Very unusual overheating problem 1998 cobra HELP

rideorange812

Established Member
Hey guys I have a fully built cobra with a weird over heating issue and no one has any ideas. I've tried everything. Motor is forged engine arp head studs bolts custom ground cams and all. Has mmr coolant mod , on3 coolant crossover, 99 cobra pump with 96 pulley lfp triple pass radiator 160 degree stat fan comes on at 180. Never ran over 183 on old turbo setup. Now has vortech ysi cams and bored .20 over and runs hot in stop and go traffic. It slowly cools down going down the road. Have done everything I know and it will just slowly creep up at idle. But it will usually cool down to 172 3 times after the fan kicks on than its like it heat soaks and stops cooling it's self. It does not have air in the system and the fan does work. Does anyone have any ideas? No coolant leaks, no air in system and everything has been replaced. I am lost. Help please.

cbrown9064

Established Member
It was working fine withe the turbo, correct? Did you change any components of the cooling system going from tubo to blower? Did you open up the cooling system when switching to the YSi?

If yes, the the answer is the ARP head studs and bolts.

rideorange812

Established Member
It was working fine withe the turbo, correct? Did you change any components of the cooling system going from tubo to blower? Did you open up the cooling system when switching to the YSi?

If yes, the the answer is the ARP head studs and bolts.
It has arp head studs the whole world is done. All the machine work was inspect check and all nothing is out of spec and it does not have air in the system I have used a vacuum on the coolant till it hits 25 and than I fill. Is it possible a stock fan isn't enough?

cbrown9064

Established Member
It has arp head studs the whole world is done. All the machine work was inspect check and all nothing is out of spec and it does not have air in the system I have used a vacuum on the coolant till it hits 25 and than I fill. Is it possible a stock fan isn't enough?

i was being sarcastic, because you mentioned them and they are not relevant for the the problem.

Can you answer the question? What changed from when it cooled fine to now? What is your definition of "running hot"? What temp? What do datalogs show for ECT versus stock gauge position versus aftermarket water temp gauge?

19Mystic96

Established Member
did this just happen after the new setup was freshly installed? maybe theres air that needs to be burped out of the system

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Is it the same thermostat that you used with the turbo setup?

Did you change the to a different intercooler when you switched to the blower?

What kind of temperatures are you actually seeing it creep up to when it stops cooling? Where is the sensor located for your water temp gauge (I assume you're using an aftermarket gauge)?

Users who are viewing this thread