Vibration / hum at 70+ mph

usaf_branham

Established Member
So I haven't driven the car on the highway in a year. Started the trip out west today. Once it gets up to 70, there is a noticeable vibration / hum coming from somewhere. I can feel it in the shifter as well as the steering wheel. More like a buzz or high drew drive line vibe.

I just put lowering springs on it a few days ago, along with wheel spacers. I didn't get it aligned yet (waiting for springs to settle). The steering doesn't feel bad, although I do notice it following the grooves in the Georgia highway. The spacers were torqued to spec and I used blue locktite.

Do you guys think it might be flat spots in the tires, or do I need to get it to an alignment shop pronto?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GBCoyote

Established Member
If the vibration wasn't there before the install of all these parts, the problem is going to be somewhere in that area. I would start with the wheel spacers, personally. You have to get it aligned at some point anyways, I would do that first and foremost. If the problem persist I would have to go back and make sure everything was installed correctly.

usaf_branham

Established Member
I'm going to stop somewhere tomorrow and have the spacers removed, a 4 wheel alignment done, and check the tires balance. The cradle lock out could be causing it as well....

I'm going to have them check the torque on the lower strut bolts and rear cradle bolts since they were disturbed with the installation of the steeda springs.

If everything checks out, than its probably the lockouts increasing NVH.

768MPH

Established Member
This is a WELL KNOWN issue with the S550.

Google "Vibration50-70mph mustang"
There is a 125 page thread on another Forum.
I have my own thread as well.

Ford has one more time (in 3rd dealership) to fix my issue before I start proceedings for Lemon Law.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
This is a WELL KNOWN issue with the S550.

Google "Vibration50-70mph mustang"
There is a 125 page thread on another Forum.
I have my own thread as well.

Ford has one more time (in 3rd dealership) to fix my issue before I start proceedings for Lemon Law.

I hope with all the people who have lemon lawed these cars, they get their ****ing acts together and come up with a fix. I very much enjoy driving my car but the driveline vibration bothers me. I don't want to have to fight them into a lemon law.

Joseph Land

Established Member
the first s550 i bought had 11 miles on it and didn't even get it home and had to take it back. They kept it 3 weeks and couldn't fix it and I asked for another car. The last I heard the dealer sent it back to Ford.

They changed the drive shaft, realigned the cradle, replaced the differential. Still same vibration.

usaf_branham

Established Member
The vibration is gone now. It still had a lil bit of vibe after the alignment / removal of spacers. By the time I got to Texas it was gone. I'm assuming it was a combination of flat spots on the tires, possibly the wheel bearings being unhappy from no movement in a year, and the spacers / lack of alignment & stiffer springs exacerbating everything. It seems GTG now. I'm going to put the spacers back on when I get to Vegas (and my stuff arrives).

768MPH

Established Member
Dropped mine off at the dealer this morning; 3rd dealer.

Glad your problem was fixed OP.

Users who are viewing this thread