Vehicle was hit while "illegally" parked in Texas

RubberDown

the MAD hatter
Established Member
So, someone was nice enough to hit my car the other night in the middle of a rainstorm while it was parked in front of my house. I say "illegally" because it was within 3 inches of the curb, but facing the wrong direction. The harris county sherrifs department came out and didnt write me any tickets, but noted the expired registration and that the car was parked facing the wrong direction on the accident report. I showed the cop my new sticker I just hadnt put on yet, (I dont daily drive the car at all) but he didnt care and wrote it in anyways. His parting words were, "your insurance company is going to tell you to go F yourself because of this". I was reporting it on underinsured/uninsured because it was a hit and run. Do I need to worry about this? Am I at fault because I was facing the wrong way or my current registration sticker was not displayed? Lemme know.

Ryan Smith

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
I think what this will boil down to is how good is your insurance company. The officer has to note the facts; the vehicle registration and the vehicle parked facing the wrong way. I think the crash still would have happened regardless of how it was parked. In order to issue a citation on the registration it must be in operation at the time.

COBRA_ESQ

Established Member
The only issue the insurance carrier should have is was the way the vehicle parked a contributing factor in it getting hit.

94five0

*Click*
Established Member
Why didnt you move it first?

something about moving vehicles, contaminating a crime scene, preservation of evidence for the investigating officer..it's usally a nono unless it risks further accident/damage to property or persons.

KILRSVT

Established Member
I was illegally parked in a fire lane and a lady hit my car. her insurance paid for it all even
though I was parked where I shouldnt. It was not my fault since no one was in the car . I live in cali though

Users who are viewing this thread