Vehicle Advice

boostaholic

Mile High
Established Member
I'm selling my tahoe so I can get out of debt and focus on school but I need a decent vehicle for a dd. I have about 3k to drop and I found 2 solid options locally:
1. Jeep Cherokee
2. Civic Hatch
I know the honda is ghey and yes I understand it is slow but I found a 93 with 2" springs, new struts, a fresh single cam vtec swap and a salvage title for $2k. The cherokee I can lift for next to nothing (I work at a 4 wheel shop) and flip pretty easily to make some cash if necessary. The hatch will get awesome mileage and I have worked on imports before so it won't be an issue. The cherokee will get worse mileage but I can wheel the hell out of it and it is cheap for parts as well. I'm really mixed up and am basically deciding between the two. I'm still planning on building a notchback this year so getting rid of the truck payment will free up alot of cash regardless. Any suggestions or insight guys? I'd rather have a mediocre car and finish school with financial stability at this point then have a $600/month truck payment (even though it is affordable).

Whizzle

Established Member
having a DD that gets wheeled is a bad idea. I know you work at a 4wd shop and all, but if you "wheel the hell out of it" youre gonna break stuff. One major weak spot in cherokees is the rear, which most people swap for an explorer 8.8. Id just get the civic

boostaholic

Mile High
Established Member
I have a 31 spline 9" with c clip elim for the cherokee but the 30+mpg is quite tempting, plus a $2000 honda in good shape is a pretty safe investment :shrug:

crazyj0n

Established Member
well how much does it snow? because that 4x4 will be a savior in the winter

Whizzle

Established Member
Youre gonna get less than 10 mpg in a cherokee with any "real" tire on it. I used to go wheelin with a guy that has an 89 (i think) cherokee with a pieced together 8" lift and 36"s. We would put gas in it before we left and when we got back:)

boostaholic

Mile High
Established Member
I drive a 2wd tahoe right now and have never had a problem getting around in the snow (grew up in minnesota/south dakota). The cherokee will get 32" tire max. I'm thinking it might be easier to keep my crawlers separate from the dd, I guess having anything with a lift that you drive every day isn't the best idea :poke:

Whizzle

Established Member
boostaholic said:
I drive a 2wd tahoe right now and have never had a problem getting around in the snow (grew up in minnesota/south dakota). The cherokee will get 32" tire max. I'm thinking it might be easier to keep my crawlers separate from the dd, I guess having anything with a lift that you drive every day isn't the best idea :poke:

its not a bad idea, its just not a great economical decision. You probably would be better off keeping them seperate. You can always buy a hunk of shit that runs to wheel but you probably wouldnt want the same for something you can drive every day:-D

SSKillerF150

Connoisseur of fine whine
Established Member
Do you want a DD that requires little to no upkeep, or a cool ass DD that you will be constantly be wrenching on? My advise is, get the el cheapo and finish school. Then build a ride that will make us all run for the tool shed.

Last edited:

QCmustang

Prez, Sykotic Concepts.
Established Member
i say get the honda, even tho you work at a 4 wheel shop and can get those parts for cheap. ITS STILL A CIVIC you can get anything for the civic for dirt cheap as long as you have the car your set. get the honda and just drive it.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
boostaholic said:
I'm selling my tahoe so I can get out of debt and focus on school but I need a decent vehicle for a dd.

If you are focusing on school what does it matter what you drive? Buy the one that gets the best mileage and will last until you are done with school.

boostaholic

Mile High
Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
If you are focusing on school what does it matter what you drive? Buy the one that gets the best mileage and will last until you are done with school.
I'm buying the civic but it just kills me cuz I build big expensive trucks all day long...I guess that's why I'm in school tho and I'd rather get to that point with less debt and don't worry I won't be posting stories about how my civic beat a gt because I'm honestly not concerned at this point :-D

Users who are viewing this thread