Very odd noise from my rebuilt 2.2- please help diagnose

DaveHutch

Bullets and Cars n stuff
Established Member
Okay, to start off, my motor was just put in the car, and i finally finished the car/started it the other day. Its running on an old tune, so its running rich/ backfiring and is open headers as of right now.

the motor is for sure idling very low, about 500-600 rpms, but the problem lays with the noise the blower is making.

the blower was bought off here from a member who had it rebuilt. He put 500 miles on it, and said it was running great.

i have no clue what can be the issue, the few things i can think are

1. i removed the snout to polish it, but when i put it back on It was put on exactly how it came off, and all bolts tightened down correctly.

i just put new oil in, showing between the 2 lines as it should.( the KB oil per specifications.)

2. my belt is not super tight, so i thought maybe it was slipping, but was at such a low RPM, that you wouldnt hear a squeal, its just not spinning the blower fast enough. that in combination with the low idle, and maybe the blower is not up to RPMs? the sound almost sounds "slow" ...like its lagging. I took the snout back off, everything looks good. the snout, and case turn with ease, sound clean and free of any scraping noises.

I just cant figure this out. anyone heard this before?

thanks very much.

Here are the videos, sorry for the exhaust, the x pipe and catback are going on in the next few days.

PS, All vacuum lines are connected and there does not seem to be any vacuum leaks.
th_IMG_3932.jpg

th_IMG_3922.jpg

photo-38.jpg

photo-37.jpg

Last edited:

mach1033

Established Member
Hmm what does the member that you bought it from have to say about it? There should be some warranty with the rebuild correct?

DaveHutch

Bullets and Cars n stuff
Established Member
im lucky because he said hes willing to help in any way possible. Im not sure on the warranty, i actually bought this from him a little over a year ago. i just never got to run it because i have been slowly building my car.

DaveHutch

Bullets and Cars n stuff
Established Member
he said they usually dont warranty on rebuilds....he said he literally doesnt think theres anything wrong with the blower, he said he put 500 miles on it before he took it off and it ran amazing. its got to be something hooked up wrong, but ive gone over it time and time again.

DaveHutch

Bullets and Cars n stuff
Established Member
very odd diagnosis, but the more i read, some people have found that this noise is actually the alternator? it would explain why the motor surges so much...and

DaveHutch

Bullets and Cars n stuff
Established Member
photo-36.jpg

ok upon having my girlfriend kick the car over tonight a few times, i heard something sorta come from the back of the blower, a pressure release type noise. i couldnt tell if its oil, or gas, but its sitting in the back of the blower in this picture. it happened everytime the car would sputter, then kick back up in rpms. i have NO idea where it was coming out of.

Users who are viewing this thread