Very annoying high pitch whine after driveshaft installation, HELP pls.

jojobee

Established Member
Hi guys,

I recently installed a one piece aluminium driveshaft to my ride and did the transmission fluid swap at the same time. I also did BMR relocation brackets.

Immediately after leaving the shop i said to myself hummm my ride was quieter before, at that time i was thinking it was the relocation brackets.

I hear a high pitch whine that seems to be coming from the trans/driveshaft area. It doesnt seem to be coming from the rear.
The noise appears as soon as the car moves forward and definetly increases a lot when i give it some gas and accelerates. It seems to almost disappear when i lift my foot from the gas.

Now that i have driven the car for a few weeks, the noise is driving me crazy cause at low speed with the windows open i feel im driving a futuristic vehicle :)

I am eliminated the relocation brackets as the root cause since this is not a road noise.

I have swapped back my tranny fluid thinking it might have been the cause without success. The Amsoil fluid did not cause my trans to start whining.

I have asked my shop about my pinion angle and was told they set it up at -2.

I have also read that some aluminium driveshaft will increase noise coming from the trans. I never heard any noise with my stock ds but the design is different and is built to absorb noise.

I have also driven the car hard at high speed and there is no vibration coming from the aluminium driveshaft.

I contacted Dynotech and they responded that a faulty installation wouldnt cause the whine but mostly vibrations if that was the case.

At this point i am about to either bring the car to the dealer to check the trans or put back the stock one in place.

What do you suggest i do ?
I am sure my dealer will say its fine or its you mods creating the issue.
(they're the same ones who took 30h to diagnose a bad cps sensor on my car..)

To say im pissed about all the issues i've had with this car is an understatement.

Need ideas if i end up at the dealer and they starts arguing.

Sorry for the long rant but im out of ideas at this point.

Thanks.

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
Its probably the 82mm pulley! I'd pull it off and sell it for dirt cheap ASAP! J/K. Sorry to hear about ur problems man, will you be able to hit the track next weekend?

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
1st place i would start is the pinion angle, -2 is the max setting which means your rear is at the furthest point from 0, i would reset it to -1. Technically whine can come from 2 areas the tranny and the rear diff. So the noise is coming from 1 of those areas. It wouldn't hurt to put the the old drive shaft back in just to see if it goes away. The oem shaft has dampner weights on it and i believe they are there to reduce noise. Try those 2 things before you go to the dealership. I have an aluminum driveshaft with all the aftermarket suspension pieces and no whine! So its gotta be something that can be fixed!

Last edited:

mantis118

Established Member
Put the two piece driveshaft back in and sell me the 1 piece for stupid cheap... problem solved.... lol prob the pinion angle. Also as mentioned before the 3.73 cars have noise gears (mine included).

jojobee

Established Member
Put the two piece driveshaft back in and sell me the 1 piece for stupid cheap... problem solved.... lol prob the pinion angle. Also as mentioned before the 3.73 cars have noise gears (mine included).

I do have 3.73 but the noise wasnt there before the driveshaft and my other mods install i did when the car came out of storage.

If its the driveshaft it wont stay there...Dynotech says its not the driveshaft the issue.

Im lowered 1in on P spring and was told to use the second hole in my BMR relo brackets.

Before i put in the driveshaft i had the pinion angle at stock angle, i asked to adjust it for my driveshaft.
According to my installer and what i read on the net -2 is about right.

Am i wrong....?

jojobee

Established Member
Its probably the 82mm pulley! I'd pull it off and sell it for dirt cheap ASAP! J/K. Sorry to hear about ur problems man, will you be able to hit the track next weekend?

Planning on having my installer look at it saturday morning and hit the track next week with a 82mm pulley up for sale ;)

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
The whine could be from the gears an the 2pc was suckin up the noise but with the 1pc an no rubber could all the nosie to transfer for you to hear

jojobee

Established Member
The whine could be from the gears an the 2pc was suckin up the noise but with the 1pc an no rubber could all the nosie to transfer for you to hear
The funny part is that i alway tought that the noise i hear could be travelling from the trans do the driveshaft, i guess the opposite could also be true.
Im wondering if a Ford dealer would do something about noisy gears.
I had in my mind to switch to 3.31, maybe it would help.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
The funny part is that i alway tought that the noise i hear could be travelling from the trans do the driveshaft, i guess the opposite could also be true.
Im wondering if a Ford dealer would do something about noisy gears.
I had in my mind to switch to 3.31, maybe it would help.

If your naturally aspirated i'd go with 3:55's it gives you the best of both 3:73's and 3:31's.. If you plan to get a turbo or s/c 3:31's are good.

jojobee

Established Member
I assume you have jacked the car and put it on jack stands and run it "static" through the gears to see if the noise presents itself so you can pin point it.

The Snake

Hummm, no.
Strange enough i dont have a jack yet but am looking for one and jack stands too. I would love to do all my mechanic but with my 4 young boys i simply cant do anything that takes time otherwise my tools and parts start disappearing.

Having a car port, no garage doesnt help either.

I was thinking of doing something similar on a dyno since its easy to go under (that MD dyno anyway), i guess it can be done safely on a lift too.

jojobee

Established Member
If your naturally aspirated i'd go with 3:55's it gives you the best of both 3:73's and 3:31's.. If you plan to get a turbo or s/c 3:31's are good.

Im already fully modded, 600 rwhp with my smaller pulley.
Ive heard often that 3.73 were noisy by design, hopefully 3.31 would be better in that area.

01bluesnake

Established Member
I would never be anywhere near rollers of a dyno with my head, or under a car for noise checking while running on a dyno. besides that, might be hard to pinpoint the noise with a combination of the dyno itself. Why don't you just bring the car to a shop or even the dealer and ask to raise it on a two post while spinning the tires slow to see if you can replicate the noise? also, i dont think i seen it mentioned, but how long ago did you install the upper and lower rear control arms?

GeorgiaSnake

Established Member
yes it can. I had a pesky vibration in a 66 I used to have and I jacked it so I could look all under it while it was in gear and found it was my tranny rear bushing causing my drive shaft to vibrate. Just get a jack, stands and a friend and power it up. Use a flashlight even if its daylight to assist in doing your visuals. I am an aircraft mechanic and a trained inspector as well. I would try this myself before going to a shop. You may even be able to locate the sound while remaining relatively clear of the car while it is powered for safety.

The Snake

Last edited:

jojobee

Established Member
I would never be anywhere near rollers of a dyno with my head, or under a car for noise checking while running on a dyno. besides that, might be hard to pinpoint the noise with a combination of the dyno itself. Why don't you just bring the car to a shop or even the dealer and ask to raise it on a two post while spinning the tires slow to see if you can replicate the noise? also, i dont think i seen it mentioned, but how long ago did you install the upper and lower rear control arms?

Safety first absolutely.
I installed the headers, relo brackets, driveshaft, at the same time a month ago not long after getting my car back from storage.
My upper and lower arms were installed more than a year ago.
Before my latest mods i had no whine.

jojobee

Established Member
yes it can. I had a pesky vibration in a 66 I used to have and I jacked it so I could look all under it while it was in gear and found it was my tranny rear bushing causing my drive shaft to vibrate. Just get a jack, stands and a friend and power it up. Use a flashlight even if its daylight to assist in doing your visuals. I am an aircraft mechanic and a trained inspector as well. I would try this myself before going to a shop. You may even be able to locate the sound while remaining relatively clear of the car while it is powered for safety.

The Snake

In my case it doesnt vibrate at all, if it does i cannot feel it.
I drove it above 140mph at the track with no vibration.

Users who are viewing this thread