Velgen Wheels Info

Tytus2012

Established Member
Ok guy I have a DD car and I am seriously looking at these wheels. They are 20x9 +35 and 20x10.5 +45. I think the look extremely good and at a good price. Now remember this is a DD and I cant seem to justify putting a 3.5-10k wheel on my car because i would die if it got scratched. Ok my question is does anyone have any experience with these wheels and if so what was your take? I already have it down to mpss 275/35/20 for the front with a toyo r888 315/30/20 for the back. I will try the back tire out for my DD and see how it handles 1) 757hp and 675tq. 2) treadwear 3) ride quality/road noise 4) RAIN :shrug:

My biggest question does anyone have any Input on these and your thoughts on them?

Mods are in my sig.

Thanks guys.

Silver_Bullet

Established Member
My biggest concern with these wheels will be how well do they hold up. Our cars are not light, which is never kind on a cast wheel. The factory wheels are forged because the car weighs 2 tons. I've seen lots of folks running the Velgens and Vossens, but probably not their DD.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
someone on here is running them but can't remember, however swing on over to the gt500 section and check there.

Paul@HI

Established Member
I know I am a vendor for Velgen but I am also a customer. While there are many brands that we carry that I have never personally owned, I do have a set of Velgen wheels on my personal DD.

The wheels are excellent. Many of you know me and know our company, I would not risk our reputation by personally endorsing the brand unless they were stellar.

Tytus2012

Established Member
I know I am a vendor for Velgen but I am also a customer. While there are many brands that we carry that I have never personally owned, I do have a set of Velgen wheels on my personal DD.

The wheels are excellent. Many of you know me and know our company, I would not risk our reputation by personally endorsing the brand unless they were stellar.

Paul can I fit a 315/30 r888 on that wheel with my mods? Also will I have to modify anything?

Torchy

Established Member
I DD on the wheel your talking about and have nothing but good things to say. They were better than my 19's. Good balance between weight and strength.

Go to Velgens site. They have a vid on how they are made and the actual production of them. Very high quality have strict standards. Every wheel gets tested before sent to America.

Paul@HI

Established Member
Paul can I fit a 315/30 r888 on that wheel with my mods? Also will I have to modify anything?

The 315 almost always requires fender mods with this size wheel.

To be perfectly honest, the largest effective tire for a 10.5" wide wheel is a 305. A 315 is nearly 3/4" wider than the wheel. A tire is only as effective as the contact surface it is mounted over.

I would recommend against the 315. Even if you do the mods to make it fit, you are not seeing the performance increases that would justify that type of modification.

Tytus2012

Established Member
The 315 almost always requires fender mods with this size wheel.

To be perfectly honest, the largest effective tire for a 10.5" wide wheel is a 305. A 315 is nearly 3/4" wider than the wheel. A tire is only as effective as the contact surface it is mounted over.

I would recommend against the 315. Even if you do the mods to make it fit, you are not seeing the performance increases that would justify that type of modification.

Paul the toyo r888 315/30/20 are 12.52 wide. The 305/35 555r are 12.17 wide.
Do you think that would still be a problem since the r888 is 30 and not a 35?

Tytus2012

Established Member
I DD on the wheel your talking about and have nothing but good things to say. They were better than my 19's. Good balance between weight and strength.

Go to Velgens site. They have a vid on how they are made and the actual production of them. Very high quality have strict standards. Every wheel gets tested before sent to America.

What tires are you running on it right now?

Paul@HI

Established Member
Paul the toyo r888 315/30/20 are 12.52 wide. The 305/35 555r are 12.17 wide.
Do you think that would still be a problem since the r888 is 30 and not a 35?

The 315 is 12.52" wide and the wheel is 11.5" wide from edge to edge. So you have an extra 1/2" of rubber on each side of the wheel. The 30 profile will definitely help but it is still VERY close. I can't guarantee you won't have to make modifications with that size.

Tytus2012

Established Member
The 315 is 12.52" wide and the wheel is 11.5" wide from edge to edge. So you have an extra 1/2" of rubber on each side of the wheel. The 30 profile will definitely help but it is still VERY close. I can't guarantee you won't have to make modifications with that size.

Aren't the velgen wheels 10.5" wide? So one inch on each side? I have a 295 mpss right now so I have time to think about what tire I would like to put on. But it is great to hear about how strong these wheel are and the quality that they are.

Paul@HI

Established Member
Aren't the velgen wheels 10.5" wide? So one inch on each side? I have a 295 mpss right now so I have time to think about what tire I would like to put on. But it is great to hear about how strong these wheel are and the quality that they are.

Wheels are measured by the inside barrel. A wheel is "actually" 1" larger from edge to edge than what it is rated at.

So a 10.5" wheel has a 10.5" barrel but is 11.5" from outer edge to outer edge.

This is a little unknown fact about wheel sizes :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread