EditorTurner

Established Member
0-2015-F-150-Road-Trip-Review-Featured.jpg

Long Haul
Putting Ford’s 2.7-liter pickup to the test on a 2,000-mile road trip
By SID297
Photos courtesy of Ford Motor Company

SVTP recently had the opportunity to drive the latest Ford F-150, which features a lot of upgrades over the previous model, including an aluminum body and a 2.7-liter EcoBoost engine. We were definitely excited to put the truck through its paces and test its everyday livability. We were particularly excited to sample its compact EcoBoost engine.

The 2.7 is by far the smallest engine available in the half-ton segment, but with what it may lack in displacement, it makes up for with boost. This small engine borrows a lot of technology from the 6.7-liter Powerstroke diesel. It’s got direct injection, turbocharging and a compacted-graphite-iron block designed to withstand the higher cylinder pressures from the turbo and 10.5:1 compression ratio.

In true SVTPerformance fashion, we decided the best way to test this truck out was to take it on a 2,000-mile road trip from our headquarters in South Carolina to Detroit, Michigan. We wanted to see if this aluminum-bodied, small-displacement truck could perform to the level that we performance enthusiasts demand.

For our complete review of the truck, watch this…

[video=youtube;h-B3VZWT_JU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-B3VZWT_JU[/video]

Nicely appointed, this 2015 F-150 stickered for $42,635, which we believed was a bit pricy for a basic truck. However, the truck proved itself as a capable tow rig, a sporty handler and it delivered some impressive mileage throughout the trip, so a 2.7-liter F-150 is definitely worth considering as your next pickup.

1-2015-F-150-Road-Trip-Review.jpg

We put a 2015 F-150 equipped with the 2.7-liter EcoBoost engine to the test on a 2,000-mile road trip. We also strapped it to the rollers of Pro Dyno’s mobile Dynojet chassis dyno, where it produced over 271 horsepower and 351 lb-ft of torque at the wheels.

AAG

Established Member
In the market for one within the next 6 months, but I keep going back and forth between the 3.5, 2.7, and 5.0.

nxhappy

Established Member
the 2.7 is a great little motor, but if you want more power opportunity, get the 3.5 (especially for towing larger things)

sono

Established Member
Next we will be hooking trailer hitches up to smart cars.

archerychamp3d

Established Member
I just got the f150 screw 4x4 with 5.0 I am very happy so far and have seen 22.3mpg hand calculated on the interstate. That enough mpg for me not to worry about turbo's.

Users who are viewing this thread