Vib red paint work needed.

NEOH1

Established Member
Hello,
Last weekend the Champ Car Series was in Cleveland. As part of the events, I drag raced (like Pinks, but not for pink slips) for fun on the track along with ~50 others. This concluded at midnight. While driving home, some road debris shot up and scraped my pass. side door below the molding and put a gash in the molding.

1. When I talk to a body shop, is there anyway to get the OEM paint? I feel that paint matches never look right.

2. Where can I get a new drivers side door molding?

Based on the "boom" when the debris hit, I feel lucky this is all the damage I received. I am pretty bummed, as this will be the first body work done and my paint still looked like new.

stangbear427

Established Member
That sucks.

2. You can get new door belt moldings from LRS, and used (sometimes new) from Mustang Parts Specialties. I thought Mustangs Unlimited had them too, but I just did a quick search and didn't find any in their online catalog- but I think they do anyway. I'm sure there are other places, but that's all that comes to mind right now.

1. You can get OEM paint, you just need to get it from a supplier who carries it. In the end, not using the same brand is seldom the reason paint matches don't look right. A lot of it comes down to the skill of the painter, but in the end it's just science and technology. The original paint on these cars is so old now that if you could go to Dearborn and get a can of what was left when they actually painted your very car, it still probably wouldn't match perfect. Unless you bought it new and put it in a cocoon, which obviously you didn't, the sun (and other factors) has had a chance to affect the color. Your best match will come from a facility that has the equipment to analyze the paint on your car and give the formula to perfectly match what it is, not what it was back in 1993.

That all being said, I'd be interested in the paint code for this color if you get it (or anyone else provides it) as I'd like to get a quart for some touch ups myself.

Straying from the topic slightly, there's something I've been meaning to ask in here for awhile (just getting back to the forum after a two week, uh... *cough*hiatus) which is this: My father has an '01 GT, which is exactly the same color as my '93 Cobra. I was under the impression this was (at the time) a special Cobra only color. Anybody know what the story is with that? It doesn't have the same name, but he was a body man for 40 years and I grew up in the body shop- we can say with authority that parked side by side in any light and under any lights they are identical. both of our cars have had paint work, but I don't believe either of them were completely re-sprayed and we'd be able to tell if they were- so I don't think it's that one of them was re-done in the other color. Anyone able to shed some light on this?

kcp203

Established Member
The same color was used, under various names, for a number of ford cars as well as pickups (the Ranger Splash offered the same color for a number of years). I don't know if the different names got unique paint code #s.

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
stangbear427 said:
That sucks.

2. You can get new door belt moldings from LRS, and used (sometimes new) from Mustang Parts Specialties. I thought Mustangs Unlimited had them too, but I just did a quick search and didn't find any in their online catalog- but I think they do anyway. I'm sure there are other places, but that's all that comes to mind right now.

1. You can get OEM paint, you just need to get it from a supplier who carries it. In the end, not using the same brand is seldom the reason paint matches don't look right. A lot of it comes down to the skill of the painter, but in the end it's just science and technology. The original paint on these cars is so old now that if you could go to Dearborn and get a can of what was left when they actually painted your very car, it still probably wouldn't match perfect. Unless you bought it new and put it in a cocoon, which obviously you didn't, the sun (and other factors) has had a chance to affect the color. Your best match will come from a facility that has the equipment to analyze the paint on your car and give the formula to perfectly match what it is, not what it was back in 1993.
+1..
stangbear427 said:
That all being said, I'd be interested in the paint code for this color if you get it (or anyone else provides it) as I'd like to get a quart for some touch ups myself.
Is your label not on your door? I am about 100% sure that the vib red paint code is ES.

stangbear427 said:
Straying from the topic slightly, there's something I've been meaning to ask in here for awhile (just getting back to the forum after a two week, uh... *cough*hiatus) which is this: My father has an '01 GT, which is exactly the same color as my '93 Cobra. I was under the impression this was (at the time) a special Cobra only color. Anybody know what the story is with that? It doesn't have the same name, but he was a body man for 40 years and I grew up in the body shop- we can say with authority that parked side by side in any light and under any lights they are identical. both of our cars have had paint work, but I don't believe either of them were completely re-sprayed and we'd be able to tell if they were- so I don't think it's that one of them was re-done in the other color. Anyone able to shed some light on this?

No. Vibrant red was available on 93 cobras and GT's, as well as the later model mustangs and rangers. It is also the same color as the 2000 R. They just renamed it to Performance Red. The same color was also used on the red 'spring edition' lx verts. I think that was in 92.

Users who are viewing this thread