[Video] Blower shot or bad pulley bearings...or something else?

vipergts281

Established Member
Awesome, thanks for the info! If anything I'll just clean it without removing the snout and do as you suggested. As you said, there real reason to remove the snout at this point.

Any chance you know the part #'s for the 10 bolts that hold the IC to the blower? And the gasket part # for where the IC piping mounts to the lower intake (this gasket)?

I'm starting to order parts and I'm having trouble finding a few things.

Thanks again. :beer:

EDIT: Here are the part #'s I was asking about in case it helps anyone else. I spoke to Steve at Tousley Ford about 20 minutes ago.

• Gasket that goes between intercooler manifold and lower intake - Part # 2R329L438BA
  • 7 mm bolts that join intercooler and blower - Part # W5064045437 (you need 10 of these)

I also ordered a new gasket that goes between the blower and lower intake and the gasket for the EGR valve. Everything came to $39.XX.

Last edited:

dynobobstieg

Actually could be several things call us and we can go over everything with you.
If you send it in to us we do not charge to evaluate.
We do have a blower dyno to put it on.:beer:
Thank you
STIEGEMEIER:burnout:
636-949-2275
Stiegemeier Porting Services, LLC - Supercharger Rebuild and Repair

Again we do not charge to evaluate your unit has a lot of miles on it to be on the safe side and it is already off, we would be happy to inspect this out for you. We are an Authorized Eaton remanufacturer.
Thank you
Stiegemeier
636-949-2275

theunseenclass

Get that shit outa here
Established Member
Viper i actually have the same noise as u posted in Silverboost's video. I replaced all the slack adjusters and rockers in the head as well as having bronze valve guides pressed in and it still remains. I also replaced both main timing chain tensioners as I noticed one chain looked like it had a little bit of slack and of course after putting it together it didn't help the ticking noise lol. The only thing I havn't done is replace the inner pulley bearings like Silverboost did to fix his problem. Its super frustrating as i'm sure you know.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Thanks for the info.

Yeah, after taking it off, it appears my blower is fine. Not sure if you caught it above in one of my posts, but it sounds like I may have a bad timing tensioner.

I would like to remove the lower intake to clean it.

How hard is it to remove the intake at this point? I only have 4 bolts holding it down right now. Is it just as simple as removing them all and lifting it out (and disconnecting the vacuum hose)?

No problem. :beer:

Should I not open up the snout on my blower? I swear I remember reading that you shouldn't mess with them because they are hard to get back together properly (or something along those lines).

As of right now the plan was to clean the IC, sand down the burrs on the blower rotors, put new o-rings on the IC tubes, and then put everything back together.

Although, how long can you run around with a bad timing chain tensioner? Can you ruin your engine (or something else) if you go too long with a bad one? I thought I red something about a chain jumping??

I have ZERO desire to do that fix myself, I would just pay someone.

i wasnt crazy about just pulling supercharger apart,,,i read for a day first..

in the 1 pic you have intake looks unbolted already...so what 4 bolts are still in?

all that crap on top takes 5 mins to remove and have out of the way...

the fuel line will spin to the side,,,if you had to remove and didnt have a quick disconnect tool ..just behind valve cover is an old school connection with the white push clip,,,

the lower intake comes up on an angle...with blower on this is why egr valve needs to be removed,,to make the turn/tilt...

really after a couple times it takes half hour off and on...

while all this is being done...if you still have stock lower pulley...try turning pulley back and forth by hand and see if you hear the noise you have been hearing...

also the timing chain adjusters are very easy to do...adjusters cost too much,,,if you can pull blower you can do adjusters

dynobobstieg

We have plenty of bolts just send me your contact information we will send those to you NO Charge:beer: If you decide to send in your blower for us to check out we can send those bolts back with your unit.

