Vibrations felt through acceleration, need some input

nickstobias

cobracommander04
Established Member
Hello everyone, so My car is making a weird vibration from accelerating from slow speeds to high, A few months ago I had a RXT put in my Kilpatrick Engine and Transmission in Waukesha Wi. They have a great reputation and do good work. Fastforward a few months later I have my car at Firestone(only place I could get into to change a serpentine belt) and when they drove it they told me it was the clutch? The clutch is not slipping and im getting full boost, I think its the driveshaft or a bad U joint. Any idea on what this could be?

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
Hello everyone, so My car is making a weird vibration from accelerating from slow speeds to high, A few months ago I had a RXT put in my Kilpatrick Engine and Transmission in Waukesha Wi. They have a great reputation and do good work. Fastforward a few months later I have my car at Firestone(only place I could get into to change a serpentine belt) and when they drove it they told me it was the clutch? The clutch is not slipping and im getting full boost, I think its the driveshaft or a bad U joint. Any idea on what this could be?

***Driveline vibration issues at cruising speeds. Inspect the following:

• Missing weights or damage to driveshaft
  • Worn U-joints
  • Misalignment of yellow dot on driveshaft-to-yellow dot on pinion flange plus or minus 1 bolt hole
  • Worn or damaged driveshaft center bearing support
  • Loose axle pinion flange bolts
  • Excessive axle pinion flange runout
  • Excessive transmission flange runout
  • Binding or damaged driveshaft CV joint
  • Excessive driveshaft runout and/or driveshaft out-of-balance
  • Driveline angles out of specification
  • Transmission mount not centered

***Clutch-related vibrations

• Engine component grounding against frame
  • Accessory drive belt
  • Flywheel bolts
  • Flywheel
  • Imbalanced clutch pressure plate

nickstobias

cobracommander04
Established Member
***Driveline vibration issues at cruising speeds. Inspect the following:

• Missing weights or damage to driveshaft
  • Worn U-joints
  • Misalignment of yellow dot on driveshaft-to-yellow dot on pinion flange plus or minus 1 bolt hole
  • Worn or damaged driveshaft center bearing support
  • Loose axle pinion flange bolts
  • Excessive axle pinion flange runout
  • Excessive transmission flange runout
  • Binding or damaged driveshaft CV joint
  • Excessive driveshaft runout and/or driveshaft out-of-balance
  • Driveline angles out of specification
  • Transmission mount not centered

***Clutch-related vibrations

• Engine component grounding against frame
  • Accessory drive belt
  • Flywheel bolts
  • Flywheel
  • Imbalanced clutch pressure plate

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

nickstobias

cobracommander04
Established Member
It will be back at the shop in a few weeks, Firestone says it’s the clutch when you take off but I told them it’s a slight shudder, they aren’t getting what I’m trying to explain and I’m not sure if the tech really drove it more to see what I was talking about

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

MG0h3

Established Member
I’d look at the driveshaft and angle.

Has this been going on ever since the clutch went in?

Tire issues are typically speed related and not just accelerating and you can drive through it.

Anytime a transmission is failing it makes all kinds of noise, typically that’s the first warning. Not vibration.

Since the driveshaft was just out, I’d take a look and see if you can see an old outline on the pinion flange which would mean they installed the driveshaft in a different orientation.

If you can’t see the outline, you might just try flipping the driveshaft 180*. You can just pull the four bolts at the pinion flange and either rotate the DS or rotate the tires if they are off the ground.

nickstobias

cobracommander04
Established Member
It did a little vibration when driving, honestly I didn’t think anything of it thought it was the clutch getting slowly broken in. The clutch grabs with no problem with zero slippage and still pulls hard but when I floor it it vibrates much more

MG0h3

Established Member
A slipping clutch can chatter that will seem like a vibration but it’s pretty violent.

I’d suggest checking that DS install.

robvas

Established Member
Go get a $5 angle checker and check the angles on the transmission and driveshaft. They should be opposite, but close.

railroad

Established Member
Under acceleration, engine tq might be moving exhaust, engine, etc making contact with body, frame or rigid part of car. While cruising engine will not be angled over, resulting in no vibration.
good luck,

nickstobias

cobracommander04
Established Member
They said the issue was the front tires were cupped pretty bad with uneven wear and they were loud at cruising speed, eveything else was looked at from the clutch to the drive train drive shaft, etc Guess its time for new tires which sucks as there is plenty of life left on them

nickstobias

cobracommander04
Established Member
Ugh still doing it after replacing front tires, its annoying, they inspected everything and said everything was fine, and when they drove it of course it didnt do it. Its gotta be a suspension issue or maybe its normal with the RXT?

Users who are viewing this thread