vehicle speed sensor, WHERE?

MDK210

F150 Rep
Established Member
got a 01 and the needle mph bounces/doesnt keep up and the cruise control doesnt work. all research points to this sensor so i check out the haynes manual but it tells me absolutely nothing other than rear of the trans. got under there and found a wiring harness but couldnt find it, i unbolted what i thought it was and called ford who said that was a output sensor. he told me there was a trans one and the one i was talking about which is long and has a gear built into it. question is where the hell is it? anyone have a pic? ive been looking on the driver side rear.

99cobra09

"Stock Car"
Established Member
Its in the tranny, its all the way to the back near where the shifter bolts on, its a little sensor, its on the left top side of the transmission (sitting from the car)

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
interesting, the only one i know about is the one you mentioned.
im curious if someone knows this too, but i really think the ford guy is told you wrong.
i have had several trans in and out, and that is the only speed sensor that ive seen on there.
normally the speed sensor or output sensor...what ever you want to call it, goes on the tail shaft. I think you guys are thinking of the same thing, but you are calling it two different things.

the one on the tail shaft is the output shaft sensor, which is the one that you get your speedo off of.

and speed sensors are the ones at each wheel which is used more for ABS

K2AHollywood

Established Member
interesting, the only one i know about is the one you mentioned.
im curious if someone knows this too, but i really think the ford guy is told you wrong.
i have had several trans in and out, and that is the only speed sensor that ive seen on there.
normally the speed sensor or output sensor...what ever you want to call it, goes on the tail shaft. I think you guys are thinking of the same thing, but you are calling it two different things.
the one on the tail shaft is the output shaft sensor, which is the one that you get your speedo off of.
and speed sensors are the ones at each wheel which is used more for ABS

I don't think 99 or 01s have the gear. Our speedos are calibrated electronically.

True and true. Ours use an electronic driven VSS, pulse driven. However there is also a version that uses a shaft with a small gear, not sure what tranny it is for though, Ford originally tried telling me it was correct untill I pulled mine off and showed them. OP I have a brand new one in package, if you need let me know. Also as mention location is towards the tailshaft, driver side of the tranny

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
well is our different from the 03/04,
cause i am still having problems getting my speedo to work since i did the swap to an auto

MDK210

F150 Rep
Established Member
well the one i bought from the dealer yesterday is the long version and cost me about $60! the output sensor i pulled out didnt look like much and had a little bit of oil substance on the black round piece that sat inside. right now im confused cause the haynes manual shows the gear being that $60 part and theres no mention of a output sensor in the book. anyone got pics? i would take mine but internet wont be ready till tomorrow (new house).

MDK210

F150 Rep
Established Member
it was that damn piece i pulled out earlier! finally had some time to disconnect the sensor and test drive, sure enough the mph needle never moved! so if anyone needs the part # for a vehicle speed sensor in this application its ford xr3r-7h103 with -aa underneath if that means anything. about a $40 part from ford.

Users who are viewing this thread