Vibe with 18" wheels??

330racing

SVT Poster Boy
Established Member
With my stock wheels and BFG tires I always noticed just a FAINT vibration at above 80....not hardly noticeable.....

I bolted 18s on my car and now at 85+ I get a weird vibration....hard to explain but it vibrates for a second , and then no vibration for a second , vibrates for a second, no vibration for a second..... is this an out of balance tire, or did I just make "the vibe" noticeable? Any input would be appreciated.

(I posted this in the driveline section but not much response)

04MysticCobra

Established Member
impulsive1 said:
With my stock wheels and BFG tires I always noticed just a FAINT vibration at above 80....not hardly noticeable.....

I bolted 18s on my car and now at 85+ I get a weird vibration....hard to explain but it vibrates for a second , and then no vibration for a second , vibrates for a second, no vibration for a second..... is this an out of balance tire, or did I just make "the vibe" noticeable? Any input would be appreciated.

(I posted this in the driveline section but not much response)

It could be something like a tire out of round that has a high spot. I would go to this website www.gsp9700.com and find a machine in your area. the Hunter gsp9700 will tell you if the wheels are running true and if your roadforce vibration is too high. If the roadforce numbers are high they will do a match mount by rotating the tire on the rim to get the lowest numbers. its worked for me in the past but if a tire is badly out of round you will not be able to get the numbers in an acceptable range and the tire should be replaced. its a simple solution to the problem as long as your wheels are true.

Later, 04MysticCobra.

-------------------------------------------------------
2004 Mystichrome Cobra coupe.

330racing

SVT Poster Boy
Established Member
Platinum:

Would I feel it in the steering wheel?

A pic:

cobranewrims002.jpg

MaximumSVT

Embrace your fears
Established Member
Premium Member
Dam nice looking car. Love the black wheels. I picked up a set of polished AFS 18x9 and 18x10.5 but have to wait until April to install. Dam you winter!

LCCOBRA

Established Member
MaximumSVT said:
Dam nice looking car. Love the black wheels. I picked up a set of polished AFS 18x9 and 18x10.5 but have to wait until April to install. Dam you winter!

:beer: Not to much longer

geepaw

Heck yes I did it!
Established Member
I had the vibe with both 17 & 18"...hopefully the new drive shaft
from ford will fix it. Picking the car up tomorrow.

Dealer told me the d/s is a new part number vs the original p/n
from the factory.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
impulsive1 said:
Platinum:

Would I feel it in the steering wheel?

A pic:

cobranewrims002.jpg

Absolutely. You may want to lower your tire pressure a little. Run 29 up front and 27 out back. If that makes it worse, go the other way. When you change tire size, you may have to adjust pressure.

Users who are viewing this thread