Stiegemeier:burnout:
Authorized Eaton Re-manufacturer
As always feel free to give us a call with any questions or concerns.
636-949-2275

swt99svt

Established Member
Dude, SAME sound I had. You mentioned your timing cover earlier. My issue: one of the rear idler pullies was walking off the bearing. I have a picture some where out there from my tear down that actually showed where the powdercoat was worn down back to the timing cover itself.

For what it's worth, check the idlers behind the tensioner back by the pulley bridge.

It's hard to see in this pic but look down to the lower crank pulley/cage and then up and to the left a bit. The silver ring is where the pulley was walking.

IMG-20120209-00073.jpg

vipergts281

Established Member
Viper i actually have the same noise as u posted in Silverboost's video. I replaced all the slack adjusters and rockers in the head as well as having bronze valve guides pressed in and it still remains. I also replaced both main timing chain tensioners as I noticed one chain looked like it had a little bit of slack and of course after putting it together it didn't help the ticking noise lol. The only thing I havn't done is replace the inner pulley bearings like Silverboost did to fix his problem. Its super frustrating as i'm sure you know.
Damn, that sucks. Hope you get it figured out. :beer:

Seems like a pita to get to those inner pullies.

in the 1 pic you have intake looks unbolted already...so what 4 bolts are still in?
I put 4 back in (hand tight right now) to hold it down while pulling the blower.

while all this is being done...if you still have stock lower pulley...try turning pulley back and forth by hand and see if you hear the noise you have been hearing...

also the timing chain adjusters are very easy to do...adjusters cost too much,,,if you can pull blower you can do adjusters
Yup, still stock lower. I'll turn it and listen for anything.

Thanks! :beer:

We have plenty of bolts just send me your contact information we will send those to you NO Charge:beer: If you decide to send in your blower for us to check out we can send those bolts back with your unit.

Stiegemeier:burnout:
Thanks for the offer but I already ordered some from Steve at Tousley 2 days ago.

I appreciate your offer though. :beer:

Dude, SAME sound I had. You mentioned your timing cover earlier. My issue: one of the rear idler pullies was walking off the bearing. I have a picture some where out there from my tear down that actually showed where the powdercoat was worn down back to the timing cover itself.

For what it's worth, check the idlers behind the tensioner back by the pulley bridge.

It's hard to see in this pic but look down to the lower crank pulley/cage and then up and to the left a bit. The silver ring is where the pulley was walking.
Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a look. :beer:

POSSIBLE STUPID QUESTION:

I rented a compression tester. Does the blower have to be on before I can do the compression test? I just got new spark plugs today so I'm changing them out while I'm doing everything else.

Also, do I pull them all out at once and then test them or can I pull one at a time? They all have to come out, so it doesn't really matter, just wondering.

Thanks!

hotcobra03

Established Member
its best to do compression test on warm motor,,,it will be lower when cold,,

like maybe 150 cold..160-180 warm

all plugs out,,fuel pump fuse pulled..throttle body wide open... is how i did mine

vipergts281

Established Member
Got it all back together. Fired right up.

Started smoking again. It was dark out so I'll look into it more tomorrow. Appeared to be coming from one of the pullies but until I can get a better look at it I can't say for sure if that's definitely the cause.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Got it all back together. Fired right up.

Started smoking again. It was dark out so I'll look into it more tomorrow. Appeared to be coming from one of the pullies but until I can get a better look at it I can't say for sure if that's definitely the cause.

yea your going to smoke alittle..
eveything you touched has oil on it and will burn off

did you pull the lower intake out ? and if so,was the vacuum hose tight on fitting? or did yours get hard and spin

vipergts281

Established Member
yea your going to smoke alittle..
eveything you touched has oil on it and will burn off

did you pull the lower intake out ? and if so,was the vacuum hose tight on fitting? or did yours get hard and spin
I didn't remove the lower intake. I cleaned it up while it was in there.

I found the problem. The smoke and grinding noise is a bad pulley. The pulley that goes on the tensioner on the back belt is totally busted! I'll post pics later. I already removed everything to get to it and pulled it off. Working on getting a new one asap so I can get my car up and running again. So the good news is it's nothing serious.

