Valve question

badazzebz06

Established Member
Hey guys does anyone know if our valves close and stay closed when the motor shuts off only reason I'm asking is because I lost a washer possibly in my head port now I used an extremely strong telescopic magnet and I'm finding nothing I have swept and inspected all my valves they appear closed and I am seeing nothing....is it possible the washer dropped past a valve onto my piston? This would be awful...once again I am not sure the way this happened was I was removing lower intake bolts and a washer fell off a bolt got wedged inbetween lower intake and head where the gasket sits well I was taking off my kenne bell anyway I removed lower intake completely and gaskets and do not see the washers I have looked everywhere and can't find it....what are the chances it's slipped past a valve?

badazzebz06

Established Member
washer that goes on the lower intake to head bolts it may have fallen into one of the head ports from falling under the lower intake to head gasket and may have fallen into a port while i joceled the lower around to get it off

SlowSVT

Established Member
At full open I can see that washer getting past the valve. Either way, assume it has. If it has the head needs to come off unless you can fish it up to the spark plug hole then somehow try to retrieve thru the valve opening but that likely will be a long shot.

Avispa

Established Member
Ugh....no, the valves stay in the position they were at the time the engine stopped, closing only by a small amount related to leakdown of the lash adjusters.

If you dropped something in an intake port, the ONLY safe thing to do is assume it went past the valve into the cylinder unless you can retrieve it with a magnet from the port or from the spark plug hole.

It's a giant PITA having to pull a head to get a piece of metal out of a cylinder, but it's only a small fraction of the PITA you'll have if you try to run that motor with a metal whatever it is in a cylinder.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Were the bolts changed before..I thought the washers stay on oem bolts?.

Are you sure the washer is magnetic?

Have you tried fishing with something sticky?

badazzebz06

Established Member
Were the bolts changed before..I thought the washers stay on oem bolts?.

Are you sure the washer is magnetic?

Have you tried fishing with something sticky?

Ya bro aftermarket grade 8 bolts with stainless washers they are magnetic I had a few of the same from the other bolts I took off they are magnetic

badazzebz06

Established Member
Ugh....no, the valves stay in the position they were at the time the engine stopped, closing only by a small amount related to leakdown of the lash adjusters.

If you dropped something in an intake port, the ONLY safe thing to do is assume it went past the valve into the cylinder unless you can retrieve it with a magnet from the port or from the spark plug hole.

It's a giant PITA having to pull a head to get a piece of metal out of a cylinder, but it's only a small fraction of the PITA you'll have if you try to run that motor with a metal whatever it is in a cylinder.

Ur right bro I'm assuming it fell in I do not have the means to remove the head which means ima prob get raped when it comes to cost

hotcobra03

Established Member
how exactly did u do that? u remove body panels?

Very easy to do..just nuts and bolts..

I even have longtubes..I left it on..I did drivers side..

Its more how much do you really want to I tackle this..

I think to me worst part was headbolt install im old..and work solo

badazzebz06

Established Member
Very easy to do..just nuts and bolts..

I even have longtubes..I left it on..I did drivers side..

Its more how much do you really want to I tackle this..

I think to me worst part was headbolt install im old..and work solo

Lol I will give it a shot u should pm me pics on here

Users who are viewing this thread