Very Rich AFTER TUNE (Big Race this Weekend)

03WetSnake

All Or Nothing!!!
Established Member
I will try to make this short winded. 04 cobra just brought it with mods already installed.
1.2.93/4lb lower
2.BBK CAI
3.Accufab single blade w/plenum
4.stock injectors
5.Kb BAP
6.Pro-chamber/weldin-flows
7.custom ported blower from previous owner
8.NGK TR6 .032gap
9.SCT MAF-2400
Took the car to have it tuned and all the works done(not mentioning any names/places right now.)

Had to install the following while on dyno on the second day cause the tuner though i had a bad fuel pump the first day (turns out it was a FRPS with no codes and not broken off)
1.TPS
2.Both Front 02s
3.FRPS

Finally dynoed 458hp/490tq 99degrees shop temp. i'm disappointed,
(tuner said bad ported blower)

My dad brought the car back home cause I'm running one of his business and couldnt be there at the tuning. Drive the car and it feels like crap like slow (occuring power-brake draging feeling), and on decel it sounds like raw fuel is popping in the exhuast, not blurping like lots of searches i have done on here (popping/backfiring) like way rich.

1st gear-3rd WOT at 4500rpmISH-5000 the car cuts out like its flooding/Empty of gas on itself. The car actually feels slower after the tune. So i checked the tank for blown hoses or leaks and their are none to be found.(PPRV Deleted)

So out of just wondering i turn the boost a pump down from 40% to 30% and the car feels better still cutting out alot, but some faster. So i called my tuner and he said to put a wideband on which i did and made 4(4th gear pulls) and the A/F was 10.5-10.7 at 20% BAP. So i'm like Dang, i'm right way too Rich. I said okay i'll turn the pump down more to 10%(more pulls 10.7-10.9)still rich. I turned the BAP down to 2% yes 2% and A/f was 10.8-11.2. So at this point im pissed. Paid my tuner twice to tune the car and its keeps getting faster and faster as i lean the car out with the rich reading on the wideband. The dyno sheet showed 11.8-12.0 but there's no way thats right. The car is so rich I think that was KILLING the dyno numbers no matter how hot it was the blower temps didnt go pass 120 deg.
So now i get my SCT Xcal 2 and try to lean it out or add more timing to offset it and its locked can only add fuel or less timing. I need some help on this and hardly ever post on SVTP.
My tuner is on vacation so getting a email tune is out of the question.
Oh it was so rich it was throwing codes with the BAP at or over 25%
po148-po234-po1237 and if your too rich the FRPS will tell the ECM to kill the pumps and so inlet of the gas to normal drive and it dies cause you have no fuel in the line. As long as i keep the BAP down the car feels good(with no codes), but is there a way to lean the car out more.
I'm truly Sorry this was long But its down right RETARDED.

Last edited:

03WetSnake

All Or Nothing!!!
Established Member
dyno2.jpg

Last edited:

03WetSnake

All Or Nothing!!!
Established Member
sorry email from a pic on iphone4.
the a/f graph is on the bottom and the read line is 14 and the line below that is 12 dotted and my a/f is just under that.

crazycarlo

Established Member
did y say ur running stock injectors on a pullied and ported cobra? Now Im new to this but shouldnt you have 60's on there?

03WetSnake

All Or Nothing!!!
Established Member
I would switch tuners.. and get your money

Not being a smart azz in anyway but how would you go about asking a tuner to give you your money back on a job that he performed? The first day he spend 5.5-6hrs on the dyno trying to figure out why he commanded the ECM to add more fuel but up top the car would not respond to the action he ask it to do by adjusting fuel pump duty cycle. So he said somethings wrong with the car or bad fuel pump. So charged me for just 4hrs and cars not even right. Got home pulled the tank, emptied a race jug and manually turn the pumps on all the way and it put out 1.25 gallons in 60secs which converts to 190lph. So the pumps are fine. The FRPS was bad causing the fuel not to be added up top. So with his great rep and experience why couldn't he had said lets try it while on the dyno and not charged me again later on in the week for a second tuning session. The reason he said he didnt think it was the FRPS cause it wasnt setting any codes and the car would drive and idle but would be way lean after 4500rpm's.

03WetSnake

All Or Nothing!!!
Established Member
did y say ur running stock injectors on a pullied and ported cobra? Now Im new to this but shouldnt you have 60's on there?

The duty cycle on the best pull was only 79% fuel pump duty cycle with the BAP at 40%. The injectors he said look fine and still had alittle room to grow.
I'm looking at some other tuner as well right now. Stiegmeir, and MPH.

31BCobra

#60 04' Cobra - Torch Red
Established Member
Hmm cant remember exactly what the problem was with mine, I got mine tuned over 2 years ago. But when we did we had the same problem where we thought the fuel pump was bad because when we tried to add more fuel the car would not do it up top.

It was something really simple that needed to be cleaned. Think it might have been one of the intake sensors was dirty and causing the ECM to not respond to the tune. Really wish I could remember cause this sounds like the exact same problem I was having. :shrug:

03WetSnake

All Or Nothing!!!
Established Member
Hmm cant remember exactly what the problem was with mine, I got mine tuned over 2 years ago. But when we did we had the same problem where we thought the fuel pump was bad because when we tried to add more fuel the car would not do it up top.

It was something really simple that needed to be cleaned. Think it might have been one of the intake sensors was dirty and causing the ECM to not respond to the tune. Really wish I could remember cause this sounds like the exact same problem I was having. :shrug:

i got the fuel up top issue fix it was the FRPS.

03WetSnake

All Or Nothing!!!
Established Member
The FIX

1st I want to thank Joe @ DynoSpeed Racing for all his Patients, and help with my car. It really means alot when someone is willing to help far as just to say "cars tuned here you go find the problem" (which im sure some tuners might do) I really trust what Joe has to say and areas he had me check.

One problem was the MAF was at Top Dead Center,and was told it has to be at 10'o clock. Maybe that explains why when i datalogged the LOAD would only read 1.70-.80 at WOT. After adjusting the angle now it reads 1.99-2.0

2nd Had a bad ground cable that the previous/previous owner had installed and the battery was move to the passenger rear quarter panel area with the ground going to a small bolt with paint still on it. We ran a bigger ground cable to the front of the car on the block where the ground is suppose to be from the factory. That helped my voltage fall off while the car sat over a short period of time.

3rd AND the BIG ONE. Brand New Ford Fuel Pumps with only 8,000 miles on them were complete locked up. On the Dyno the pumps would max out at 43k-rpm with the BAP turned all the way up. Just couldnt believe that it could be pumps with that low of miles and only 1.5 yr old. So we pulled the tank and applied 12volts and barely anything came out just enough to allow the car to drive and halfway feel good. The previous owner had installed the new pumps trying to find a fuel issue and turns out it was the FRPS. He had the old pumps that were orginally in the car and sent them to me and now at 6000-rpm and the BAP at 35% gain Fuel Pump Duty Cycle is 80%....And the freaking car is actually fast again. But on the down side the stock injectors are maxed out, now that we have enough fuel to work with, but thats no problem.. thanks to everyone for their input, and ideas. hopefully within a month ill have a Posi Port/60# injectors and taking the 4# lower off to add a 6#.. :)

Users who are viewing this thread