Venting PCV to atm

White_96Cobra

Established Member
Is it a problem to vent the PCV valves on the heads to atmosphere rather than doing a stock set up because of the way I have done my blower install and do not want to put pressurized air into the crank case... I have read information that could go in either direction.

03bluemach

Established Member
Yes you can put breathers on both sides (Not just one has to be both ), only down side is you will get a little brunt oil smell now and agian .. i just put a one way check valve on mine with my catch can setup so the boost wouldn't push the pcv closed . got it one ebay i think i was 3/8 in size

Z7What

Powered By Eaton
Established Member
I Y'ed mine together and ran a line all the down the frame rails, down my traction bar, and dumped it by the rear axle. It would put oil all over the rear axle of the truck. I would highly suggest if you do vent it put a catch can on it with a breather on it.

I run one of these on a friends Harley, we ran a line from each valve cover to the ports on the side and mounted the catch can between the heat exchanger fans and then we screwed a barb fitting on to the top of the catch can and ran a line up to behind the hood latch and mounted the breather filter there. That way the oil wouldnt come out the filter and its still vented to atmosphere. And its nice to have the drain port on the bottom.

http://www.maperformance.com/jaz-one-pint-mini-breather-catch-can.html

Wayne

Last edited:

CobraMac

Established Member
When you vent the PCV to atmosphere you will get an oil vapor smell and you will physically see the oil vapor rising as well (smoke basically). Mine has a catch can and lines ran to it. I like it personally, but there really is no physical evidence of it being more beneficial then recirculating it.

RSbeast

Established Member
I've found it benifits greatly on an older boosted engine. Excessive blowby tends to wet the maf and oil can puddle in the bottom of intercoolers. Also to be noted you can't just add a vented catch can with the pcv hooked up and factory setup as an oil separator as it will create a vaccum leak. It has to be sealed if it is still relying on an intake draw.

White_96Cobra

Established Member
I've found it benifits greatly on an older boosted engine. Excessive blowby tends to wet the maf and oil can puddle in the bottom of intercoolers. Also to be noted you can't just add a vented catch can with the pcv hooked up and factory setup as an oil separator as it will create a vaccum leak. It has to be sealed if it is still relying on an intake draw.

Ok so I'm missing something here... Is it just the oil vapors in the air that go in through the intake and get to the MAF and IC that way? I am running a blow through set up BTW.

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
Not to hijack the thread or anything, but has anyone thought of a PCV "Vacuum pump"? I know they may have done it on racecars, but Im not sure what the benefits (if any) would be on the street.

There should be benefits to having a slight vacuum in the crankcase, shouldn't there? From the factory, the tubes connect to the intake tract, in essence, creating a slight vacuum when the engine is running.

Rather than having a belt driven setup that consumes crank HP, one could hook up a small electrical pump and the system could serve a dual purpose of an oil separator.

Just a thought.

I have breathers on both sides, BTW. I don't really notice any oil smell.

Homer

White_96Cobra

Established Member
Not to hijack the thread or anything, but has anyone thought of a PCV "Vacuum pump"? I know they may have done it on racecars, but Im not sure what the benefits (if any) would be on the street.

There should be benefits to having a slight vacuum in the crankcase, shouldn't there? From the factory, the tubes connect to the intake tract, in essence, creating a slight vacuum when the engine is running.

Rather than having a belt driven setup that consumes crank HP, one could hook up a small electrical pump and the system could serve a dual purpose of an oil separator.

Just a thought.

I have breathers on both sides, BTW. I don't really notice any oil smell.

Homer

I have actually heard of this. I don't know that for a street application the benefit would be that great.

And as my motor is a higher mile motor I do notice the oil smell. I have been having MAF issues leading me to believe that I
1. Have a defective MAF or 2. Am getting oil on my MAF not letting the car run. I am trying to trouble shoot the problem on what is going on.

RSbeast

Established Member
That's called an accusump system. Ill post a bigass thing later with pics to explain. This is one of the worst documented common issues on every forum with TONS of misinformation floating around. I'm on a cell phone currently so you'll have to wait.

RSbeast

Established Member
I lied about the accusump btw. That's. For oil scavenging and storing incase of loss of oil pressure.

RSbeast

Established Member
I lied about the accusump thing btw. That's for scavenging off oil and keeping it pressurized in a small reserve incase of a failure.

RSbeast

Established Member
Ok, Here's a few quick diagrams I drew up for running both a stock setup, using a sealed catch can and a vented catch can, or with using open breathers on a stock setup aswell. ALL VENTED SETUPS CAN BE RUN WITH OPEN BREATHERS ON ALL OPENINGS AND NO CATCH CAN IF YOU DESIRE.

No matter which setup; you want to evacuate the gasses formed in the crankcase as they can be corrosive and create blowby/premature failure of the rings through excessive crankcase pressure. This is also useful for keeping your MAF and intercooler clean. Older engines should ABSOLUTELY run some sort of catch can as they like to spit out more oil from ring wear; double especially when boosted.

SEE BELOW:

pcvlayoutssealedcatch.jpg

pcvlayoutsventedcatch.jpg

Hopefully that helps to clear some things up!! :)

RSbeast

Established Member
White96Cobra

PM me about your issue as I troubleshot a similar one in my old 5.0 car. Do you run a secondary inline pump like a t-rex? The instructions per vortech were bogus as the hot feed to the relay was to be tapped from the fuse box and not a battery hot off a bulkhead or terminal. Short end is that it had blown the fuse to my secondary inline pump and although the intank 190 could push through it; it restricted it to whenever it needed the fuel; it just went ultra lean and spit.

Make sure your secondary inline is on and receiving 12v to the pump; along with a fresh fuel filter. Obviously one of the pumps is working; find out which one. Solve that and I bet you'll solve your problem. Even on a extremely poor tune; you can still have throttle tip in.

Also be sure your PCV system is correct. Clean your MAF including the hotwires and hotplate and be sure your plugs are gapped at .028- .025 and are of the correct heat range. Standard copper resistor seem to work best although a race plug with a fat short groundstrap works even better.

Last edited:

RSbeast

Established Member
Also note in my s/c and blown applications the vaccum lines are to be shown running underneath the pipe going into the engine. The same principle of the turbo setup can be used with a blow through intercooled centrifugal setup.

Users who are viewing this thread