Verizon 5MB home internet

96dreamer

Established Member
Well so far so good. This is upstairs probably about 10ft from the router but through a wall and floor.

I do get some goofy stuff going on with connection speeds on both my wife and I's work computers but I think that's more to do with our ridiculous work vpns and firewalls. It will test at 300+then fall to like 30. Restarting the computer or router usually kicks it back up to 300ish.

Coverage in the house isn't the best but I don't think it's any worse than my old nighthawk AC1750. I have the router in probably the worst place in the house. The corner of the basement in a closet.

96dreamer

Established Member
Not 20 minutes after my last post a storm came through and knocked out verizon service in my area‍:rolleyes:. Hadn't canceled the charter internet yet so I plugged plugged the old modem and router back in. Estimate repair time is 12-20 hours.

I told my wife this was the one downside to the 5g internet. We haven't lost service in the two years since switching to Verizon so I figured The chances of that happening were pretty low. Just my luck.

Edit: For comparison sake since the old service is reconnected.

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
This is just now using Speedtest through my Orbi router:

1681594231237.png

This is a high-traffic time in my area with a 4K show streaming as I type this. I can get up to 300+Mbps during some periods.

I have T-Mobile 5G Internet. I also invested in a cell signal booster and put the booster's transmitter antenna in the same room where the T-Mobile modem unit sits.

I was paying over a hundred bucks a month more for Cox gigabit internet that for some reason never gave me more than 250Mbps down and was unreliable as a one-legged horse. This internet might be "slower" but it's fast enough to allow my house to stream multiple 4K shows/movies into different rooms, and gaming is more reliable than with Cox. My son used to complain all the time about our old internet.

rborden

Established Member
I have Starlink Satellite. **** it’s fast as hell! It has a built in warmer so if it snows it melts it off the dish. No issues in rain. I can download a 2 GB movie in less than 5 mins. Cool thing is I can take it camping with me if I want, even way out in bfe.

Price is $125/ mo
The equipment was $680 though.

I’ll never go back to cable or dsl.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
What they're offering in my area now. To think I grew up with 56k lol
View attachment 1789772
Can regular computers and shit even take advantage of speeds that fast? Mine is advertised up to like 980mb, but wired it is only ever around like high 600s and wireless it's like 350 because I don't think my phone will run any faster than that.

I imagine you'd have to spend a shit load on some wicked equipment to use it. @treynor Ben do you use speeds this quick out there?

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Can regular computers and shit even take advantage of speeds that fast? Mine is advertised up to like 980mb, but wired it is only ever around like high 600s and wireless it's like 350 because I don't think my phone will run any faster than that.

I imagine you'd have to spend a shit load on some wicked equipment to use it. @treynor Ben do you use speeds this quick out there?
See above your post for my speeds. I mean technically they're not wrong, they're not claiming you'll always get those speeds.

Far as wifi speeds being different vs wired, that comes goes down to your router, devices connected, wifi radio connection and range.

The Nighthawk AX3600 mesh system I have is $300 right now, so nothing crazy expensive. This is for 1Gbps though, never tried any faster lol

treynor

Confirmed Power Junkie
Established Member
Premium Member
SVTP OG 4 Life

There isn't much need for ultra high speeds in a home setting. Streaming uses ~50 Mbps (for 4K) , downloads are usually rate-limited by the hosting service to ~100 Mbps, so add up all the uses together and maybe 400 Mbps is helpful but 1 Gbps is unlikely to make a lick of difference.

It's like the new Demon 170. Is 1025HP more than 840? Absolutely. Will you be able to tell the difference on the street? Only if you go WOT above 90 MPH.

Users who are viewing this thread