. You will find many members on this board that either went to a Lightning or Cobra after owning a DSM (a few still have both). The supercharged '99-up Ls and '03 Cobras have the same inexpensive upgrade potential that the turbo cars do.

As an SVT enthusiast site, you will find a bias toward that product, however, most of the members of this board respect fast cars of all makes and models (unless it is covered with stickers and has a park-bench wing :rolling: ). We just like cars that can: :burnout:

Enjoy your stay :beer:

I've been following the new Cobras for a little while now. It seems pretty safe to assume that they've taken the title of "Best Bolt-On Car" from the Supra. I still wish Ford would have fully redesigned the chassis from the ground up, but hopefully that will come in time.

Hopefully I'll learn alot more about the new Cobras from this board. I need all the info I can get if I ever want to compete with modified Cobras. :cuss: ;-)

Chris

EclipsorGreen

Established Member
Originally posted by Booyah
On your "launch limiter" are you sure it cuts fuel and not spark? This is kind of rhetorical but at the sametime not because maybe you have some way of not detonating from lack of fuel?

It definitely cuts fuel and not spark. I would be much more hesitant to use it if I knew my cylinders were quickly filling up with puddles of gasoline.

I'm not sure I understand your second question. If you're wondering whether or not I get knock from the launch limiter, since it cuts fuel, then no. Since no fuel is being injected into the cylinders, no combustion occurs, so the unburnt air simply passes out the exhaust valves. It's also very uncommon to detonate w/ no load on the engine.

If I misunderstood your question, I'm sorry. Just let me know.

Chris

EclipsorGreen

Established Member
Originally posted by Twisty
Hey I saw the video and I know how you feel when it all went bad. What part of northern VA are you from?

I'm living near Fair Oaks right now. I work in Herndon, which is only about 5 minutes from Sterling. What kind of car do you drive Twisty?

Chris

EclipsorGreen

Established Member
Re: Re: *VIDEO* My Eclipse GSX vs E46 M3 from a dig

Originally posted by CobraBri
Ever been to corvetteforum? ;-)

BTW, I would have thought the M3 would have been the one to blow its motor... :lol: You getting the shortblock from Buschur?

I don't go to corvetteforum often, but I think I will start right now. :lol1:

You know, I was wondering how his motor managed to stayed together too! :p Honestly though, I did just finish reading this post.

I decided not to go with Buschur for cost reasons. I chose to go with a newer shop, SBR, for block assembly and machining services. I've heard very good things about them, and I couldn't find better prices at any reputable shops. They are supposed to finish up the machine work tomorrow. I can't wait to pick it up.

Chris

Pyro

Established Member
Thanks Chris! The RX330 just came out and the Cobra is not exactly a long distance luxury car AND doesn't have DVD to keep the kids busy.

I haven't taken the Cobra to the track yet but I plan to this summer after re-program with the Predator.

EclipsorGreen

Established Member
Thanks Chris! The RX330 just came out and the Cobra is not exactly a long distance luxury car AND doesn't have DVD to keep the kids busy.

I know man... compromises, compromises. ;-)

I haven't taken the Cobra to the track yet but I plan to this summer after re-program with the Predator.

I bet you can't wait. I know I wouldn't be able to.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread