Vert or coupe, I cant decide

03kobra

Established Member
I had an 03 coupe....had to sell last year for financial issues, Im going to get an 04 but cant decide if I want a vert or not. Any probs with them? Is the rag top fading at all? Mechanical issues? Also when do you think Ford will run out of 04's, Im planning on waiting as long as possible to get a bigger down payment. Thanks!

Rearpl8tsinsite

QQQQ
Established Member
Having a vert in Ca is ideal but they are so easy to break into. Plus Ford recommends you replace the top every 5 years. My gf has a 99 6 banger vert. Her tranny had probs and when she brought it in to them they tried to tell her what a new top would cost and its almost time to replace it. WTF??

Get a coupe. Much better looking, quicker, and aero dynamic.

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
AS far as the top dont worry so much about that if you use your Haartz protectant with UV and remember the more up and dow you do you migh have to spary folded area more. Neve leave top down over night all this helps

For 5 years I dont think that is true with the Cobra. Our tops are of the same material Jaguar uses on theres its a canvas material and feels fuzzy even. Very nice material, I cant believe 5 years it is that bad.

My wife talked me into a vert intead of the coupe. Im glad. Its cool to have a real high performance car in a vert.

04Screamer

Established Member
The only thing that has stopped me from getting a vert was the fact that if you plan on racing it, the first mod will have to be a roll bar. That aside, I would go with a vert.

MTI LS1

If your gonna use the car for a weekend cruiser/play car, I would say get the vert. If your gonna be taken it to the track and driving it everyday, definately a coupe no question. Good luck in your decision.

Zach

eddy z

Established Member
this is my second cobra vert. i will not go back to coupe, unless i soley raced on the track.. vert is awesome...

akaeric

Established Member
I just got out of a 2003 coupe and into a 2004 vert to start the only reason was it was a mystichrome but now that I got it I like the extra weight unless they change some adjustments makes the car ride alot smoother cause I'm not going out to race so the weight dosen't bother me and I don't know again if they built a tighter car this year but I don't have those funny noises like I did with the 2003 that alot of other people complained about my 2003 rattled the first day I drove it how then the engine begin to tick and the left front had a rolling squeak. Didn't mean to get of the subject it depends on what you plan to do with it if your after speed the coupe do to weight and if you live in a high crime area like Rearpl8tsinsite said they are easy to break into. I love my vert so far but you can hear your exhaust constantly if you put catbacks on they don't quit down as well in 6th gear but hardly any wind noise they are tight. I have a garage to which will protect my top.

Last edited:

oldnfast

approaching ancient
Established Member
I have an 03 vert. Couldn't be happier. The top is not a concern, it's much better material than on a standard Mustang. If you'll do a lot of racing, get the coupe. If you're just into some "friendly" dragging, get some QA1's for the rear & some bigger, softer tires. If you want to play hard on a road course, put in a light-bar, or better yet a roll cage, and the shocks and springs from a coupe (still not for serious twisting). I installed a light-bar, wind guard, and tonneau. The Mrs & I like to take trips. With everything in place, you can roll up the door windows and be almost wind-free (and it looks OK). You can't beat the look of a vert with a Spyder Kit. If you want a pic, e-mail me (I've used up enough space here already). :rolling:

oldnfast
[email protected]

Goldy

Established Member
To me, it's simple...if you like to do open-tracking, go with the coupe. Otherwise, the vert!!!

RedfireVert

Las Vegas SEMA 2005 -
Established Member
Originally posted by Rearpl8tsinsite
Having a vert in Ca is ideal but they are so easy to break into.

This is true.

I have a vert and I'm very careful where I leave it. I never park it on the street overnight.

The top material is from Jag and is excellent. After a 1-1/2 years there is no degradation on mine. However, mine is garaged 24/7.

Get a coupe. Much better looking, quicker, and aero dynamic.

IMO, I don't think a coupe is "much better looking". Actually, the opposite is true especially when you're cruising PCH with the top down.:)

The coupe is 120 lbs. lighter...so the coupe's advantage is a little more than a tenth in 0-60 and the quarter. That's a tiny advantage, and becomes a non-issue after the modding begins...

If you are going to race, buy the coupe. If top down motoring appeals, then buy the vert. Most vert owners are happy with their rides.

cdh027

Established Member
I wouldnt trade the open air cruising on a nice summer day and/or summer night for anything.

f2fast4u

Established Member
If the vert would be the only car you own, then you just have to be careful where you take it because there are places you just don't want to take and leave them. But once you own one you'll always want one. Coolest ride in town. Even my buddy with a new vet wishes he'd gotten a convertible now after he rode in mine.

kencobra

Face Down In Cabo
Established Member
I never cosidered a vert until my wife bought her '96 gt. Since then we have owned an 88 gt, 2001 gt, 2003 gt and 2003 cobra, all verts. IMO we should have a bigger vehicle but neither one of us wants to give up our verts. Buy the vert put the top down and have fast fun.

Users who are viewing this thread