Vehicle dynamics

Brickell gt500

Established Member
I hope I don't stray too of subject with this. I was wondering if anyone can explain to me how cars making more power and weighing less are slower than others?

Example: 2014 jaguar f type v8 s
Power :488hp/461tq
Weight: 3955
0-60 3.4
1/4 11.6@122
Source is motor trend

This car would give us a run for it. if not beat most of us. Giving that it's probably easier to launch.

Shelby is about 105 lbs lighter
And 174 hp more powerful.

Similar stats with a M5 0-60 3.7 11.9@122
Weighs 519 lbs more
Makes 87 hp less

Thanks

Van@RevanRacing

Brickell

Key is Motor Trend. You can't put too much merit in their articles.

In fact I lined up against one of these on the street when I first got my 14 and it wasn't even close.

Brickell gt500

Established Member
Come on. I was just using it as a reference point. The articles aren't what I swear by. Lol. I was thinking it might be gearing and traction. I just used those two examples because they are rear wheel drive. Lots of unsuspecting quick luxury cars out there. Thanks for the input.

GT500-lolz@MPG

Established Member
TRACTION.... Notice how low the trap speeds are?? Stock 13+ trap 126-129. Not to mention the factory tune and the clutch protection seriously limit what these cars can do..

Last edited:

jason6488

Established Member
Wow, this topic has a lot of variables to account for. I remember reading that some car manufacturers sent 'special' vehicles to magazine testers that had higher horsepower numbers than one you could buy off the showroom floor. The cars that get tested are modified all the time without the mods being accounted for. I remember one specific time a magazine had taken 3 muscle cars from 3 different manufactures and ran them for top speed on the salt flats. I know for a fact those 3 cars had speed limiters and I know from reading the article each car exceeded it's speed limit by 10 to 15 mph. Ergo the manufacturer had to ATLEAST delete the speed limiter in the software. They might have 'tuned' it for more power as well. I suspect the testers themselves allow bias to creep into their tests more than they realize or would care to admit. Mostly I think you just have multiple cars tested in different environments with different people driving the cars. You'll never get a true apples to apples comparison that way. Boiling a car down to its power to weight ratio is a good way to guestimate an outcome in acceleration, all other things NOT considered. I haven't done the math on that jag, but I'm willing to bet if you did you'd find it's physically impossible for a car that weighs 4000 pounds and has 488 fwhp to accelerate to 122mph in 1320ft.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I drove around with just drag radials, a tune and 4.10s for the last few months, I really feel that was an excellent almost perfect balance for the car. I'll probably ruin that balance with excessive power mods, but I'm OK with that :)
-J

Users who are viewing this thread