Vibration?

#1pony

Established Member
When I get on my Cobra up to about 100 mph I get a very bad vibration that comes from under the centerconsole and makes my dash vibrate. Could this be a bad throw out bearing?

unibager

Established Member
Not saying anyone is wrong, but my 90 saleen had a nasty vib at 90+ mph. Same feeling, shook the dash and all. I had ford gears, ford driveshaft, and thought that the shaft was bad too - it wasnt, but it did cost me 200 to find out. It turned out to be the bearing in the tail section of the trans. I dont know alot about tranny stuff, but I had a tremec 3550. Good luck.

BADBOYSPACK

Ford Tech
Established Member
#1pony said:
I had 3:73's installed last summer. Should I get an aluminum drive shaft?

There are 3 ways to do this!

1. Goto the local Ford dealer and ask them if they have an EVA, if they do they might charge you 1hr (about $80) to tell you exactly what the problem is.Then give you an estimate on what it will take to fix it.

2. Index the drive shaft 180 degrees, if the vibration changes then you know its the drive shaft. Then try moving it 90 degrees in either direction after the 180 degrees to try to fine tune it. In all honesty I will bet you lunch that its the drive shaft.

3. Try going to a local driveline shop and have them balance your drive shaft on the car.

Its that simple!

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
BADBOYSPACK said:
2. Index the drive shaft 180 degrees, if the vibration changes then you know its the drive shaft. Then try moving it 90 degrees in either direction after the 180 degrees to try to fine tune it. In all honesty I will bet you lunch that its the drive shaft.
Yeah since a gear install has been added to the post I will strongly agree. What BADBOY mentioned above is correct but I have never had good luck with a stock driveshaft after doing gear installs for people.

I always recommend to install an aluminum driveshaft

#1pony

Established Member
I had my drive shaft spun at a shop and they said it is fine but there is a vibration that comes on at about 85 mph. I know that it is not rpm dependent so what could be causing this? If it is part of the transmission how can I find out exactly?

93cobra#3326

i love boost!
Established Member
#1pony said:
I had my drive shaft spun at a shop and they said it is fine but there is a vibration that comes on at about 85 mph. I know that it is not rpm dependent so what could be causing this? If it is part of the transmission how can I find out exactly?

sounds like you need a lift so you can get under it safely while running it up to speed to isolate the cause/location of the vib.

ps. you sure its not tire balance related?
rear tires out of balance = seat of pants vib.
fronts = steering wheel shimmy

BADBOYSPACK

Ford Tech
Established Member
#1pony said:

You need to verify that it is a driveline vibration and not a tire vibration, or a bad strut.

You said the vibration was at 100 mph and now its at 85 mph. That tells me that when the driveshaft was indexed it changed the vibration speed.

#1pony

Established Member
BADBOYSPACK said:
You said the vibration was at 100 mph and now its at 85 mph. That tells me that when the driveshaft was indexed it changed the vibration speed.

My fault, the vibration has always come on around 85mph. I am going to get my tires re balanced and then go from there.

Users who are viewing this thread