Very Random Mail Server Question

BlackOutUT

Established Member
So I have a very random question. If I'm emailing somebody and the message is returned as undeliverable, is there any record the email tried to be delivered on there end?

For example.

I send email to john doe @ gmail.com
Server sends me back message as undeliverable.
Is there a record that this email was unsuccessfully delivered on the john doe side of things?

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
I'm a little out of practice, but if memory serves the answer is no.

If it can't find the recipient to complete the attempt, it can't find the address to leave any kind of footprint. It's like not being able to deliver a piece of mail. If you can't find the house, they wont know you drove by.

wallie40

Established Member
Yes the mail server is going to log that the mailbox doesnt exist. It is going to differ between, postfix, sendmail and Exchange, but you get the idea.

Last edited:

SweetSVT99

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
A lot of variables to consider here, including, the type mail server, the level of logging it is configured to do, whether or not the message ever even reached the mail server, and what the reason for it being returned was. Just to name a few.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
in GENERAL the answer is no.

John doe will NOT receive any notification that the email was attempted

if there is a connection problem between your mail server and his mail server there will be no record of anything, BUT in this case you will GENERALLY get an email that says your was delayed but they will keep trying .. before you get the undeliverable.

if his email box was full he will not get a notification but there MIGHT be a log of it in the receiving email server IF they have those logged. if logging is not turned on there will be no record.

if the email address does not exist the answer is above there MIGHT be if logging is turned on. but not likely. administrators generally don't care about nonexistent mailboxes.

So I have a very random question. If I'm emailing somebody and the message is returned as undeliverable, is there any record the email tried to be delivered on there end?

For example.

I send email to john doe @ gmail.com
Server sends me back message as undeliverable.
Is there a record that this email was unsuccessfully delivered on the john doe side of things?

13BremboGT

Established Member
Your undeliverable reply message should have included an SMTP code that will give you some idea as to why the email failed. It may or may not have left an error message on the recipient's email server depending on if it even made it to their server or not.

SirShaun

Established Member
John Doe will 99% not receive a notification unless he is the mail server admin.

The error should have a number code associated with it, in which you can google more info on the error. It is possible you never made it to John Doe's mail server because John Doe's firewall could have bounced it before it even reached the mail server. I've also seen where Mail Server Anti Virus will perform a second layer of blocking.

I am guessing most likely you are sending an email from a not so great third party mail host. John Doe's firewall has an up to date black list. Your email host has been black listed due to scammers and solicitators using the same provider as you.

Hopefully John Doe's mail server is in house and your domain/mail provider can be added to the allow list.

If you do use a third party email host provider, you may want to think about changing if you begin to see emails getting bounced back.

Users who are viewing this thread