valvetrain sounds.

cobra_neill

Established Member
Manchester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
hey guys.

i have had a valvetrain noise for the past month or so coming from the passenger side of the car. its a difficult one to describe so bear with me.

its a clattering sound like slapping two coins together, the noise only comes on when the oil is warmed up and cruising at 30mph. 1mph over or under and the sound goes away. it isnt in the wheels as it goes away when the clutch is depressed, but i also cant replicate it when the car isnt under load at cruising speed.

i have been told by someone i trust that its the valve guides that may be causing the noise as the car has done over 100k now and they are problematic on our cars. he also told me that it cannot be lash adjusters as the noise isnt there constantly, it comes on as the car warms up and only at that speed. seems to be approx 1750rpm as the car has 4.10 gears in it.

heres the kicker. i asks my cousin to order the parts as he lives out there, and he was told that its not any of those issues, its a wrist pin making the sound. there are no mustang guys this side of the pond that know the 4v motors enough. im wondering what you guys make of this? anyone have similar symptoms? how did you fix it?

Neill

rideorange812

Established Member
more than likely trash got in a tensioner or its wore out. take a sethoscrope or a pry bar and set it on the timing car and trace the noise to where ever its from. I had to pull my timing cover off on my rebuilt dohc engine and addess the issue and it was a clogged up tensioner...

svtcobralover

Established Member
more than likely trash got in a tensioner or its wore out. Take a sethoscrope or a pry bar and set it on the timing car and trace the noise to where ever its from. I had to pull my timing cover off on my rebuilt dohc engine and addess the issue and it was a clogged up tensioner...

x2

cobra_neill

Established Member
Manchester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
im in the UK, so cant go to an auto parts store that would stock them unfortunately.

i have found kits to rebuild the timing chain setup, but they apparently dont work with 98 cams?

im going to do some inspecting tomorrow, hopefully this will give me an idea on what to change out.

Neill

Users who are viewing this thread