Vertical Core Vs. Horizontal Core Intercooler(ebay)

THAITED

Established Member
I don't know if anyone has ever tried to fit one on a Stang. If you look at a Mustang without the front bumper cover on it looks like there is plenty of room and the endtanks look like they would be in the right place too. The only thing that might need some work is how it is mounted. If you notice there are tabs on the endtanks that get drilled for the mounting brakets. You would just need to make the brakets to mount it.

Home Depot, that's where I found my brackets.

LS1PUSSOUT

Banned
Vertical intercooler can "shortroute" the air and not cool it enough. This is why almost NO car with a turbo uses them. The key to have a good horizontal intercooler is in the endtanks. This was a test that was done by a friend of mine when he was in engineering school. The results got him a job with Tial and he later started DV/DT Fab and makes intercoolers.

http://dvdtfab.com/intercoolertestlab.pdf

Ebay kits are only if you are trying to save money till you can buy something better down the line. Here is the better: Intercooler kit | DVDTFAB

i dont know about that my hellion intercooler is a vertical style and its good for 1000hp...

LS1PUSSOUT

Banned
It probably is good for 1000hp, but I think he's saying a different style would be more efficient.

well it must be pretty efficient if one is able to reach 1000hp with it. I really dont think it would make any more power if you switched to a horizontal style. short routing air through a pressurized intercooler doesnt even make sense. under boost the entire core is bieng used

Slow99x

Established Member
Your air makes two 90 degree turns to just go in and out of the intercooler. What is more efficient making two turns or going straight? Did you even look at the tech page I posted?

Bluebullit

Established Member
he was explaining the differences i believe but now i dont wanna take my car and get it dynoed cause now im making less :( oh well it looks better cause i couldnt make it fit the way you did

xTomKx

Established Member
Vertical intercooler can "shortroute" the air and not cool it enough. This is why almost NO car with a turbo uses them. The key to have a good horizontal intercooler is in the endtanks. This was a test that was done by a friend of mine when he was in engineering school. The results got him a job with Tial and he later started DV/DT Fab and makes intercoolers.

http://dvdtfab.com/intercoolertestlab.pdf

Ebay kits are only if you are trying to save money till you can buy something better down the line. Here is the better: Intercooler kit | DVDTFAB

That's a good paper on intercooler end tanks but we were focussing on the number, lenght and size of the air passages in vertical and horizontal intercoolers and not so much the end tanks. There are many end tanks designs for both styles. Would your friend be interested in doing some testing of the differences in vertical and horizontal style intercoolers?

I get a kick out of those ebay intercoolers. They are hudge and when installed most the intercooler sits behind the bumper cover. Many people don't realize that the most important thing that an intercooler needs is atmospheric air flow on the outside to cool the core. If a good portion of the intercooler is behind a bumper cover and not getting any air flow then the air inside is just flowing through without any significant temperature change. I can go for a short ride in my turbo car and when I feel the inlet pipe to the intercooler it feels hot. The outlet pipe temp feels almost atmospheric. I never measured the temperature drop but I can tell you that it is amazing for a small horizontal intercooler.

Also keep in mind that the loss coefficients for the bends in the piping will have different effects on turbo and supercharger systems because turbos use waste heat from the engine and do not consume mechanical energy like superchargers. That's why it is a coefficient and will only be used in another formula to calculate the actual power loss of the system. It only gets more complicated from here and I feel like I'm about to open pandora's box.

xTomKx

Established Member
Your air makes two 90 degree turns to just go in and out of the intercooler. What is more efficient making two turns or going straight? Did you even look at the tech page I posted?

That's not exactly true. Just look at the flow diagrams through the intercooler in your friends report and you will see that most of the air in a horizontal intercooler has to turn anyway.

Slow99x

Established Member
Where is it tuning in his design other than the piping bends? The shape of the tanks are directing the airflow where it needs to go instead of forcing it to slam into itself and then making the turn because it has nowhere else to go like in a vertical core.

Last edited:

LS1PUSSOUT

Banned
Where is it tuning in his design other than the piping bends? The shape of the tanks are directing the airflow where it needs to go instead of forcing it to slam into itself and then making the turn because it has nowhere else to go like in a vertical core.

huh? most vertical core intercoolers dont have to make a huge turn before hitting the core. these intercoolers are really efficient....
airtoair.jpg

Slow99x

Established Member
huh? most vertical core intercoolers dont have to make a huge turn before hitting the core. these intercoolers are really efficient....
airtoair.jpg

I don't know what you are seeing in that picture but to me that looks like air needs to make a complete 180 degree turn in a small area. The less turns air makes, the faster it moves.

Bluebullit

Established Member
I don't know what you are seeing in that picture but to me that looks like air needs to make a complete 180 degree turn in a small area. The less turns air makes, the faster it moves.

Yeah but look at the paxton intercooler you would think that thing would suck but it seems to do the job pretty good and it has a sharper turn than that one

Users who are viewing this thread