Vert fabric top

terminatd

Established Member
I just took in the cobra to have the fabric top tightened under warranty. It had started to sag from new and the sub contracted upholstery shop said that it would get worse. If anyone has a saggy or drooping vert top, its a warranty item and don't let ford try to fix it, use a qualified automotive upholstery shop. I'll report how it turns out.

a94cobra

Established Member
Mine was doing that. Took it in, they subbed it out to a good shop and it's all fixed now.

OrigTXCobra

Mustang Nut!
Established Member
Uggh, another thing to worry about. What did the guy mean it would get worse...even after he fixed it or only if he didn't fix it?

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
I was tormenting someone in a gt vert about a week ago, as soon as we hit about 110 his top went WOOOOOF and balooned up, it was pretty entertaining:-D

damn edit again, my speeling suks

terminatd

Established Member
It would get worse if it wasn't tightened. It wasn't really noticeably loose, just not as tight as new with the ribs showing a little too much and a crease starting in the back behind the quarter window. If you think it has sagged at all you can get it tightened.

OrigTXCobra

Mustang Nut!
Established Member
Thanks Terminatd. Kevin, I know what you mean, although I think there is a significant difference in GT tops and Cobra tops....GT Tops seem to do tha alot more. Cobra Tops are alot quieter and tighter in my opinion, but maybe it's just the material.

terminatd

Established Member
Well, I just picked up the Cobra from the upholstery shop. The top is nice and tight. The tech said that the fabric tops stretch more than the vinyl ones on the GT. He tightened the fabric 1" and stated that the staples did't even line up with the corresponding marks on the roof fabric. Poor quality from the factory. As I said before, the top didn't look really bad before. This is a before pic..if your top looks this loose go get it tightened.

terminatd

Established Member
Lightly hit the roof fabric between the ribs. It should be tight and not flap. If it does it is loose and can be tightened. There are also wrinkles that appeared behind the side window. The tightening eliminated them. Its difficult to show in pics.

Users who are viewing this thread