Vibration Problems -- Please Help?!?

WHAT04

Established Member
Here are the symptons and then I'll list what we've tried:

-When I first got the truck I had the exhaust shake that was solved with exhaust dampeners.
-There still seemed to be a mild vibration at about 65 mph. Thought it might be the factory tonneau - removed it - vibration still there.
-Was installing a Magnaflow muffler and everybody said it would eliminate any further exhaust shake. Installed 14568 and had the pies all mandrel bent and built in place. ie no stress on the exhaust side of things. Vibration still remained.

Vibration is very extreme at times now and can range from 50 to 75 mph, always peaking at 65 mph. Sometimes, it doesn't exist. Worst when it is very warm out.

What my Ford dealer and I have tried:

-Put on '00 chrome rims and balanced them. Typical balance job. Vibration still remained.
-Dealer installed bumper vibration dampener. Still shook.
-All four wheels and tires balanced on Hunter 9700 Road Force Balancer. Two tires seemed really bad.
-Ford replaced two tires and they were balanced on the Hunter 9700. Final road force came in at 2 lb and 9 lb respectively. No problems with rims or tires.

Vibration remains and can be very bad or not bad at all. Took truck back to dealer and said not to give it back 'till fixed. They have had it for 4 days and can't find anything wrong. Are even willing to say it's normal. Well it feels like the wheels are coming off at times.

Sorry about the long post, but does anybody have any slight insight into what this could be? If I take the truck up to 75 mph and throw it in neutral and coast until the truck stops (which by the way is a very long time) the truck shakes it's way through 65 mph but then settles into a constant background vibration that isn't irritating but almost feels like the truck is missing. This does not change as the truck slows down.

Somebody please help. This is killing me.

FlaSVT

Moderator - 2nd Gen Forum
Established Member
If you very lightly touch the brake does it have any effect (better or worse)? I had a '94 F150 that had a bad brake rotor that caused a bad vibration at speed but was not very noticable when going slow. Have you checked the wheel bearings?

NOSBUSA

Established Member
If you can't get anywhere with the DEALER call Ford cust service 1-800-392-3673 in Detroit and voice your compaint. that might get something done.... :fm: I'm having trouble with my L's wheels the plating is coming off I'm in a disput with ford now...

Users who are viewing this thread