Getting the back belt off looks to be a pita! Looks like the lower pulley bracket thingy :shrug: has to be removed to get it off. I plan on replacing the belt while I'm replacing the pulley.

vipergts281

Established Member
So I decided to climb under my car today to get a better look as the smoke seemed to be coming from down low. This is what I saw...

DSC07377.jpg

DSC07378.jpg

DSC07379.jpg

As you can see the belt is not where it should be and was rubbing on the screw. So I "fixed" it. That's when I realized the pulley was busted. Here you can see the belt is still too far over on the tensioner pulley.

DSC07380.jpg

DSC07382.jpg

Here you can tell something is wrong...
DSC07388.jpg

The mark the belt and pulley are making on the front cover...
DSC07391.jpg

This is after I removed the front pulleys and got a clear view...
DSC07393.jpg

DSC07394.jpg

And here is the damaged pulley...
DSC07396.jpg

DSC07397.jpg

My local Ford dealer has a pulley in stock but a belt won't be in until tomorrow morning.

Here is a shot with the front pullies off and the back tensioner pulley off and cleaned up a bit so you can see where it was rubbing.

DSC07400.jpg

Last edited:

swt99svt

Established Member
I didn't remove the lower intake. I cleaned it up while it was in there.

I found the problem. The smoke and grinding noise is a bad pulley. The pulley that goes on the tensioner on the back belt is totally busted! I'll post pics later. I already removed everything to get to it and pulled it off. Working on getting a new one asap so I can get my car up and running again. So the good news is it's nothing serious.

Getting the back belt off looks to be a pita! Looks like the lower pulley bracket thingy :shrug: has to be removed to get it off. I plan on replacing the belt while I'm replacing the pulley.

I'm just that good! Same pulley I had an issue with. Glad it was nothing more than a $47 pulley!

PS, you're engine needs a bath. BAD!

Last edited:

vipergts281

Established Member
I'm just that good! Same pulley I had an issue with. Glad it was nothing more than a $47 pulley!

PS, you're engine needs a bath. BAD!
Haha, I was waiting for you to respond. As I was taking the pulley off I'm thinking "son of a bi*ch, it's exactly the issue he posted about."

:beer:

And yes, I'm cleaning it up while I have the pulleys off. So much gunk down there.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Wow on a scale to 10 being the best that could be cleaned you're like a 50 lol. Nice job!

Edit: I forgot to say you're welcome and if you ever need any help with something like this you can shoot us a pm and we'll help if we can.

vipergts281

Established Member
:rockon::beer:

Wow on a scale to 10 being the best that could be cleaned you're like a 50 lol. Nice job!

Edit: I forgot to say you're welcome and if you ever need any help with something like this you can shoot us a pm and we'll help if we can.

Thanks! I'm actually a little annoyed I couldn't get the IC a little cleaner. If you look closely you can see a tiny bit of oil on the fins. I'd get it clean and then as it would sit, gravity took over and any traces of oil would all run down to the bottom. Cleaned it like 3 times and could never get it 100%. Oh well, MUCH BETTER than before and its not like it would stay 100% clean anyways once it's back on the car.

And thanks for the PM offer. :beer:

Side Note: Went to Ford to get the new pulley and belt about an hour ago. Parts guy ordered the wrong pulley. New one will be in around 3. He says you have to buy the whole tesioner as they don't sell just the pulley that goes on it. :shrug:

He cut me a deal on it though, so it all worked out.

Now I just need to get my hands on a 14mm allen socket so I can get the lower pulley off. PepBoys biggest size was only a 10mm. Worst case I just use the old belt (it's not THAT bad) and find a socket wherever I can and then just replace the belt sometime in the very near future. Just sucks to take everything off again, but it's not the end of the world. I just need my car running asap and can't afford it to be down any longer.

Users who are viewing this thread